paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  05:52:34 AM  Show Profile
We live in a rural area, and yesterday, a small five-week old puppy dashed out of the woods and in front of my car. I barely missed it, jumped out and picked him up. Since we moved here five years ago, this has happened more times than I can count. We've found litters of anywhere from one to six 'dump dogs' as we call them. The other day, I heard someone in an elevator telling another person that the new puppy they had gotten was such a problem, not being potty trained and chewing up a favorite pair of shoes, that they just took them out to the 'country', knowing someone there would pick them up and take care of them. Girls, I couldn't keep my big mouth shut. I turned around and looked at that person and said, 'That's where you're wrong. If that dog was lucky, some farmer shot it right away, to keep it from killing their chickens or stampeding their livestock. If it isn't lucky, it's either starving to death, or is living in pure fear, trying to keep ahead of the coyotes, other dogs, snakes and other predators. No, sir. You didn't do that puppy any favors, much less the farmers that live in the country." I was so mad! And, so was the man I said that too. But ladies, unfortunately, that is really what happens. We would love to corral those dump dogs and cats, and take them to the pound. But it's not really possible. Come to find out, the little boy I rescued, is only one of about six or seven more. The others, plus their mom, is being 'cared' for by the oil rig workers down there, but none of them are willing to take them home. So, we (us and our neighbors)are either gonna have to round them up and take them to the pound, find them homes, or, if they can't be caught up, then take other extreme measures. And I don't have the heart for those measures, but I'm not able to stop the others from it. I just don't understand people! Why get a puppy or kitten, if you don't really want to take care of it? And if you do, and realize later that you don't want it, why not take it to the Humane Society or the pound? Around here, we do have 'Do Not Kill' shelters. And Animal Welfare works hard at placing these orphans! I'm sorry for ranting like this, but it's become a real sore spot. I now have a five-week old black lab puppy at home, that I'm trying desperately to find a home for, without having to take it to the shelter. We already have three dogs (one of which IS a dump dog) and can't handle anymore. And, I've already had one pack of wild dogs wipe me out of over 40 chickens, ducks, guineas and turkeys. So I'm really at my wits end. Okay. I've gotten off my chest. Thanks for the space to vent. And......anyone want a puppy? I'll even throw in a starter bag of puppy chow!!!!!!

from the hearts of paradise...

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  06:14:41 AM  Show Profile
I hear ya, Julie. That happens in any rural area. As if we are just so happy to have another pup. I am glad you spoke up. We adopted a pregnant 'dump dog' and were fortunate to find home for the pups. A lot of people are just.........(fill in the blanks yourself). MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  06:21:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Yep. That's why we have five dogs, Julie. These people just want to get it off their conscience and onto yours and mine. They're the ones I'd like to shoot!

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  06:21:45 AM  Show Profile
Good for you for speaking up!! And people wonder why I only place my Schnauzers with non-breeding contracts or turn them away. I try my very hardest to weed out non-trust worthy homes and I follow my puppies all of their lives. Have you contacted a Lab resue group? Sorry you have to deal with this.

You can tell your dog all of your secrets and they'll never say a word!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

a rose
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Linda
Waterford NY
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  06:32:30 AM  Show Profile
You did the right thing speaking up for these animals. May be besides making this man mad you shed some light in his head to what he is doing to our sweet animal friends

Remember me as a rose.
Go to Top of Page

daylily
True Blue Farmgirl

114 Posts

Chris
Newcastle CA
USA
114 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  06:49:08 AM  Show Profile
Good for you Julie! I can't believe how dense some people are. I hope you can find a home for the little guy.

By the way, I wonder if the guy who dumped his puppy knows that in some states,he could probably be fined or arrested for that? (neglect or cruelty)

Chris
Farmgirl Sister #346

http://refininglife.blogspot.com
http://organizedkitchen.blogspot.com
http://redeemedforapurpose.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  07:19:57 AM  Show Profile
Good for you, Julie, for speaking up and for bringing this up. It's very sad. That happens alot out here, too. We are all fenced in and have a lab that will chase everything off. But I see dogs walking up and down the road alot. All my cats and dogs are fixed because I do not believe in making more unwanted animals. There are just too many. I know most people cannot afford the cost of spaying or neutering, so don't get a dog or cat because eventually babies happen. That is my sore spot. The high cost of the surgery then people just let them breed and take them to the pound that is already full. And I do not believe a dog or cat will have a better life and be healthier if they have one litter before they are spayed. I have 2 Rat Terriers that were spayed at 6 months and they are almost 12 now and still going strong. My yellow lab is 2 and he was neutered at 1 year old. He's fine, too.

