farmmom22
True Blue Farmgirl

616 Posts

Tammy
Scottsville KY
USA
616 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2009 :  06:15:40 AM  Show Profile
I just got a bunch of farm fresh eggs from a friend of mine. I can't wait to use them, but some have chicken poop on them. How do I wash the eggs to get the stuff off and will it hurt the egg? Also they said that they don't put their eggs in the fridge. Won't they go bad?

http://afarmgirljourney.blogspot.com/
Farmgirl Sister #492

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. -Carl Bard

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2009 :  06:54:14 AM  Show Profile
Tammy, no, they will not go bad if they aren't washed or put in the fridge. To wash before using, if they are really poopy, just put in a little warm water and soak a few minutes, then wipe off. That's if you are going to use them right away. But unwashed eggs will last several weeks out of the fridge. If it's extremely hot, I will refridgerate them. But only if it's hot out. Otherwise, they will be fine. They have a protective coating on them to keep bacteria out to protect the little chickies if they are fertile, too. Once washed, keep in the fridge.

Kris

Life is what you make it. Always has been. Always will be.
Go to Top of Page

farmmom22
True Blue Farmgirl

616 Posts

Tammy
Scottsville KY
USA
616 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2009 :  10:04:34 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Kristin! I'll probably just wash them as I need them then.

http://afarmgirljourney.blogspot.com/
Farmgirl Sister #492

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. -Carl Bard
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2009 :  5:51:14 PM  Show Profile
When it rains or the chickens poop on their eggs, I keep the especially dirty eggs in a differnet carton marked just for us and not to sell.

It's gross not washing them, but the ick factor goes away when we do wash just prior to using them.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2009 :  5:53:16 PM  Show Profile
And through trial and error, the nest boxes are fairly deep, so if rain is expected or the eggs start getting poopy, I'll refresh the boxes with pine shavings

They kind of help absorb the mud and other stuff off the hens feet
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2009 :  6:51:23 PM  Show Profile
I wash mine as I need them..with a little brush and warm water. I do put mine in the fridge if I am not using them that day..just a good safe place to stash them more than anything. Mine usually arn't too poopy or muddy but spring time is just like that.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Egg question... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page