Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2009 :  7:13:24 PM  Show Profile
I have read most of this book before, but started it over again as it was almost three years ago for the first time. Has anyone read this book or is in the middle of reading it? I would love your takes on it..precautions, encouragement, admonitions, etc. :)
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"Every man's life is a fairy-tale written by God's fingers."--Hans Christian Anderson

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2009 :  8:06:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
I havent heard of it.I'll have to see if our library carries it, or can put a hold on it for me. Is it any good?

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

People can only make you feel inferior with your permission, and you dont have my permission......

Dont let the chain of love end with you.....

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2009 :  07:25:25 AM  Show Profile
Amanda--I think its pretty good. Debi talks about our roles as wives and moms. She talks about what the Bible says are our roles and what they actually mean. Some of it, I am a little weary about because I think she speaks a little out of turn, but if I knew it all, I wouldn't be reading books about it...hehe
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"Every man's life is a fairy-tale written by God's fingers."--Hans Christian Anderson

Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2009 :  07:41:24 AM  Show Profile
I had it and gave it away. I don't care for the Pearls.

A friend recommended The Excellent Wife instead.

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2009 :  09:49:39 AM  Show Profile
HI Deb,
What is the Excellent Wife about? Is it along the same lines? I find myself questioning Debi Pearl's tact. Some of the things she says, though were not in line with what I thought scripture was saying, but then that is why I always encourage in whatever you read like this, to be constantly checking against Scripture :)
Thanks for the recommend Deb!
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2009 :  11:34:18 AM  Show Profile
There are so many things I don't like about the Pearls - I wouldn't know where to start.

The Excellent Wife is by Martha Peace. I found a review for you:

http://www.discerningreader.com/book-reviews/the-excellent-wife

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2009 :  2:16:23 PM  Show Profile
Jessie,

I started to read the book after a girl in church raved about it. I made it to Chapter 5. At first I felt that Debi was extreme, harsh and a bit legalistic. As I continued to read I found things contradicting to God's word so I stopped.

In place of her book I would recommend:

~Becoming the Woman of His Dreams by Sharon Jaynes (I just finished this and it is excellent)
~The Excellent Wife by Martha Peace

or anything by Elizabeth George :)

If you have any questions, drop me an e-mail :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

Edited by - Calicogirl on Mar 20 2009 2:18:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2009 :  2:18:45 PM  Show Profile
Ok, gals, you got me all interested in these books, so I had my public library do a search, and there isn't one library in the whole province of Ontario that has this any of these three titles to lend! (I didn't want to buy them just yet!)

How frustrating is that!

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183

Edited by - Canadian farmgirl on Mar 20 2009 2:36:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2009 :  07:50:42 AM  Show Profile
You also cannot find the Pearls books at bookstores - you have to buy them direct.

I second Elizabeth George! Love her books - I return to them often. A woman after God's own heart is one of my favorites.

Go to Top of Page

keeperofthehome
True Blue Farmgirl

154 Posts

Suzanne
Atlanta Georgia
USA
154 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2009 :  12:47:22 PM  Show Profile
I have Created and when I first read it I thought it was just so right on. THEN, I began reading some of her own husband's items and found they contradicted eachother. So, I completely changed my mind. I think it was written for women who just have no clue and need to be "introducted" on the ways of being a helpmeet. After reading The Excellent Wife I found it to be much better. It's gentler, softer, and there are points that you can actually follow and do. I really love all of Elizabeth George's books as well. I think it's awesome Jessie that you are making a real effort to be a helpmeet to your husband looking for periodicals to help you.

Blessings!
~Farrah

www.oldfashionedhomekeeper.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2009 :  3:52:22 PM  Show Profile
I have read that book and thought it had some good ideas and it is at least promoting working on your marriage but I can't can't the Pearls. Their child training books make me ill and some of their disipline borders on child abuse, or could be considered child abuse. But I did read the whole book and didn't find anything vile in it and did even bring into play some of the suggestions.
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2009 :  3:56:35 PM  Show Profile
I will have to look into it and see if my library has the Excellent Wife. My Mom gave me the book shortly after I got married and said that it had encouraged her, but she said that I really needed to test it against Scripture. I know a lot of times, I get hung up on one author and just take for granted that everything they say is so biblically based. The trouble with that though is that every husband and wife is different. I read some excerpts from her book to my Hubby and he says "Thats just not going to work for us". I have a couple of the books Becoming a Woman of Excellence, Becoming a Woman of Prayer. They are more teaching you the different parts of Scripture rather than sharing experiences. I think I learn best about how to be a good wife under authority given by God, by following the examples of other women more than anything. I am finding what works and what doesn't. :D Boy, it is sure is a slow learning process being married. :) The part I have the most struggle with is the husband having the final say as the head of our home. I am so bull headed that I want to have more of a say and boy oh boy does the fireworks fly. If I am doing my part and not worrying about his part, life sure goes a whole lot better...lol

Im not sure why I wrote all that, but once the fingers hit the keys I dare not stop them...LOL
hugs all

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2009 :  7:41:11 PM  Show Profile
I'm going to look for the books mentioned here...I've read an older one, 'Fascinating Womanhood'. The copy I have is from the '50s or close to that, I think.

