cowgirlandboys
True Blue Farmgirl

308 Posts

Rachael
Missouri
USA
308 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2009 :  10:38:00 PM  Show Profile
It is amazing, but after several different "products" from the pet store, what has helped my itchy dog with her dry skin the most was a bath I gave her today with Epson salts. Mine had a little bit of lavender in them, and she smells great and feels great (she is adorable, but I might be biased). She is a Akita/Chow and has very think fur, so we scrubbed it all through her fur, let her soak in the tub for a while, and then rinsed her off.

Wonder if pet product people will figure this out and then prepackage epson salts and sell it for a million bucks? LOL It is funny how the most simple things work so much better.

Hope this helps someone else and am glad that today my puppy princess is feeling some relief. After all, she is my fellow farmgirl!

Happy Trails!

Rachael
Farmgirl Sister #535

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  07:20:34 AM  Show Profile
I have to try that. I think the dogs get winter dry skin. How do you get a large dog to 'soak' in the tub? LOL MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  07:36:09 AM  Show Profile
We had this with our dog this winter, blamed it on dry skin but nothing we did worked. Went to the vet and he said it was allergies, put her on prednisone. Unfortunately we can't get her near a bathtub, she has to go to PetSmart...
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Itchy Dog Cure Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page