K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  6:28:42 PM  Show Profile
Okay, I am just wondering what is your opinion on girls, young /& mature women getting tatoos? or piercings other than ears.

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309
Klamath Falls "Charming Chicks Chapter" Mother Hen

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Grandmas are mom's with more icing.

SuzieQ
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Suzie
Texas
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  6:35:20 PM  Show Profile
Being a nurse I am so way far against it, and lets say you got one on your lower back think how large and how low it will get as you age. I have seen several really bad tat's that the owner said that it used to be beautiful on men and women. Please don't pollute your skin with the inks and it does not matter if it is "natural ink". Love yourself as you are not as a trend.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  6:36:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Well, I really hate needles, so I personally would probably never get a tatoo. I did however get my belly button pierced when I was 18. I had it pierced for less than a year before I had to take it out as it wasn't healing properly.

I guess if it makes people happy then that is great, but I think I am done with piercings.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjournies.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  6:37:49 PM  Show Profile
I must say I have yet to see a anything beautiful about a tat on any woman. I am struggling with the fact that one of my daughters age 38 has gotten another one on her ankle. I see nothing good and Am trying to understand the why? and what she finds attractive with them. She also has a belly button piercing..

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:

Edited by - K-Falls Farmgirl on Apr 11 2009 6:39:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  6:43:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have seen a few tatoos that I thought were pretty, but they have to be very well chosen, well created and well placed. And like Suzie pointed out- skin texture changes as you age so that has always made me extra leery of tatoos. I have heard horror stories of women that had one on their stomaches and then they got pregnant...eww.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjournies.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  6:44:27 PM  Show Profile
Hiya, I'm soon to be 49 and I've thought of both, but haven't made up my mind yet. So I'm curious what others think too!
I'm thinking of getting my right nostril pierced and a couple of tatoos for my BD...
I like single colour tatoos and like the mehendi-looking ones the best, but I found a beautiful dragon fly last summer and am thinking of getting a dragonfly one too.
I haven't decided yet.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  7:01:40 PM  Show Profile
Cheryl, our self-sense of pretty and self esteem plays a heavy role in what we do with our bodies. I see 80+ year old women with bright red hair that I think looks silly. But they feel good about it and that is what really matters here. Try to make your daughter feel pretty in little ways, maybe she is feeling un-lovely and needed a boost...maybe she is dreading the big 40 and this is her way of dealing with it. I'm just saying we all think of pretty in a different way =) I see a lot of bad and gaudy tatoos here and would only want one in a non saggy area =P

Alee, I'd be too chicken to get my belly button pierced, you are brave girl! I'm still dilly-dallying about my silly nose!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  7:52:39 PM  Show Profile
Good point Annika.. I never thought of that.. but I sure don't like tatooing. I hear horror stories also of aging and the danger of infection. She has one already that she does not like , I wish she would think before jumping at a whim...

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:

Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  8:21:04 PM  Show Profile
I have a tiny purple Iris on my ankle. Got it almost 14 years ago, when I was 48 or 49. My grown nephew got one too. I went first and he kept asking if it hurt and it didn't. His hurt on his bicep. My husband got quite a few after he bought his Harley in 2002. He also took our grown daughter to get her first and only one, an angel on her shoulder. My dad had a topless cowgirl that nearly covered his chest and it fascinated me as a youngster. I'm sorry there aren't any photos of him without a shirt, since he's been gone since '76. I'd love to see it again.
All said, some are great, others gross. To each his or her own is pretty much how I live my life. Being careful about where/who does it is important, to be sure it's a sanitary.
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4745 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4745 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  8:27:17 PM  Show Profile
UGLY, UGLY, UGLY! Every young person should take a look at a tattoo that is 15+ years old! They lose their color, the persons skin ages and sags and as I said, UGLY!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  8:28:04 PM  Show Profile
I have never wanted one, really, and when I was a ballerina, we weren't allowed to do anything "adverse" to our bodies, piercings or tats because of costuming. I love the body, and I like our natural "tats" (moles :))...but our friend, Steve, is a tatoo artist and studied under the "best" in the country and his wife has a beautiful Swallow very discreetly positioned over her shoulder, "swooping" down right where the bra strap would be. I love it. It's VERY Victorian...but as much as I love it, would I want it on my body--and ultimately my 80 year old skin??? Ronna's right--to each his own, and some folks have taste and other folks DON'T.