Anyway, I will keep saying spay and neuter your cats and dogs like Bob Barker did.

Kris

Life is what you make it. Always has been. Always will be.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Apr 07 2009 07:21:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  07:55:50 AM  Show Profile
Oooh....arrested??? shoot 'em???? I so like y'alls way of thinking!! And I didn't think about a lab rescue -- thanks, Tina! And Kristin, occasionally there is a program where you can get your animals spayed or neutered for little or no cost. I wish more animal owners would take advantage. And, around here, the best we can do, if we can even catch 'em, is fine them. Unfortunately, the fine is so low, it really isn't an intimidation. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who deals with this or sees it. And trust me, my little ol' southern belle mouth doesnt' do too well keeping shut some days, so, if I hear it again, I'll probably speak up again! Thanks, ladies!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  07:58:39 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I guess I should have mentioned... ALL my dogs have been 'fixed', even the pure bred lab and pure bred German Shepherd, as well as one of my barn cats (one of them was already pregnant when we got her, so trust me, she's already scheduled with Jeff, our vet, as soon as she has the babies. And, we're going to go ahead and have the babies fixed, too, BEFORE we give them away, just in case!!!

Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3324 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3324 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  08:11:10 AM  Show Profile
Julie....You go girl!

When we lived in the country that happened to us time and time again. What can people who do that be thinking??? It's cruel and LAZY to dump innocent domesticated animals by the side of the road and hope for the best when there is always an alternative.

Good luck with relocating your little lab....

Melody
Farmgirl #525
http://melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.bythebayhandcraftedsoap.com
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.andsewitgoes.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  08:50:14 AM  Show Profile
I have the same problem. Luckily we have a no kill shelter close by...I wish to the good lord that people would use it! All of my animals are "fixed" and healthy. I hate seeing the casual cruelty of unthinking folks how toss unwanted pets in the ditch and drive away...it is a real sore spot with me.
All of my kitties but one are "ditch kitties"

Good luck finding a home for the little pup. I'm glad that you stopped in time and I very much understand your problem. I wish people would just think to give a darn.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  08:57:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh Julie! I can imagine how heart breaking that must be for you! The animals are so lucky to have a friend like you! It breaks my heart that people do this. Dogs and cats are domestic animals! A lot of the survival instinct that helps wild dogs survive and hunt has been bred out of dogs. Now I know some dogs do hunt and kill, especially when it is that or die- but think of all the trauma and fear that dog had to go through before it learned how to hunt and survive.

I wish there was some sort of answer, but as long as there are unscrupulous backyard breeders and people who feel that their dogs are "harmed" by neutering or spaying then there will always be these poor unwanted innocent creatures.

Hopefully some rescues around your area can help. Maybe you could contact the SPCA and ask them to do a heavy public information campaign in your area. Maybe if a lot of billboards and commercials on tv started educating the public about the horror the dumped dogs go through- maybe the public would be more likely to take animals to the shelter?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

NudeFoodFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Heide
Benton City WA
433 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  09:14:47 AM  Show Profile
This seems to be a growing problem in our area. There is a large city and lots of rural farms surrounding it. SO as people are losing their homes and have to move into apartments (that don't allow pets) they think the animals have a better chance. Julie what you said is so well put. I am so glad you were brave enough to correct that mistakan man.
In washington there is a fantastic nonprofit group operating purely on donations, where they spay and nueter Feral cats. It is too bad there isn't one for Dogs. But the idea that Feral cats help keep the neighborhoods clean of rodents, so if you trap them and bring them in, they fix them for free. The clip their ears so that you can tell if they have already been there. When we took the farm cats we had inherited with the purchase of our farm, there were people in there with 30 trapped street cats each!
I wish there were more programs like it.
Anyhow thanks for ventin
H

Nude Food Farm
~Grown so good,
Dressing is Optional.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  09:18:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I just emailed the SPCA to see if they have programs to help communities like yours Julie or is they know of another program that does!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  11:06:54 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Alee! I've also put in a call to Animal Welfare, the Humane Society and a friend who does 'personal rescue and placement' for abandoned animals. Ya know, I feel better already, just reading all these posts and seeing all this support. Ladies, bless you. Just pray 'Walter' finds a GOOD home!

Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  11:14:01 AM  Show Profile
This makes me so angry too! When we lived in the country we had one "dump" cat and found homes for two dumped shelties and a small pointer puppy. It makes me so sad that these people don't care about the animals trying to survive.
My aunt once moved to an old farm house and inherited the dog and cats that went with it. She lived there a few years and then they decided to move but left the animals there, at an empty farm, to fend for themselves. One of my uncles would go to the empty farm to let his dog run but would not bring any food for the abandoned dog or cats "because they had to learn to fend for themselves". WHAT?!! My dad and us kids would drive out there sometimes and bring a huge bag of food and just dump it off for them. After a few weeks oue landlord gave us permission to take them so we had the dog a few months until we had to put him down for some medical issues and gave some of the cats a good home and gave the rest to other homes. It made me sick that my aunt would do this. My mom did the same thing to one of our cats though when I was little. It was my best friend and had a litter of kittens. One day my mom decided we couldn't afford their medical care and dropped the cat and her kittens off at a park in the middle of the night. For years I thought my dad had done something to them because he kept saying they ran off. Turns out he wouldn't drop them off because he said it was a mean thing to do so my mom did it. That makes me mad, the least she could have done was put up a sign at the Wal-mart bullentin board advertising free kittens or taken them to the pound. Animals may not be human but I feel God expects us to take care of them with love and gentle hands. If someone can no longer care, afford, or want an animal they can take responsibility for them and find them a loving home or place them with a shelter that can try.
-Elizabeth
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  4:26:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I will let you know when I get a return answer from the SPCA. I will try calling them if I don't get a reply tomorrow.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2009 :  05:39:18 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
It always breaks my heart and a dream is to have a safe haven for dogs. I just cry when I see all of them that need adopted. The love that they give to us is unconditional and I wish I could give them the love that they all deserve!

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."

http://liggybitsandpieces.blogspot.com/
http://ligonierliving.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2009 :  06:02:05 AM  Show Profile
It's so sad when people do that. A lot of the pets I had growing up were ones that had been 'dumped' by people near our house and the dog or cat just came to our home and 'adopted' us. It's very upsetting to me to think that someone would do that. I have a very soft spot in my heart for animals, always have. If my husband would allow it I would have more pets than we do now. I hope that you find a good home for that puppy.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/

An Angel says, 'Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.'
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2009 :  07:54:20 AM  Show Profile
Alee, you're too good to me! Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2009 :  08:01:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
*hugs Julie* Hey are you coming to Farm Fair? I would DIE of happiness to meet you face to face!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2009 :  08:24:33 AM  Show Profile
Lets face it, society if FULL of SELFISH people. Those who so callously abandon their pets are also the most likely to dump their children at those designated "Turn in sites" like in the one state that makes it legal to do so. What has our society become? Sad. So VERY sad. If I could take them ALL-- both animal AND child (no matter the age), I certainly WOULD. Someone needs to make them feel LOVED and WANTED!!!!!!! My heart just aches for them all......

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2009 :  08:28:06 AM  Show Profile
Lets face it, society if FULL of SELFISH people. Those who so callously abandon their pets are also the most likely to dump their children at those designated "Turn in sites" like in the one state that makes it legal to do so. What has our society become? Sad. So VERY sad. If I could take them ALL-- both animal AND child (no matter the age), I certainly WOULD. Someone needs to make them feel LOVED and WANTED!!!!!!! My heart just aches for them all......

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2009 :  08:29:18 AM  Show Profile
oops! Didn't mean to send that TWICE-- my computer went a little haywire there.

Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2009 :  08:27:04 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Alee! I would LOVE to come to Farm Fair, but unfortunately, it's just not an option right now. But I have GOOD NEWS! WALTER HAS A HOME!!!! After almost a week of him living with us, it almost broke my heart to let him go -- but he went to a man who fell in love with him at first sight, and he also has children who will love Walter with all their hearts. Ladies, I can't thank y'all enough for all your support in this. I'm STILL not sure about the other puppies -- and still plan on talking with someone here about the situation. I've been talking with a lady from Animal Welfare, and maybe we can get some kind of results with that. Alee -- one of these days, I'm going to see you face to face and tell you how wonderful you are. And as for the rest of you farm girls, I hope I get that same chance!!!!!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2009 :  1:00:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
*hugs Julie* I am so glad that Walter found a good home. Truly a case of the best possible outcome. I can't imagine how hard it must have been to let him go like that!

I hope to be able to come to Kentucky next June (far fetched plan, but that would be my dream) for the Egyptain Event. Maybe we could meet up then?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjournies.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Can I vent? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: