Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2009 :  10:21:50 AM  Show Profile
Well, my dear, Cheryl, I have three tattooes. Mine all have some sort of signifigance for me. I checked into it and made sure that the place I had it done used the most sterile procedures, check their portfolios, and went and had a visit with them before I considered where, what, and with whom I wanted it done.
I think that even though we may not see others tattooes as beautiful or even some of them tasteful, that when it is our own and we have our very own reasons for them, then they are beautiful to our own selves. Isn't that really what matters anyways? ;)
Since I was working in a professional environment when I got them, I made sure they were placed in spots where should need be, they could be easily covered in deference.
My first tattoo, I got on my first anniversary. It is a flower vine on my right shoulder. I chose what I wanted and then waited a whole year to make sure I would still like it. To me, it was a symbol of breaking free from others opinions and really looking at myself and seeing what I wanted and not worrying about others criticism.
My second tattoo, on my left should is a shamrock with my husband's name over it. It may seem silly to some, but at that time my DH and I were going through rough stages and he felt that he didn't have my whole heart. (I am not sure why,even though he did, he still was concerned. I think everyone goes through that in their marriage at one point or another) so, since I can't see it back there, it was a reminder to him that both my heart and self were his!
My third one that is a butterfly is on my right hip bone. My brother went with me and got one at the same time. It was the first time we'd ever met one another. They butterfly was a symbol of the new steps in life we were taking. New family, new children, new steps. (He got one with a cross and an irish knot to remind him of me. He said the cross reminded him to stay true to what he believed in and the irish knot because it reminded him of me and the way that we were tied together as siblings.

Like Teresa Sue said..."to each his own". Some may like them just because they do, some may have other reasons, or some not care for them at all. ;)

I have tasteful piercings too.:P hehe

hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"You are my strength when I am weak. You are the treasure that I seek. You are my all in all. Seeking You as a precious jewel; Lord, to give up I'd be a fool. You are my all in all."

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2009 :  11:55:08 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I like tattoos. I have 4! I always liked my daddy's....a Navy anchor and a beautiful Indian girl.
I wanted some because he never regretted them and I didn't mind them getting wrinkled..:-)

My first one is about 17 years old and I had it redone after a few years...it looks good..wrinkles aren't bad....I get compliments on it. I wanted to see my first one and got it for me...not anyone else. It is right on my forearm, a moon and sun with red flames and little star.
My 2nd one is a rosebud on my chest...I can't see it so I forget it's even there LOL
My 3rd tattoo is a yin/yang on an ankle. It peeked out below my GI (white uniform) when I took Karate. The Korean martial art used the yin/yang. I will always like it too. The black side has a little flame and the blue a drop of water. I designed it. Then my 4th, done at 50 years old is a Harley Davidson logo...yes you heard it....it is in memory of my daddy who rode one and always talked about it when he got older. It is small and cute with an American flag on it.
I don't plan to ever regret mine and they are part of who I am. I am 59 years old now and they still look good. :-D

Linda
in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2009 :  12:53:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Opinions are like 0-holes, we all have one and sometimes they stink ; )
I have tattoos and think it is terrible for someone to judge another person just because they have them. I think too many times one looks at another WITH a tat and says OOOHH Trash! Not the case. Someone once made a comment that butterflies would look like dead moths one day, well thats fine by me, my butterflies-moths mean something to me.

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

People can only make you feel inferior with your permission, and you dont have my permission......

Dont let the chain of love end with you.....