If I did get one, I would only let Steve do it, and it would probably be a bird. But I'm not.
Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  8:37:45 PM  Show Profile
I don't want anything I can't wash off. I don't do well living with regret, I've made some bad decisions in my life and for me personally I don't want that to be one of them. It's what you want tho, if thats what makes someone happy then just make sure you'll be happy with it 10 or 50 years from now.

~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

"Courage is being scared to death... but saddling up anyway" ***John Wayne

http://main.acsevents.org/goto/iloveyoumom

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

urban farm girl
True Blue Farmgirl

80 Posts

Melissa
Posen IL
USA
80 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  8:43:15 PM  Show Profile
Had some done on me in the 70's and I am so glad they don't show... if they did... I would have them removed.
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2009 :  05:00:17 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
ok. i have just got to be different dont i. i love a good tat and a well placed piercing. as an artist, i see my body as another piece of canvas and love to embelish it. a well thought out embelishment is beautiful. it can say something profound about who you are or just accent a particular part of the body.

currently, i have a tattoo on my lower back that i designed myself and spent 6 months working on before making the leap. i looked at other peoples tattoos and asked about local artists before settling on a shop. i love my piece. every part of it has a meaning that reflects who i am and where i've been. as for it getting nasty as it ages, #1 the ink used now is far better than those used even 5 years ago and #2 anyone who loves their ink will take care of it (keep it out of the sun and moisturised) and have it touched up when need be.

besided the tat i have a libret piercing (lower lip) and in the past i had my nose and belly button done. i love the libret and the nose on me because they are subtle and cute. when i am contomplating a piercing i start doodling on a pic of my face to see if i can carry it off gracefuly or if it will be obnoxious. the jewerlry that is put in at the time of the piercing is usualy pretty heavy, but as soon as i feel the site is well healed i change it out to something more delicate.

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing.
-Brenda Ueland

http://quilandneedle.blogspot.com/

http://musingandmuttering.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

a rose
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Linda
Waterford NY
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2009 :  05:45:16 AM  Show Profile
I didn't read your comments girls because I think tattoos are grose. God would have gave us tattoos if they were needed. No offense to those who have them,just my opinion.

Remember me as a rose.
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2009 :  06:00:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I think part of this issue is generational. When I was growing up men who were in the Navy had tattoos, and even that was a bit risque. Girls/women did not have tattoos if they came from "good" families. Not one parent really wanted their daughter dating any man that had a tattoo, it just was not considered in good taste. But, as we all know, many values have changed for the majority of people in our culture. I see new mothers that, but for the cute little tattoo on their ankle, look like the girl next door. I think part of it is the "rebel" allure it has. I do know my DH would divorce me if I ever got one, lol, seriously. Hey, If I ever want an "out", I have one, LOL! It's not really my thing, I have pierced ears, but all the hardware in eyebrows, lips, etc, turn me off, much more than the tats for some reason, just personal opinion, I guess. But, I'm open minded enough to shrug, and say, "To each, his own".

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2009 :  06:59:21 AM  Show Profile
Strangely, my daughters have tats and my son doesn't. I don't want a tat but I have thought of having my kids and grandkids names tatooed somewhere on my body. The only problem is that now there is getting to be quite a list of g-kids so need plenty of room!

Winona ;-)

To read funny stories about my cooking 'skills', please visit http://lostadventuresincooking.blogspot.com/

For uber-opinionated, pleasurable horse related reading, please visit http://horseinfoperson.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2009 :  07:01:21 AM  Show Profile
OK BIG FLAG HERE --- OLDER LADY WITH TATOO .. I recieved my first tatoo just 3 years ago at the age of 45. It is a medicine wheel with feathers on my upper back between my shoulder blades. Absolutly beautiful. My oldest son designed it for me and my daughters went with me to get it. This has great meaning to me (too long to go into detail). I am looking at a couple of more tatooes too....I love the one I have and am looking forward to the others.

My daughters all have them. Very pretty and well placed.

As far as safety ~ IF you go to a Tatoo Artist with a studio and who has a great rep I have heard of few problems. The problems with infection can be from people not following directions for after care or going to someone working out of their homes, ect....

