junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  6:26:50 PM  Show Profile
I can't think of anything sadder than an animal being dumped....having to fend for themselves...not able to survive all the dangers of the outdoors. These animals are too domesticated and face the hardships ( poor things are so sad and traumatized) of being injured or die a horrible death. Julie, I think you were right to speak up. Maybe, hopefully, you made someone come to their senses. There are plenty of shelters that will gladly take back an animal if it doesn't work out with the owners.

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  03:35:31 AM  Show Profile
So why is it so difficult to spay and neuter

THEN these poor dumped animals might not have even happened in the first place!

THAT would have been the first words out of my mouth to that man

AND, if he couldn't have afforded to do that, he and others like him shouldn't bother getting "pets" in the first place.

Meantime, you mau have to do a little tough love and first, spay the momma dog, and then take her pups to the pound. Hard lesson but far better than being hit or starved to death.

Unless those men are planning on deworming and putting flea/tick collars on those dogs, it has the potential to become a serious health problem..And yea...what about rabies and distemper?

Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  1:41:13 PM  Show Profile
You done good, girl. However, around here, the oil rigs love having dogs around and feed them really well. We had trouble with a dog jumping the fence and just really hated having to chain her up, but we lived near a busy intersection. DH mentioned it to someone out on one of the rigs and they said to bring her on out - they'd take care of her and loved having dogs on the property. He said he saw her a couple of months ago when he did a parts run and that she was having a steak dinner, so not all oil rigs are bad. These guys pretty much picked their own dog to "love on" and take them with them when they go, if they have to shut down.

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  05:30:20 AM  Show Profile
Hey, Alee! Now, Kentucky, next year, I may be able to pull off! Just have to see. I would LOVE meeting you! And Kay, I agree. The rig workers really are good to these dogs, but all of them have already said they won't be taking them home. Some of the puppies have been found homes, but I'm still hoping the others do, too!!! Ladies, thanks, everyone of you, for all your support!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  06:22:55 AM  Show Profile
I applaud you and all who speak up like that. It is SO sad to see these things happen. Just as leaving a kitty or a dog when the `owners` go on vacation, they just dump them somewhere and go on about their so-called happy lives. Makes me SO mad and sad!! I am SO happy I have my sweet Elvis ( I know I can go on and on about him) I can´t think about doing that to him!!
If I hadn´t received him through my dear friend A´s hubby I would have gotten one from a pound or shelter. There are so many pounds and shelter that CRY for people to take a dog or cat from them. But please if `you´ do, take care of it. Never ever leave it out in the middle of nowhere to go on about your own happy lives and leave the poor animal to fend for itself. TOO sad.

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  07:00:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Julie-

That would be great! We'll have to see if it's even financially feasible for me. It would most likely take a couple thousand dollars between the travelling expenses, the entry fees, stabling fees (phew) I am starting to get overwhelmed just thinking about it! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  09:02:36 AM  Show Profile
Around here it's not just dogs but cats - lots of cats. At one time I had 30 farrel cats in one summer!! Dogs got so bad out here they were running in packs and attacking kids at the school bus stops. We called the pound but they took so long to do anything that the neighborhood had to "take care of" the pack lest a child got injured. We once found a billy goat just tied to a tree on the side of the road!! I believe in karma and I do hope whoever did this will have to pay back dear. We need stronger laws and we need our society to start re-growing common decency and compassion. The dog problem became so bad out here that it put an Emu farmer out of business. I'm glad you spoke up.

Sheri
Go to Top of Page

mulegirl
True Blue Farmgirl

184 Posts

rosemary
cottonwood pass co
USA
184 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  3:44:30 PM  Show Profile
Good for Julie. We really have turned into an irresponsible throw-away society. Take the easy road and who pays the price? Innocent animals. If you don't want to take the responsibility and commitment to having a cat, dog or any animal, don't get one!!!! All those thoughtless persons who try to shirk their responsibilities should not choose to have any animals. And you wonder why the world is how it is out there.

smile, follow your heart and don't look back
http://web.mac.com/rosemaryart
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  3:52:42 PM  Show Profile
You were right to say something to that man. People don't understand that these animals can become problem animals (especially in the case of dogs), taking them to their local shelter is a much more responsible way to deal with their "throw away pet".

People just don't think before htey commit to having a pet, they're a lot of work.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Can I vent? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page