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2009 :  7:56:32 PM  Show Profile
Jessie,

Marriage can be a slow learning process and it is hard at times submitting. BUT, it comes down to whether we desire to be obedient to our calling to the Lord as helpmeets :) Every couple is different. I think the best thing we as wives can do is to make sure that we are spending quality time with the Lord through prayer and studying His word (not just reading it but studying it), also asking the Lord to show you how you can minister to your husband. Guaranteed He'll let you know :)

Like your Mom said, no matter what we read we must always see if it aligns with scripture or maligns scripture. Especially today with so many churches and teachers compromising with "feel good" messages that are candy-coated.

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  07:31:36 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for the encouragement Sharon. We are finding, that as you say, there are a lot of churches, not all, but a lot that preach if it makes you feel good or your life is happy then you must be following God's will. I have to wonder do they not feel the reprecussions for not teach what God wants.
I can't remember where I heard it, but someone once told me that most women think they are doing 90% and hubby doing 10%. Of course, hubbys think they are doing the 90% and the wives 10%. So, if I as a wife just worry about my 90% and do it to the best of my ability, then hubby is free to worry about his 90%. :D
I can honestly say I have been lax in the devotions department. I read the books and go to church sometimes.(this is a sore issue), but when it comes to starting my day with devotions, I miss it. Hubby leaves for work and its time for me to start my routine with the children. They are a huge handful (Almost like twins) and the day just goes running from there. Hubby gets up every morning and does his before work. I wish he'd ask me once in a while, but then its not just enough to have couples devotions its the one on one time with God that makes the other relationships dynamic.
Do I sound like Im complaining here? I don't mean to. Im just talking it out trying to figure it out ;)
HUGS!!

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  12:10:11 PM  Show Profile
Jessie,

I'll be praying for the Lord to show you how to fit your Quiet Time into your schedule :) I don't have any children so I don't know what it is like, but I can imagine after babysitting 2 rambunctious boys under 6 :)

Have you ever read Laine's letters? She is a very Godly woman with a great testimony and advice. here is a link:

http://www.lainesletters.com/

I recently read about keeping your Bible open throughout the day so when you have a free minute read. Whether it would be one verse or a few. God's word doesn't come back void :)

Jessie, I would encourage you to let your husband know how you feel about how the mornings go and ask him to help with the little ones so you can have your devotions. One thing I learned in pre-marital counseling was to never place expectations on your mate. Not saying that you are but husbands cannot read minds. They have a different way of thinking about things than we gals :)

Hope this helps and know that you are in my prayers :)

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  2:29:43 PM  Show Profile
Jessie, I have this book and I get their monthly magazine. I loved the book. Not at first, but it grew on me. I am not particulary into Micheal Pearl. He's a bit over zealous at times. But I do like alot of their principles and morals. I guess I like the way they live. All their kids are married now and are all homeschooling their kids, too. They do not believe in the government being involved in their marriage ceremonies. The parents marry the couples. I am not really sure if I have that all right, but it's something to do with the government telling them how to run their lives and they only go by what the Bible says. He explains it in the magazine that has their last and youngest daughter's wedding in it. They also say that the KJV is the only true version of the Bible.

But I loved the chapter about the different types of men. I have Mr. Steady. She described him to a T. Perfectly. I thought she must have studied my hubby when she was doing that chapter.

Anyway, I am a typical housewife type. I work when we need extra help, but he is the big bread winner here. I take care of the finances. We both make the descisions. He is not totally in control. I let him think he is just to make the old guy happy. But really I am.

It's a very personal thing to be a submissive wife. I don't think it means for us to just let the man do everything. That's not what the Bible says at all. We are a team. We are one. We are in this together. Not him alone. He could not do it without the help of a woman. That's why God made woman, to be a helper for the man. Not a slave, a helper. Just my thoughts.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  3:56:45 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
HI Jessie,
I too have the book and get their monthly publication. I love this book and it's principals.

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/http://renenaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  4:11:56 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I would advise anyone to be very cautious when reading the Pearls material. On one hand they preach grace while hold up legalism with the other. To tell you the truth, Debbies book was one of the big factors that kept me with Martin for so long. I really believed that if I left my husband for ANY reason, God would no longer bless me. She teaches that by being a Godly woman you will turn your husband into a Godly man, but that isn't always so. By the time I fianly left, it was a matter of life or death. Honestly, the "better" wife I was the worse he was to us...instead of standing up for myself and the kids i just made it easier for him to control us.

The book I would suggest for any woman is Captivating by John and Staci Eldrige.