You gotta do what feels right for you. As soon as I am out of the corporate world I am tatting my feet on top. Love the henna designs for that....................

live well,
Tamara
www.thegoodearthfarm.com
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2009 :  07:25:15 AM  Show Profile
Interesting topic because there seems to be no middle ground. Either ya love 'em or ya don't.
I have two daughters who have tatoos and 2 that would never. I don't mind them. My husband had three and i always liked them. He got them while he was in the Navy before I knew him.
My youngest has a horsehead, very delicate, on her arm/shoulder and a horse somewhere else. and the oldest has a butterfly with a fairy on the back of her shoulder. I am always startled when I see them and then forget about them. So to each his own I say. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2009 :  07:39:04 AM  Show Profile
Thank you all for your comments.. I reserve the right to say, If my daughter was living at home with me I would discourage her from doing it. But she got two tats when she was in her twenties, She is now 38 married and has 4 children, 2 are teenagers 2 are 6, & 8 y/o..and I just have a hard time understanding why she would want two more and encourages tatoos, body piercings, Color streaking all of her kids hair and living "in the moment" impulsively. I know I am a bit old fashioned and I do plan ahead, something I see she does not do. I see her struggling finacially and making some poor choices. I probably am just an over concerned mom..and am dissapointe din her choices. You are right To each his own.... I will work on that...

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2009 :  08:16:16 AM  Show Profile
Ok Tamara

You made me feel a little better.

For my 40th next year I'll be getting my first tat on my back

It's basically an homage to my dogs.

Younger brother has 3 already, so he may join me in the fun.

Luckily he has done his homework and knows a good, reputable artist.

My tat will be down the middle of my back.

I don't have the boobs to wear anyting backless, so that will only leave summers ans swim suits....which is fime by me

As with most small decisions, its personal. And yes, I agree. there a a lot of of really bad tats out there. I think they look better uncluttered

So for me, a tat will be the mid life crisis item of choice B/C it's a heckva lot cheaper than a new car and i'm too short to hold up a Harley!
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2009 :  08:26:59 AM  Show Profile
I'm another older lady with a "tat" and love it. Had it done 3 years ago and don't regret it one minute. It is on my left shoulder blade and is good size and beautifully done. When our daughter was 16 she wanted one and knowing her determination (she would have found a way without us) we took her to get it so that we could make sure it was done well and it is gorgeous 12 years later and she still loves it. Tattooing is an art form and is beautiful when done well.
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2009 :  09:02:38 AM  Show Profile
I personally wouldn't get a tatoo. I have seen some beautiful ones but think too many young people are rushing out getting matching tatoos or strange ones that they may/probably will regret later in life. I can't even imagine what a tatoo looks like decades later!
As with piercings I did have my ears pierced at one time but they kept getting infected so I let them grow close. I think nipple and "private area" piercings are gross and in bad taste, as well as tongue rings. I guess I'm not real thrilled about any facial piercings either, although I have seen a couple nose rings that are done tastefully, with just a very small jewel. At least piercings tend to close shut if you want them too, where as tatoos are more permanant.
-Elizabeth
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2009 :  09:08:30 AM  Show Profile
I have 2, one on my back, one on the ankle, both done in my early 20s. In the past decade I've spent close to $2000 lazering off ankle tat and it is still there unfortunately. I avoid shorts and skirts unless boots/socks cover it. I'm fine with the other, it cannot be seen unless I am waaaay under dressed. I guess I grew out of it, and unfortunately it is not a quick fix like hair.

Farmgirl Sister #204
Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2009 :  09:18:27 AM  Show Profile
Cheryl~ I did the samething with my kids. No Tats when you are living in my house. So we did have a couple of the kids that waited until mid - late 20's. My thing was if you can't afford your own place you can't afford a tat....

live well,
Tamara
www.thegoodearthfarm.com
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2009 :  09:54:59 AM  Show Profile
Cheryl, I have a tattoo of a fairy on my arm! I got it for myself 20 years ago for my 21st birthday. I don't mind having it 20 years later, but I am so very glad I never got something like a band logo that I would regret later! I have thought about getting another one, but right now if I have "extra" money, I would rather spend it on fiber to spin!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic To Tatoo or not to tatoo Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page