Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Violet is a different baby-WOW, amazing!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Violet is a different baby-WOW, amazing!! Next Topic
Page: of 3

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2009 :  06:34:15 AM  Show Profile
We are nursing, but we are also supplementing because I don't produce enough--and that's well enough, as I go back to work a week and half from now (how FAST time goes!)...

Anyway, we have Gripe Water (Baby's Bliss brand), some herbal thing from Red Thistle farm that has catnip and fennel (my lactation consultant sells it at her shop), and now Mylicon drops for infants, and STILL this little one has bad gas after eating. She's difficult to burp, but I make sure to do so in between breasts, and on bottle, every ounce. She's on 3 ounces at 5 weeks old (today, Friday).

Does anyone have any tried and true methods to ease her through this gas? She gets REALLY mad, and that seems to exacerbate the whole drama. I've been told to pump her legs, but that becomes problematic when she's kicking and flailing her arms and stiffening her body like a board

It's been a rough few weeks for her (and for us...)...any help mom's can give is MUCH appreciated!!!!

Edited by - FebruaryViolet on Apr 11 2009 04:41:09 AM

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2009 :  06:56:27 AM  Show Profile
FebVi...Both of my children had this, and we found that it was from using both breastfeeding and the bottle. Breast milk is much thicker and more easily digested. If she is used to that, and you are supplementing with the bottle, the nipple on the bottle and the thin consistency make it go down more quickly.
We found that rubbing her back in an upward swirling motion would make the bubbles come up more easily and bigger than just by patting her. If that didn't work, we did use the mylicon drops. We found they actually worked better in the formula than giving them to her by mouth.
Also, A really awesome bottle we used for both of ours (son was collicky and these were life savers) was the Vent aire...I cant
remember who puts them out, but they are really fat and a little less than halfway down, they were tilted. They had step by step nipples you could get. They worked great for us.

I don't know if you have one or not, but the motion of a vibrating seater or a swing helps to soothe the belly cramps if all else fails ;)

Hope it helps!!!
HUGS FOR YOU!!!!! and your little one too!
Being a Mommy is the best job there is, and definitly worth the workout ;)
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"Every man's life is a fairy-tale written by God's fingers."--Hans Christian Anderson

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2009 :  06:57:12 AM  Show Profile
Awwwww, I'm sorry Violet is suffering from gas pain :( I already assume that you've been told if you're nursing not to eat gas producing foods...cabbage, broccoli, beans, etc or spicy foods as they will pass into your milk.

That being said, what I'd do when my babies were gassy was to lay them on their tummy across my lap and gently rock my legs back and forth. You can also put a hot water bottle on your lap to lay the baby on while you do this too.

Could it be that the formula that she's on isn't agreeing with her? Some babies can get relief from a change in formula.

I sure hope baby Violet feels better soon!

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!

http://farmgirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2009 :  07:06:12 AM  Show Profile
I'm so sorry she's so uncomfortable. I am going to suggest goat milk not because I love it myself but because it's so much like breast milk and anyone who can't handle other kinds of milk can drink goat milk. We had to put my DD's 2nd baby on goat milk after several trials and errors. She thrived on it. We did not have goats then so had to get the canned stuff, Myanburg. It was already pasturized. Just add water. But I know several people who give their babies milk straight from the goat.

Also I agree with Diana. Watch what YOU eat because it goes right to her.

Good luck. Hope she feels better soon.

Kris

Life is what you make it. Always has been. Always will be.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2009 :  07:34:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I would think she might be having an allergy to either the formula or maybe even something you are drinking. Have you tried switching yourself off dairy and using a soy based formula? Sometimes is someone is born lactose intolerant, they can't handle the mom drinking lactose and then breastfeeding.

Hope little Vi gets over the gas quickly!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2009 :  08:28:59 AM  Show Profile
I forgot all about that. We had to switch Tori to soy based formula when she had her tummy pains. She had lactose problems and wasnt able to break down the milk solids. It helped bunches too.She eventually grew out of it.:) Thank goodness!
We had to get special drops from the pediatrician to help with colick for Levi too when it got really rough.
Good idea, Alee!
Thats why we Mamas have to stick together..hehe...
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"Every man's life is a fairy-tale written by God's fingers."--Hans Christian Anderson

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2009 :  08:29:29 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Jessie!!! I do have one of those bouncy seat thingees...The ventaire bottles are made by playtex--I use the drop ins, made by them as well. I looked at the Ventaire, and chose the drop ins, simply because it's what I used when I was a baby. Mom said she didn't have any problems, but then, I was a super easy baby, according to her. Likely, she's just forgotten :)

I will try the swirling on her back. The problem that I have with burping her is that she falls asleep almost immediately! It's very difficult to keep her awake.

