True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2006 :  05:15:59 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls
I got a full size yo yo quilt at a garage sale last summer, decided to try and make one myself. Does anyone have any advise, like what is the best size cirlce to use for the yo yo.And any other advise before I make a mess of it.
Thankyou
NANCY Jo

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2006 :  06:41:35 AM  Show Profile
Oh I hope someone has lots of advice..this is something I have been considering making lately..I love the old timey look if you use old looking fabric.

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2006 :  07:47:13 AM  Show Profile
I have instructions on how to make yo yos. I'll look it up and post the information. I love them too. Especially out of 1930s print fabrics.

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2006 :  09:29:03 AM  Show Profile
Guess what gals??? Our MaryJane read our posts and asked me to tell you all that there will be pages on yoyo quilts/projects in the new stitching book coming out !! I am sure looking forward to that. Neat to know that she reads what we post isn't it???

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2006 :  09:33:55 AM  Show Profile
when is the stitching book coming out? and is it a book or magizine. OH BOY!!
Go to Top of Page

Carol
Moderator/MaryJane's Design Diva

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2006 :  11:22:57 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls. The yo-yo quilt article (we call them rosettes) is in our next book, MaryJane's Stitching Room Workbook #1. We're nearly finished with it, and it should be published sometime this year. It will have lots and lots of stitching projects ... aprons, faux smocking, applique, all kinds of crochet, and even some very old-fashioned techniques like tatting, drawnwork, and cutwork. Stay tuned for details!
Carol

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming 'WOO HOO, what a ride!'"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2006 :  11:57:11 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Carol!! I can hardly wait!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2006 :  1:10:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Yoy Yo's are SO easy to make, girls. Nancy, there is no special size, just depends on how many you want to make per project
...smaller ones might take 900 yo yo's, larger size yo yo's means less you have to make!
My favorite template is one of those standard size plastic cups that you buy in a package in the paper plate isle. Hubby would call them a "beer cup", you know.. they come in red and blue usually? I just lay the cup on the fabric, use a pen and circle away. Cut them out, hand baste around the edge of the circle with thread, pull and TA DAH! you have a yo yo!I tack the thread thru the middle of the yo yo and knot and you are done.It is so easy, fun,and a great take it with you project. I am always making yo yo's when I have to wait for the doctor and such!

Edited by - Fabulous Farm Femmes on Jan 27 2006 3:57:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2006 :  2:36:20 PM  Show Profile
I have a box of yo yo's that my aunt gave to me to "finish"
They were actually made by her and my other aunts and my Grandma
(I never knew any of my Gparents, I was a infant when they passed)

Ok ya'll motivated me to pull out yet another UF project!!
I will finish this as soon as the X-stitch is done!!!
I think I will need to find some Repro-Old fabrics if I need more yo's.

~~My Blog~~

Take Me to Bridge’s Auction Booth
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2006 :  2:40:59 PM  Show Profile
I have lots of '30's repro fabrics that I will use for my first yo-yo project for sure. I usually have my dishcloth knitting bag for my waiting moments but I think I will tuck some yo yo makin's in my purse too. Sometimes I get tired of knitting and never tire of sewing or embroidery.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2006 :  3:29:36 PM  Show Profile
DIANE,
Thanks for your input, I gave it a try today and made about 20 little yo yo's. they look like little baker's hats. You were right, not to hard. Can't wait for Mary Janes new book on stitching.Once that comes out I will probably be in over my head in things to do,
Nancy Jo

Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2006 :  4:00:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
P.S. I have a cute pattern for a flag wall hanging made out of yo yo's and buttons if anyone wants a copy!
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2006 :  4:27:36 PM  Show Profile
MJ's new book! Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy.....

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2006 :  4:50:35 PM  Show Profile
Diane,
YES I WOULD LIKE A COPY, IT SOUNDS GOOD FOR THE UPCOMMING 4TH OF JULY, THANKS!
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2006 :  9:38:40 PM  Show Profile
My G'ma made a yo-yo quilt. She used silky fabircs so it always fell off the bed. My mom made one, haven't seen it for years. Hmm. Might have to look into that.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

GardenWitch
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Michelle
Gaston OR
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2006 :  08:26:31 AM  Show Profile
This looks like fun! Aunt Jenny I went and took a peek at your baby yo yo quilt and it is just sweet!

Now maybe I'll find a use for all those pretty scraps I can't bear to part with ...

