Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Looking for rhubarb recipes for dutch oven
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Looking for rhubarb recipes for dutch oven Next Topic  

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2009 :  3:53:12 PM  Show Profile
I am looking for rhubarb recipes to bake in my outdoor dutch oven. Does anyone have any recipes?

Erin

Farmgirl #190
www.concrete-and-grace.blogspot.com

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2009 :  06:28:31 AM  Show Profile
Erin, here is a website I found that has several Dutch oven recipes, including one for Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler. You will have to scroll down a ways to get to it.

http://www.fairbankspaddlers.org/Documents/DutchOven.htm

I need to learn more about how to cook this way so that when our boys are a bit older we can go camping and eat good food. Do you camp alot or re-enact?
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2009 :  11:32:10 AM  Show Profile
Great website Toni. That brings up a question. Should you or do you cook tomatoes in your cast iron? I saw on America's Test Kitchen that anything cooked with tomatoes in cast iron, if cooked for more than a few minutes, will turn your product black. ??? Anyone done that?
Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2009 :  4:49:04 PM  Show Profile
Toni, thanks for the website. I will definitely check it out! We do both, camping & rendezvous(pre -1840's). Our first one of the season is this weekend! They are calling for snow where we are supposed to be going. I hope they are wrong!

Erin

Farmgirl #190
www.concrete-and-grace.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4181 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4181 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2009 :  3:47:08 PM  Show Profile
I have found that you can cook any recipe you have in your dutch oven. If you can make it in the house, you can do it in your dutch oven!

Michele
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2009 :  7:11:43 PM  Show Profile
That site is a good one but it sure is a lot fancier than just about anything I've ever cooked in a DO. Used to be I could cook pretty well with one cuz you can't burn your food. To me, that's a big deal!

Winona :-)

To read funny stories about my cooking 'skills', please visit http://lostadventuresincooking.blogspot.com/

For uber-opinionated, pleasurable horse related reading, please visit http://horseinfoperson.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2009 :  06:50:27 AM  Show Profile
I started a dutch oven club. We gettogether on the second Sat of every mth. We all bring an oven filled with something to eat and either a bottle of wine or an appetizer. There are a few families, sometimes we can make it , sometimes we can't.

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Looking for rhubarb recipes for dutch oven Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page