hattah
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Margaret
Maine
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2009 :  1:45:14 PM  Show Profile
Do any of you gals know of any herb/holistic items on the market for the treatment of high blood pressure? My companion is having a problem with thhis and would like to try a 'natural' treatment before he trys the usual prescriptions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

hattah

"Never spend time with people who do not respect you."

pmorello
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Patricia
Montgomery NY
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2009 :  8:46:05 PM  Show Profile
Blood pressure can be brought down by watching your diet (low salt because each molecule of salt holds two molecules of water), exercise (start out walking 15 min./day if sedentary, build up to at least 30 min./day)because this strenthens circulatory system and blood will be pumped more efficiently. It will also help shed excess fat if this is an issue. Losing as little as ten pounds can lower your blood pressure. A diuretic can help but must be used with caution. A nice mild one is grapefruit juice. This is all assuming that we are talking about borderline hypertension. As much as I hate to admit it, this really comes down to the old diet and exercise remedy - grrrrrr.

Pat

Pat
www.patriciarose-apotpourri.com
www.patriciarose-apotpourriof.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

hattah
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Margaret
Maine
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2009 :  06:32:10 AM  Show Profile
:) thanks

This is my boyfriend. He flucuates between 140/80 plus and has been 126 over another low number. The highest was the other day and that was 168 over 90 something. He walks 4 to 6 miles a day now could probably lose 20 lbs (according to him) but he is 6 feet and weighs 208 or did a month ago. Very active doesn't eat or gain a lot of weight. Isn't big on salt but everything has SODIUM in it. Family problem also. I think he is past the pre-stage and it has come on fairly suddenly in the past couple of years. He was hoping to find some herbal compound to try before his docter sticks him with medication. He just turned 60.

Diet and excercise is the thing but he doesn't seem too over the top in those areas anyway. So we are stumped.

I didn't know that about salt or grapefruit juice. He loves grapefruit ( I am an orange person myself :) )

Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it.

peace
hattah

Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  5:03:52 PM  Show Profile
Hi Hattah, Hawthorne is supposed to be good for B/p, dandelion also. May I suggest a book called the Green Pharmacy by Dr. James Duke. be sure to eat lots of veggies and fruit as they most all contain potassium which will lower the pressure. when buying prepared foods check that the potassium is higher that sodium. I was really surprised to find that corn flakes is really high in sodium. Might need to have his kidney function checked just in case.

There is another book on lowering b/p naturally but I can't think of the name at the moment. We moved recently and I have it here somewhere. I'll look tomorrow and get back with you. blessings Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

NudeFoodFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Heide
Benton City WA
433 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  5:10:33 PM  Show Profile
Cinnamon! Cinnamon! Cinnamon!
I can't say it enough. It is a miracle for blood issues. Add some Honey and Vitamin E and you are good to go. My husband and I have been matching each other with bowls of oatmeal and grains for breakfast every morning and I know I sound like a Quaker ad but IT WORKS! We change it up everyday but alway cinnamon, honey and then we add fruit.
We also are working out more in the garden so maybe that helps. . .
Best,
h

Nude Food Farm
~Grown so good,
Dressing is Optional.
Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  06:29:05 AM  Show Profile
Dear Hattah, I haven't forgotten my promise of the book name, I just can't find it. we moved in Oct. followed 2 weeks later by my Mom's unexpected death, then finding unexpected things to fix in the house. I still have boxes stacked everywhere. LOL. I promise I'll keep looking.

Heide, I didn't know that cinnamon was helpful for B/P. thanks for the info, I'll have to give it a try. I have been working on getting mine down naturally, I have been on medication for about 20 yrs, which makes it a bit more of a challenge. thanks again.
blessings phyllis
Go to Top of Page

hattah
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Margaret
Maine
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  4:50:21 PM  Show Profile
thank you thank you lol heide and phyllis
i am a big oatmeal fan also and he has been eating it everyday now for a couple of weeks. I will start putting some cinnamon in too. fruit is good i know though every once in awhile it seems to go missing here.