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing.
-Brenda Ueland

http://quilandneedle.blogspot.com/

http://musingandmuttering.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

777 Posts

Lea
TN
777 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  8:34:09 PM  Show Profile
Jessie, I have read Created to Be His Helpmeet and, like Calicogirl, found it harsh and legalistic. I much preferred The Excellent Wife by Martha Peace which I felt reflected more of the scripture rather that personal opinions of The Pearls.

I also subscribe to a free magazine called "Above Rubies" by Nancy Campbell. Though she addresses many different issues of being a godly woman and mother, I feel her views of being a supportive and submission wife are very in line with scriptural truths. Her website is www.aboverubies.org. You might find some helpful devotions that might interest and encourage you.

Blessings, Lea
www.farmhouseblessings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  04:50:49 AM  Show Profile
I guess we all have different opinions!!! I have high respect for Michael and Debi Pearl and I would highly recommend Created and any of their Child Training Books. I also like the Excellent Wife. They are just very different authors but both have a biblical outlook on a wife's duty. I do not recommend Nancy Campbell's magazine or books. I feel they hold to this new "Quiverfull" mentality to a fault and I feel many a Christian woman will be held in bondage to something God would NEVER ask of us. That's another subject entirely.
You will have to read and decide what kind of marriage you would like!!! I would suggest Love Dare!
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  09:54:31 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Misty,
I think you are right, maybe it depends of the type of man we have :0.. for me Debi Pearl's book was good, because it helped me to be the women I wanted to be, knowing full well it was me that needed to change.... not change the man I have...But since my mom died through domestic violance, I would never expect a women to stay in a situation that was anything less than honoring of the priceless gift she is.

I will say this.... I dont ever propose that we follow any "persons" teachings... I think it is fine to read, and I am an avid reader, and have things challenge us.. but books are just that.. they are one persons view of what has worked, or not worked for them... I think that we are all given that still small voice in us that points to truth... WE KNOW WHAT WE NEED TO DO........we just keep going around trying to collect evidence..LOL. instead of taking action.

Corrine I love captivating too....

My prayer is that we all get to a place where we honor each other no matter what... that we find honor in each others journey, whether that is having been married for 50 years.. or whether that is having the courage to leave a bad situation to take control of your own happiness..... both in my view worth honoring.....

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/http://renenaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  1:26:07 PM  Show Profile
Rene--I didn't know the Pearls had a monthly publication. What is it called?

I read a magazine called Far Above Rubies, but I am not sure who it was by. Is this the same one you are talking about by Nancy Campbell?

I just keep praying that no matter what I read, or by whom, that God would speak to my heart with the truths and help me to realize what is just personal opinion. I think we can all learn from other people experiences, (That's what makes us all unique) but know they are just experiences and meant to be mindful of them and not take them as an application of "this is how it has to be and this is how you have to do it") :)

Kris--Hubby's and my relationship is alot like yours. We make the decisions together, though we have made it so he has the final say. This doesn't mean he turns into an ogre and says "THIS IS HOW IT HAS TO BE" but rather, when we truly don't know what to do, he makes his best judgement.

I think these books are great guidlines. Guidlines are only things you could use or go by if you want. Not rules. Rules say you have to and how miserable would marriage be if we always had to live by a certain set of rules. Marriage is definitly confusing enough without adding that to the pot..lol :)
THank you all so much for sharing. I am so encouraged to hear how everyone sees different things and what works for you. It helps me to think of better and new ideas that might help me to be the better wife and then Hubby and I to be a better couple. :)
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9348 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9348 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  2:50:24 PM  Show Profile
I have read both Created and Excellent Wife as you know Jess, and I have cautions about both. No one is perfect so just reading them and gleaning what you can according to Scripture and leaving the rest is best.
I just picked up a book by Elizabeth George called "A Woman After God's Own Heart" She also has a very good book called "A Woman's High Calling" Elizabeth George is definitely an author I trust to base her writings on God's word.
Looking forward to reading it. I think I still have "The Excellent Wife" and if I can find it you can borrow it.
The monthly publication by the Pearls is called No Greater Joy.

Denise
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Mar 28 2009 05:45:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9348 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9348 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  2:51:50 PM  Show Profile
Corrine,
In her book Debi does recommend that if a woman is in physical danger then she should leave.

Denise
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Kay
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Tina Kay
Deary ID
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2009 :  10:09:39 AM  Show Profile
I have read Created and liked it. Of course you will never agree with everything in a book. But with anything you read, you need to always check it with scripture. I thought it harsh at times and the tact was off, but I did get somethings out of it.
With problems with spouse abuse you leave.
With divorce stand firm on the bible.
Two very tough and painful topics.

Tina Kay

Now I get me up to work, I pray the Lord I may not shirk. If I should die before tonight, I pray the Lord my work's all right. Anon.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Reading Room: Previous Topic Created to Be His Helpmeet Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page