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2009 :  3:43:25 PM  Show Profile
I got my 1st tatoo when I was 30, I was suppose to have a spinal tap but went and got a small bunch of flowers on my hip. When I was 40 and broke my shoulder after it healed I went and got an angel on my shoulder. When I was 50 I went and got one on the top of my foot because my best friend wanted us to have a tatoo that was just for us. I'm 58 I think and I did tell my DH that I would not get another one. He doesn't like them. I still like mine, but I had them for me no one else. They were placed where I could hide them if I needed to.
When I was in college age 35 I met a nice girl and we were distant friends, but friends. One day the carnival came to town and she didn't live near by but I heard her calling me. Much to my surprise she was decked out in leather and chains and took a Harley Motorcycle ride with about 50 bikes to our small town carival.And she was covered with tatoos.
Never judge a person by what they have on.
But think it through,first- yes they do hurt I don't care where on your body you get them they hurt. Let me know what you do.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2009 :  3:59:31 PM  Show Profile
I have a tattoo. I got it about 12 years ago and it still looks as good as it did then. I'd like to get more but DH isn't too fond of them. My mom hates it. I understand why but I also feel like it was my choice to make.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2009 :  4:53:05 PM  Show Profile
Well, lets see,first of all I think it is a personal choice.If they had been this popular when I was youger I know I would of gotten at least one. My daughter has four. One in between her shoulders,one down low on her back above her butt.Another one on her ankle which was her first one. It is the sun the moon and the stars, just beautiful, She got that one right after she and her first husband split, she decided she would give herself the sun moon and stars,the heck with waiting for a man to do it. She just got one recently that is on her foot it is a really pretty one with a vine and flowers going from the end of her big toe up her foot part way. Looks great with her sandals. She has 3 ear piercings on each ear and a higher 4th pierceing on one. My granddaughter has 3 ear piercings each ear, a belly button piercing and a small diamond stud in her nose. It looks absolutely adorable. When she hits 18 she also wants a tat. The only advice that my daughter gives is to get your tats where you can let them show if you want or cover them if you don't. The one on her ankle she can cover with jeans or her uniform if she chooses. By the way she is an RN. There has never been a problem with anything for either one and I have to say I love the look of them. As far as being 80 and having a tat, who would really care one way or the other you know? If they offend you, don't look and don't get one. That's just my opinion.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2009 :  5:58:24 PM  Show Profile
I understand you all... I guess as I think about this issue and my daughter, I am just angry with her because she is struggling to make ends meet, she has an alcoholic husband, she has 3 sons and does not have a dime to spare.. Granted she doesn't ask me or my husband for any money , just complains because she is broke...I hope she make her house payments.. Gosh its hard to let go even being 500 miles away.. I am getting off my step stool right now..but I wonder what she wouldsay if I shaved my head...( I have pulled enough out over her)

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309
Klamath Falls "Charming Chicks Chapter" Mother Hen

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Grandmas are mom's with more icing.
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2009 :  6:07:05 PM  Show Profile
This is just my opinion, but why would you want to get a tattoo when all the farmgirls are trying to eat healthy, use no chemicals on their food, but instead you may want to introduce inks into your skin? Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I like pure clean skin. I do have pierced ears. but that was because the old earrings would pinch my ears--probably not a good excuse though now that I think about it.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2009 :  6:32:29 PM  Show Profile
I guess we are not all on the same page Betty... At least me... I am finished with this issue..It is stressing me too much. I am taking back my power.. Thank you all for your comments. It appears different when its your daughter I guess.. If you like your tatoos Great....to each his own... This is what is so nice about farmgirl friends.. right?