I totally understand the moving thing as i just relocated AGAIN in january myself. :P send the title on when you find it. i will check into duke's book pronto.

namaste
hattah

Go to Top of Page

vermont v
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Victoria
Chester Vermont
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  5:07:24 PM  Show Profile

Look up the DASH diet. Lots of potassium and vegetables and low sodium. I also read recently that Hibiscus tea has been shown to lower BP; think Red Zinger!
Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  06:05:03 AM  Show Profile
hattah, just wanted to say I still haven't found that book, but I'm still looking, I promise. Victoria, thanks for the info on the hibiscus tea. Love Red zinger will have to add that to my arsenal. I know the book that I'm looking for recommends having 4 times more potassium than sodium. I try to do that, but darned if I can remember the name of the book. LOL. blessings Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  11:55:12 AM  Show Profile
Cinnamon is good I've heard and it's also good for lowering blood sugar. I eat it as often as I can because I have diabetes. I'm afraid that I'm taking some blood pressure medicine right now but I hope to be able to stop soon. After my surgery my diet will change a lot so maybe it will be under better control. Hattah, I hope your boyfriend is feeling better and his bp is under better control soon.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/

An Angel says, 'Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.'
Go to Top of Page

hattah
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Margaret
Maine
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2009 :  6:23:59 PM  Show Profile
I am wondering if I could get him to drink Hibicus Tea LOL! Probably have more luck getting him to chew it. But I will drink it for sure.

Lainey.how do you eat it? in your other foods? oatmeal, etc. Sorry that probably sounds like a stupid question.

No worries Phyllis when you find the title you know where to find me! :D

Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2009 :  8:01:23 PM  Show Profile
Hattah,

Yes, I eat it in my oatmeal, on cinnamon toast, rice pudding, and add it to foods like chili. It gives it a taste that is subtle but people wonder what that extra kick is.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/

An Angel says, 'Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.'
Go to Top of Page

C.W.
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Chelsea
Prosser WA
USA
101 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  06:06:33 AM  Show Profile
I am on meds for blood pressure too, and have heard of folks using cinnamon. But, now that I think about it, Heide had mentioned it at our last farmgirl meeting. Anyways, a midwife in our group has told me to take fish oil and vit d suppliments. Maybe he would be more up for swallowing a pill then drinking tea...sounds similar to my husband. Let me know if you find something that works.
~Chelsea
Go to Top of Page

PineConeAcres
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

USA
31 Posts

Posted - May 21 2009 :  11:56:08 AM  Show Profile
Cayenne and garlic powder mixed half and half. Put in capsules, take two capsules three times a day.
Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - May 21 2009 :  1:21:39 PM  Show Profile
Hi Crystal, thanks for the suggestion of the cayenne and garlic. welcome to the forum.

hattah, still looking for that book. don't know what the heck I've done with it. Hows you fella doing with his B/P??

take care all. Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

PineConeAcres
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

USA
31 Posts

Posted - May 23 2009 :  10:53:50 AM  Show Profile
Cayenne, Garlic, Hawthorne, Ginger, Parsley, Goldenseal they're all good for high blood pressure. I just chose to give what I did because it's most readily available and doesn't cost much. Those herbs help to strengthen blood vessels, equalize blood pressure and aid veins to regain elasticity. The Cayenne has an immediate beneficial effect on the heart and then stregthens the rest of the circulatory system.

Really good book to get is called The How to Herb Book by Velma J Keith and Monteen Gordon.

Thanks for the welcome.

Edited by - PineConeAcres on May 23 2009 3:17:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  09:14:34 AM  Show Profile
I have a tea blend and tincture blend I call Heart Health. Works well for many people. But....if he's on any heart medication, be very careful mixing with herbs of any kind. And please do your research on the herbs. Some mentioned must be used with caution or for only a very short period of time, i.e. goldenseal. Goldenseal is commonly used as an antibiotic herb and not to be used long term as it can cause problems with the liver. Also.....dosages? It's easy to throw out herbal advice, but each person is different and dosages per herb per person can vary greatly. A little can help one person and can harm another. Your man may want to start with small dosages and work his way up.Remember always...it's easier to add more herbs to a person than take them out once they're in!

----------------------------------------------------------
I woke up on January 1st and it was 2009.
And it's been that way ever since!

www.goodnaturedearthling.com
Cedar Mountain Herb School
http://goodnaturedearthling.wordpress.com/

Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic High Blood Pressure herbs Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page