True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  10:39:18 AM  Show Profile
Alright Ladies,

I need ideas on what I can use as plant markers in my garden. I have a two-year old little boy that carries away everything I have used so far. Last year I had no idea what varieties of tomatoes, peppers and beans I had in different spots because he kept moving my markers! I try to get them all written down in a journal, but that doesn't always get done like it should. After that I found some old concrete pavers behind our garage that I wrote on with permanent marker and placed at the ends of the rows. He couldn't move those, but the marker faded really quickly. Any thoughts?

NudeFoodFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Heide
Benton City WA
433 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  10:53:24 AM  Show Profile
Do I have an answer!
I changed out the blinds that came with our house (we were having babies) to less dangerous curtians. I took the old blinds (your really only need one) and cut all the strings off and then cut the blinds down to 4 inches each. You get thousands of them. Write on them with permenant markers and give your son his own (draw pictures on his or mark them in color etc) so he will be busy with his own and yours can stay put.
I use them every year (some have lasted several seasons) and can just toss them knowing they have served well.
Heide

Nude Food Farm
~Grown so good,
Dressing is Optional.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  11:30:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
MaryJane also has a project in the Idea book where you can take the lids to cans of food and nail punch the name of the veggie. Then you affix this to a stick and they mark your rows. They look pretty nifty!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sjs
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Stephanie
Oakland CA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  11:44:54 AM  Show Profile  Send sjs an AOL message  Send sjs a Yahoo! Message
How about getting some big rocks that are too big for him to carry (since he's only 2, they wouldn't have to be too big). Then paint the name on the rock with some sort of permanent paint. Then next year you can paint over the whole thing and write the name on again. Could turn into a work of art over the years!

--------------------
Learning to live is learning to let go.

Visit my food blog! http://www.wasabimon.com - natural cooking to live for.
Go to Top of Page

farmmom22
True Blue Farmgirl

616 Posts

Tammy
Scottsville KY
USA
616 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  11:58:36 AM  Show Profile
I was going to say painting the rocks as well. You can use regular acrylic paints and put a sealer over the top of them to keep them from getting washed off. I've done this before and it's really inexpensive and easy.

http://afarmgirljourney.blogspot.com/
Farmgirl Sister #492

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. -Carl Bard
Go to Top of Page

rhondacate
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Rhonda
Janesville CA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  10:28:34 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by NudeFoodFarm

Do I have an answer!
I changed out the blinds that came with our house (we were having babies) to less dangerous curtians. I took the old blinds (your really only need one) and cut all the strings off and then cut the blinds down to 4 inches each. You get thousands of them. Write on them with permenant markers and give your son his own (draw pictures on his or mark them in color etc) so he will be busy with his own and yours can stay put.
I use them every year (some have lasted several seasons) and can just toss them knowing they have served well.
Heide

We do this same thing as well! :)

~Rhonda

http://rmfo-blogs.com/rhonda
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2009 :  12:04:47 PM  Show Profile
I love the blinds idea, very creative and good way to use up those nasty blinds, but, my son would not be satisfied with his own and would no-doubt pull all mine up, too!

I thought that MJ's tin can markers were cute, and we will probably make some when the kids are older, but he would have those gone, too.

I think we are going to have to break out the concrete pavers again but paint them this year. I could not believe how fast the "permanent" marker faded. I never thought to put a sealer on them. Good thinking! I guess we will have an arts and crafts day one day this week. Thanks for all your help!
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Help me brainstorm!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page