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2009 :  7:32:08 PM  Show Profile
I have some tattoos - got them during my punk rock days - and part of the reason I got them was to make people think twice about their reactions - instead of making the personal political, I was making the political personal. People's reaction to them is very telling - I don't show them these days because I am not in an "in-your-face" place right now, but when I did show them alot I dealt with a lot of snap judgements about my intelligence. I am an educated, intelligent woman and people tend to treat me like I'm stupid or unworthy if my tattoos are showing, unless they know me. I must say that I get treated the same way for working in a grocery store, even though my job requres a lot of intelligence, flexibility, memory and management skills.
I do have to say that I probably won't get any more until the current trendiness dies down, I got mine years ago before a lot of women had them.
Mine are also in really good shape - it is a myth that they automatically fade/blur etcetera - it is all in how you take care of them. Sunlight causes fading etc.
Although I don't show them these days I don't regret them - they are part of the process of my life that has made me who I am, along with a lot of other good and bad experiences and decisions. I'm proud of who I am now, and everything I've done has resulted in my getting here today.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2009 :  9:03:08 PM  Show Profile
They aren't for me for sure. My two oldest sons each have a couple of "easy to hide" tattoos, that they got after moving out. Just not my thing. I just have my ears peirced once..and that is enough for me.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  09:33:32 AM  Show Profile
I have three tattoos and they all have meaning to me. I got them all between 35 and 40 years old and chose places that would not show age as much. I also chose places that were covered most of the time as I got them for myself. My first was a dolphin on my shoulder I got when I found peace within myself, my second was a rose on the side of my calf when my dad passed away (his favourite flower was a rose) my third was a lion on my lower back because I am a leo and I admire the strength of the lion. All three I drew myself and took them in and the tattoo artist reproduced them. I don't agree with the attitude of "Get a Tattoo because it is a fad or your friend has one." do it for yourself and always make sure the tattoo artist is reputable. Also put them in a spot that can be covered as some events or occasions it is better to be covered.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  10:44:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
If I wasn't such a coward and afraid of needles, I'd have at least two. One would be the name 'Tesla' with the l shaped like a lightning bolt. He was a mad genius and was the actual inventor of radio. Not to mention his ideas about free electricity and microwaves. The guy was a Bosnian refugee who forgot to register most of his patents but kept his American citizenship papers locked in a vault. The other would be the name of my cat who died of cancer(Kate).

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  11:01:24 AM  Show Profile
Well in getting a tatoo it's going to be on your skin for the rest of your life (or until you get it lasered off), so be very sure of what you're getting. Personally if I were ever to get one it would have to have great meaning.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  12:13:07 PM  Show Profile
I have my belly button pierced. I've had it pierced for 5+ years, and will keep it in until I get pregnant, which hopefully won't be untill I'm 30... I absolutely LOVE my belly button piercing! It looks very cute on my stomach and it is fun for now. Luckily, with piercings, you can take them out when you need to. I used to have my cartilage on my left ear pierced, but it was pierced with a gun at Claire's...bad idea! I had to take it out. I also have the "normal" lobe ear piercings but double.

Chelsey
Farmgirl Sister #283

http://farmgirlpleasures.blogspot.com/

http://aminiatureworld.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  12:15:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Chelsey- They make pregnancy belly rings too! My friend Eva still has hers pierced and she is about ready to deliver her first baby!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjournies.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  12:26:09 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Alee! I didn't know about those :)

Chelsey
Farmgirl Sister #283

http://farmgirlpleasures.blogspot.com/

http://aminiatureworld.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  3:08:36 PM  Show Profile
I have 2 and I got my first one and my navel pierced when I turned 50 (I'm a late bloomer). One of them shows depending on what I wear. I have a heart & rose w/DH name down in the abdominal area area and a butterfly with flower on my left shoulder blade. All of my kids have way more than that and they are way bigger and flashier than mine.

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Go to Top of Page

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  3:35:47 PM  Show Profile
Well.....I know we aren't supposed to have religious discussions so I'll keep it simple...
Our church (and I personally) believe tatoo's are wrong for male and female. So no, I have none!
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  3:58:11 PM  Show Profile
Wow! thank you all for commenting on this thread. Very interesting perspectives. That's what makes us all so special!

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:

Edited by - K-Falls Farmgirl on Apr 13 2009 3:59:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  4:26:37 PM  Show Profile
Hubby and I are in Daytona this week, and we have seen tatoos that could cause nightmare trauma. Age or gender has nothing to do with the tatoos and their owners that we have seen. No one wants blue veins showing, or birthmarks, or other natural skin markings, so why do they fool around with an unnatural process that is comparable? For the young ones we have seen tatooed, it makes me sad to see young lovely skin marred forever.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  4:58:00 PM  Show Profile
Cheryl-
Maybe it isn't about the tatoo but rather your daughter acting "childish" by speaking about spending money on a tatoo when she can't even pay bills? Like I said before, I would never get a tatoo myself but it is up to the individual person and isn't hurting anyone (I do disagree with people who get a tatoo even when their spouse disagrees, but that's another topic!). It sounds like maybe she is trying to rebel agaisnt her own life.
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  12:28:18 AM  Show Profile
Cheryl, I only read the 1st page of replies. I guess I'm an old fashioned girl, I can't see a tattoo looking good on a young or old woman. My ex always wanted me to get one(he had 1 when we married and 4 by the time I divorced him). I was adamant about not getting one. I have had my ears pierced since 13, and second holes in my ears in my late 20's.....that was very risque for me! And for about 8-10 yrs I wore a cute little toe ring.......also very risque for me. I rarely ever where earrings anymore, even one pair, and I stopped wearing the toe ring 4-5 yrs ago also.

2 yrs ago I saw a woman in an airport who was young and had a couple month old baby. This woman had her whole face and neck tattooed. That's all that was visible at least. All I could think, is that poor child having to go to school on parent's night and have his mother walk in with her face/neck all tattooed.

Like I said, I guess I'm just old fashioned. I've known women and men who have tats, I don't alienate people because of a tat. That's their business. I just wouldn't. I certainly don't understand people with lots of piercings either, especially on your tongue. YUCK!
Again, to each their own, but don't get mad when I stare wondering what void they are trying to fill in their lives with those.

Cindy

FARMGIRLS CAN DO ANYTHING!!!

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  03:53:44 AM  Show Profile
For me there is no void and really, my self esteem is decent. I see this as body art. And as with all art, it is subject to opinion. That's half the fun.

When I see a person who has full sleeve tats and is covered, I sometimes want to approach them and hear the story behind each image. I also think, "boy that's taken a lot of time and money" As an artist, I sure wouldn't have the patience, so hats off to the artists who do this.

It's just something I have always wanted to do...just couldn't find the right image...until last year. So the search and desire is not something that just sprang up recently. And when I found out I could still donate blood (a year later after getting inked) that wasn't so bad.

The Belgian Tervuren dog has been such a huge influence in my life for well over 25 years.

This is my way of paying homage to the first dog that gave the inspiration and saved a friends life, and then the other 2 I personally own. As the years go by, I'll add names. And it is something I do wish to carry with me my whole life.

Stuff like this is what makes us who we are. Otherwise without freedom of expression, it would be pretty boring. Kind of like how working at Disney was where everyone acted, dressed and looked the same.

On the flip side, I do respect the nay sayers. It's indeed very personal and up to the individual.

If I had a child who wanted a tat. The ruleswould have to be...it has to be able to be covered, put it in an area that when you are 90 the sags and bags won't detract (that narrows it down right there!) and of course when you turn 18. If you are old enough to fight and die for me, something as trivial as this shouldn't matter. And lastly, think long and hard about the image you want. Project out 10 years or more. Is this something that will continue to have the same meaning now as it will then?

Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  05:57:44 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I love tattoos (I have 4 small ones) but too many on a woman doesn't look good. When I see a man with tattoos I always want to look closer at it and ask him about it. I don't ask strangers but I do ask a new friend about his. These days with all the good colors they can look really nice.

When I had my wedding picture taken one of the poses showed my tattoo on my arm. The photographer said "oh no, this shows now". My response was I like my tattoo, so I like it showing.
She assumed that it shouldn't show.

I have had many compliments on the tattoo that shows the most. It's not large but is noticeable on my forearm.

I also saw all over face and neck tattoos on a mother holding her little baby. I know that little babies love their mommy's face and a tattoo would give a baby just a picture to love. But her face was scary to me! LOL

Linda
in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic To Tatoo or not to tatoo Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page