City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  04:36:36 AM  Show Profile
I found this link on the University of Illinois Extension site.

http://web.extension.uiuc.edu/manureshare/

If you're looking for manure or want to get rid of some. You can list it on the site. They do have states listed other than Illinois (although honestly I didn't look to see if any other states had some available).

Mom & I were just talking about getting some manure for our gardens. voila! Here it is!

quote:

Illinois Manure Share is a free program that benefits livestock owners, gardeners, landscapers and the environment! It is a manure exchange program that brings gardeners and landscapers searching for organic materials for use in composting or field applications in contact with livestock owners who have excess manure.

The program's goal is to remove the manure from farms that do not have the acreage to adequately utilize its nutrients on their fields or pastures. This benefits water quality by removing excess nutrients from farms and by lowering the amount of commercial fertilizer used by gardeners and others.

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  07:28:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is so cool, Deb! I hadn't thought to look online for something like that. I just called around to local horse stables and asked if I could haul away some of their muck heap. They were all okay with it.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2009 :  6:21:56 PM  Show Profile
Oh Alee! Be CAREFUL with that horse DOODY!! I spent THREE YEARS getting my flower beds weed free and they were doing so well, but, stupid ME put HORSE poop on them and I've been fighting WEEDS ever since!!! It's full of weed seed. The key is to make sure it's WELL COMPOSTED.

The best natural fertilizer is bunny poo. I started throwing the litter from my rabbits cage in my flower beds and I could grow ANYTHING in them. He's been gone almost a year now and my flower beds are sure missing his "offerings." But, I've got LOTS of other kinds of poo... chicken poo.... horse poo.... cow poo... sheep poo... goat poo.... duck and goose poo..... sigh.... I'm Eyeball DEEP in critter POO!! Sure wish I could ship it through the US mail. I'd be soooo happy to SHARE!!! (LOL!!) hugs~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Manure Share Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page