To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves. --Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2006 :  2:09:21 PM  Show Profile
thought i'd share some photos of three yo-yo quilts in my antique textiles collection:

this one is 'youth bed' size .. i've had it for many years .. got it in colorado .. and it was on each girl's bed for a time in their lives.

this is a close up of the yo's .. sweet, subtle shades:

======================

and these are two twin bed yo yo coverlets .. i got them in annapolis, maryland at an antiques quilt show .. they are the 'summer' covers for the twin beds here at cabin creek farm:

a few close ups of the colorful fabrics .. look to be late 20's or early 30's:

they are each in a six petal flower design with a center .. and the edges are so pretty too

the colors are brighter than in the youth bed quilt .. lots of colors .. but, like nature, they blend beautifully!

True Friends, Frannie

Edited by - CabinCreek-Kentucky on Jan 29 2006 2:11:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2006 :  2:26:18 PM  Show Profile
Wow, that looks like a lot of work, but so pretty!! Think I will master dollies first!! Thanks for the great photo Frannie!

" Aspire to Inspire before you Expire"

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2006 :  2:34:25 PM  Show Profile
i once did a yo-yo swap with lots of girls .. now THAT was a lot of sewin' .. as i remember there were about 20 of us and we swapped 5 yo's each!

would be fun if there were about twenty-five of us of us and we only swapped ONE yo each. it would be a 'beginning' .. it could be the 'center' of a 'table topper' .. and we could finish off the edging and make it as small or large as we wanted.

if enough of us are interested .. AFTER the dollie class .. it would be a fun summer project! oh .. and when we finished .. we could all take photos and display them!

AND .. maybe maryjane's sewing book will be out by then .. so .. everyone will know how to make them!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2006 :  3:36:06 PM  Show Profile
great idea..I in in!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2006 :  3:48:09 PM  Show Profile
Wow, you sure have yourself some 'gems' frannie with those yo-yo quilts. Like look so darling on your clothesline!

Theresa
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2006 :  4:25:03 PM  Show Profile
Oh, yo-yo swap! Happy!!!

Bramblestitches Store: www.bramblestitches.etsy.com
My blog: http://bramblestitches.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2006 :  4:32:10 PM  Show Profile
count me in on the yo yo swap. glad to see your post aunt Jenny, good ole mona
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2006 :  5:39:49 PM  Show Profile
I'd like to join in when MJ's book comes out and I figure out how to do them. I've always loved the look. I have about 10 old old ones joined together that I got at a vintage fabric sale that I bought just because I love them. Do you girls do that? Buy fabric just because you love it? Hm, I think I've just defined "stash". Which reminds me, Stu and I went to one of my favorite shops (Jenny, I bet you know it) The Handmaiden in Sandy yesterday on a foraging for doll stuff mission. (It's so much fun to do these things with DH! He's not a typical "What the heck are you buying that for?" kinda guy. He's even got his own stash! He made a postage stamp quilt once from wild colored fabric with one black square. He called it "almost Amish"). Anyway, they had an embroidered pillow that said, "may the stash fairy always keep your stash filled". I want to make one! Would make great gifts.

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2006 :  6:33:25 PM  Show Profile
Yep..I have heard of Handmaiden..havn't made it there yet...but I WILL. I really need to just take a day for shopping without the kids and without a zillion other stops along the way...hasn't happened yet.
And YEP..I sure do buy fabric just because I love it. I have learned to buy 2 yards if it is something I love since I can use it for a tablecloth for my kitchen table or for an apron. But let me tell ya...I can't resist those fat quarters either. I am shamelessly over stashed!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2006 :  9:29:59 PM  Show Profile
I learned to make yoyos when I was in Missionettes at about the age of 14, in the eighth grade. I think we put them together in a quilt for a missionary somewhere in the world. I wish I had kept a couple of them to see what my workmanship was then, but I probably wouldn't like the colors they were then anyway and would have to keep them put away...oranges, browns, golds. Ya know those colors of the late sixties. I do remember they were I liked making them and since I like handwork this made them even more fun.
I am wondering if one could use one of the circle cutters that you can get in the scrapbook section of the craft stores...it would probably go fast if the fabric would lay out nice enough. Just a thought! I might give that a try...just to know for myself. I seem to have a few of those cutters by different companies. How does that happen? :)
Pamela

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic yo yo quilt Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page