We are using the similac "fussy" formula--it's supposed to be for gassy little ones. I mentioned this to the ped on Monday for her month appointment, and she sort of acted like gas was just a part of the game. I guess it would be when your system is so new....

Yep, I know about those foods...but gosh, I love all of them, and I'm trying to be creative with what I can eat :)

I will try the drops in her bottle as opposed to after. That's a good suggestion!

Thanks girls...it's hard to watch her suffer through these little bouts. I know they'll be over, but she doesn't!
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2009 :  10:45:34 AM  Show Profile
The drop in are actually better for relieving gas anyways So I've been told I didnt use them, as I didn't have the time to do all that cleaning nor the money to be replacing all the time at the time...hehe.

You can still burp little violet even if she is sleeping. She doesn't have to be awake for the gas bubbles to make their way up and come out.:) and just because she falls asleep doesnt mean the gas bubbles arent there Tori was a good one for that. Then shed wake up with bad gas pains later because I didnt know to keep on burping ;)
When you put the Mylicon drops in her bottle, you will actually see the bubbles pop and the foam go down as soon as you put it in!:)
HUGS

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2009 :  11:30:05 AM  Show Profile
I remember carrying Susannah around with her tummy on my arm , the airplane position the pediatrician called it, and sometimes that helped. I remember eating supper once with S. in her bassinet right next to the noisy dishwasher. Sometimes we'd turn the vacuum on to get a break from it. The noise seemed to divert her attention from the upset tummy. Those babies! Good luck, you've gotten some great advice here, I never heard of most of these things. Please do post another picture or two of your beautiful girl. Violet is such a beautiful name.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2009 :  5:19:44 PM  Show Profile
My daughter had this and she was not tolerating the formula. We put her on soy and that didn't help either. Finally had to put her on a formula that was made from hydrolized protein - easier to digest. Since you're supplementing with forumla I would certainly talk to your doctor about the possiblity that she's not tolerating the formula well. The drops will help. It sounds like she may be a little colicky too. I used to carry my daughter facing forward with her tummy up against my arm. We walked miles and miles around the house like that. It helped her to have the pressure on her tummy.

Handmade Soap & Lotion Bars http://www.therusticcottagebath.com

The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2009 :  9:19:15 PM  Show Profile
I'm so sorry your little one is having tummy trouble. You may need to change your diet though. My best friends daughter was having the same problem with her son. Her daughters doctor had her go on a vegan diet and now the little guy is doing just fine. He is 5.5 months old now and when he gets a little older they will have the mom eat dairy products again and see if he still has a lactose problem from it. Good luck on finding what works best for your daughter.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2009 :  09:15:09 AM  Show Profile
I'm wondering if what you say might be true--it seems that more children are lactose intolerant now...I think I will call the ped and see what she thinks. It's just so sad, and she just screams and screams. I hate it when she turns her little mouth down and starts to cry!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2009 :  09:54:28 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yes and unfortunatly you drinking milk and then breastfeeding can give her tummy problems if she is lactose intolerant. Do you have one of those Snugli carriers that helps them stay in an upright position? That might help too. Nora would have bigger burps when I put her in that as well.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

farmmom22
True Blue Farmgirl

616 Posts

Tammy
Scottsville KY
USA
616 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2009 :  09:30:39 AM  Show Profile
I'm so sorry to hear Violet is having such a hard time. I had the same problem with both of my kids. I couldn't produce enough milk to satisfy them! Kolton, my oldest had to eventually go to a soy formula he had so much trouble with gas. Gracie did a little better though. But I think it was because I was a little wiser the second time around! I also used the Playtex drop-ins and Mylicon. I also used catnip tea for Gracie and that seemed to ease the gas. The one thing I want to mention is baby massage. I did it for Gracie and it worked wonders. Lay Violet down on a soft blanket and take some massage oil and rub it in circular motions on her stomach. Also take her legs and work them back and forth gently like she's riding a bike. That could help work the air bubbles out. Also when I would rock Gracie, I would gently pat her on the butt each time I rocked. Something about that constant movement and touch always seemed to make her relax. (Poor Kolton! He didn't get any of this because I was a young new Mom & had no idea what I was doing! lol!) Hope this helps! Tammy

http://afarmgirljourney.blogspot.com/
Farmgirl Sister #492

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. -Carl Bard
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  04:59:21 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so much girls, for all your help and suggestions. Some things have worked, some haven't (it seems to be the nature of colic--what works on Tuesday doesn't work on Friday, or even Wednesday for that matter!!!) But, I talked to the nurse practitioner (who frankly, offered little hope--gas is par for the course to her), so I talked to several other mothers, both old and young, who have these "high sensitivity" babies.

They all use Nestle Good Start formula's. They are still milk based, but have whey proteins, which are easier to break down. So, I bought a can and I can't BELIEVE what a different baby little Violet is. We have been muttling through, feeding the similac and breast feeding at night and early morning for comfort, and on Wednesday, this little girl had the worst day yet that she's been alive. She cried--um, no, screamed...from 10 am to 11:46 pm when she finally passed out, eyed red rimmed and voice hoarse. It was absolutely awful. So, I hopped when she finally passed out and went to Kroger and bought this Good Start and made that our next feeding (she slept 7 hours by the way, poor little thing--she was BEAT.) I've been feeding the Good Start ever since and this baby is a totally different child. In fact, she hasn't even murmured a cry in 2 days. The gas passes without even a flinch.

I cried this morning when she smiled and giggled at me because I feel like I should have figured this out before now--that she could have been so much happier if I would have simply listened to my gut. Gas IS normal, but not when it makes you scream, each and every time you eat.

Thank you so very much for all your encouragement. It helps to know that I'm not the only one who's suffered right along with their little one.

Here are a couple new photos...well, the first is Jus, Violet and I--she was a week old. I'm still puffy, but I look happy

This is Violet discovering how cool her swing can be. I love the little "satisfied" look she has on her face. This was her 5 week old picture (she was SIX weeks old yesterday--bah!)

Edited by - FebruaryViolet on Apr 11 2009 05:00:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  05:16:14 AM  Show Profile
Happy little Violet! So glad you found the right formula for her. Now she can thrive and flourish like the pretty violets in my spring garden!

www.youaretoocreative.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  05:46:54 AM  Show Profile
oH how cute, and a VIOLET blanket to boot. One of my Grand daughters after a lot of crying was put on that same formula. And it worked. So happy the little flower's tummy is calming down. Very good for the parents too!

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  05:59:00 AM  Show Profile
I am so glad you got it all strightened out for your little one. She looks so happy. And she looks good in purple, too. Such a cutie.

Kris

Life is what you make it. Always has been. Always will be.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  06:14:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh I am SOO glad that she is feeling so much better! I was just cringing for you and Violet! You guys have had a rought 6 weeks!

Alee

Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjournies.blogspot.com

Edited by - Alee on Apr 11 2009 06:14:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  06:52:52 AM  Show Profile
OK Jonni
She looks JUST like you!
That is one sweet baby, gas & all!
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  06:58:20 AM  Show Profile
What an adorable little girl!! I am so happy to hear that she is feeling better and that you found the formula that works for her!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  08:01:04 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, gals...it's somewhat ironic that the days at home I spent with her have been rocky, and now that I start back to work on Monday (boo hiss), she is a happy little girl with a happy little tummy! Her daddy is staying home with her during the day, so he will get a very different little girl...oh well, such is life! He will have NO excuse for the house being a mess like I did

You think she looks like me, Lisa? The jury is still out. Either way, me or Jus, she is definitely her own person!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  08:08:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yeah, that is kindof sad, Jonni. *hugs* I wish you didn't have to go back so soon!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjournies.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  12:34:43 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness, what a sweet little girl, and the parents look good too! So glad to hear you have conquered the belly aching for Violet. She looks so happy. What a treat , thanks for sharing the photos.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  3:41:08 PM  Show Profile
Aww, she is just adorable!! Glad things are going better for you!!!!
Go to Top of Page

jinia
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

jinia
mo
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  6:10:53 PM  Show Profile
She is beautiful! I was thinking of yall after reading your post so I'm glad something worked! Good luck and have faith!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Violet is a different baby-WOW, amazing!! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page