Sue Feely
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Sue
Buffalo New York
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  5:23:37 PM  Show Profile
I am here too, usually also as a quiet person! As one farmgirl told me once "so you are a lurker!"
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2009 :  09:21:26 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Mavens,
WOW what a year this has been. I was going back and reading my journal from the past year. I cannot even begin to outline the changes, the friendships, the things that have become so much a part of me that it is like "breathing". I will always be a maven, both quietly and loudly as things speak to me.

My silence this last couple days has been due to a family friend being lost on Mount Hood. Heart breaking for sure. So while I have been a "Lurker" (funny Sue), I haven't posted much, as it has been hard to wrap my words up into anything cohesive.

My friend just handed me the book "The Healthy Truth" How our food is making us sick. So that is one that I will be reading next. I am just finishing my re-read of "Diet for a new America" & The Food Revolution both by John Robbins (must reads).

I dont subscribe to the thought that there are only times of learning and then times of doing... I try to co-mingle the two.. I always want to be learning and I always want to be doing. Yet I do think that it takes a while to find that rythmn for each of us. I always have 2,3,4, or more books open at a time. Sometimes they are deeper than others... For example: I just spent so much time in the sweet little book called the Potting Shed by Linda Smith.. it is a little coffee table book. That just makes me happy.. then I poured myself back into the revolution... tee-hee...

If youre looking for some great reads the ones I have mentioned are truly that. So, I am wondering what everyone else is reading?

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJanesFarm made us SISTERS :)

Rene'Groom~
Sisterhood Coordinator

Farmgirl Sister #185
www.MaryJanesFarm.com/RFBlog/
www.Twitter.com/ReneGroom
www.FarmGirlsFarm.blogspot.com
www.renesnaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  07:31:54 AM  Show Profile
hola!
I will NEVER abandon the cause, but like Contrary Wife, I am very busy "doing" versus "typing". I started an online business and I do nothing but bake lately. HAving trouble getting in the mood for Christmas Cookies. I've been kinda ill, I have ulcerative colitis. Not a great subject to talk about as it hinders a LOT of my time. I'm in the throes of changing diet, lifestyle (again) and stress reduction. I am also hoping to be a seedsman for Baker Creek next year so a lot of planning is going on as far as the market goes. Last year was kinda like flying on a wing and a prayer and I did really good, but now it's time to set some boundaries and a schedule. I wish I could spend hours on the phone with everybody, but I can't. Just know that all of your are close to my heart and although I may not post everyday, I'm still a Maven. and nothing will ever change that.

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Maven
http://www.harvestthymefarm.vpweb.com
www.onefunkyfarmgirl.blogspot.com
~I'd rather be on my farm than Emperor of the World~George Washington
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  07:41:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Ladies!

I too have been super busy this fall! I thought that once summer said goodbye that things would wind down a bit but just like was just in the magazine that the ranchers and farmers have fallwork in preperation for a slower winter, I think I am still doing my fallwork within my life. Still wrapping up my college semester and starting a brand new 40 hour a week job that is going to make a huge difference in our financials. So I too am a lurking maven- hopefully with more time to reconnect in January!! Looking forward to ordering seeds!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  08:41:09 AM  Show Profile
BUMP!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Maven
~Let me take ya for a ride on my big green tractor~
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  09:18:38 AM  Show Profile
Well I have 1800 square feet to plant and am really looking for new things I know I want a flower cutting garden and tons more cabbage and brocolli. I look out on this this area every day and just can't wait to get started.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Sue Feely
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Sue
Buffalo New York
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  10:45:29 AM  Show Profile
Now that the Holidays are over; I cant wait to start my garden, I have been saving all the paper egg cartons for seedlings and recently I read that you can use the inserts from toilet paper (or paper towels) to make seedling cups. I was a little leary about that though thinking that maybe some of the inserts would have some undesirable materials in them that would not make good seedling cups. My DH recently has taken to buying toilet paper from the Dollar Store but to my surprise that paper is made in the USA! Has anyone every heard/tried the toilet paper cups and how well did they work?

Happy New Year Mavens

Sue Feely
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  10:52:23 AM  Show Profile
I'm looking at the garden but I can't go into it - way too muddy at this point. I'm planning ahead though - my big goal is to get the house organized again in January and then take trips to the dump in February so come March I can actually work in the garden without feeling overwhelmed.
I hope y'all had a great Christmas!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  11:17:26 AM  Show Profile
I am with you all of the way Amy Grace! I have been on a cleaning frenzy for the last week. I have ordered my seeds already though and am itchin' to get them started, but I have to wait at least another month for that. DH and I were out walking the property yesterday trying to decide where to move the 9 blueberry bushes we have. They just don't get enough light where they are, so we will move them this spring.

Must get back to my frenzy- Take care.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  1:16:32 PM  Show Profile
LILLIAN! AG! Holy Cow! You're ALIVE!!!!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Maven
~Let me take ya for a ride on my big green tractor~
Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  5:15:14 PM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
I've just finished all the holiday stuff and been busy cleaning house and putting things away. Have been circling all the seeds I want to purchase in my seed catalogs that I did'nt get last season and those I was'nt able to save. Am itching to pull out the pics of the garden from last year and start planning this years garden. My garden at home is covered in snow so it will be awhile before planting. Won't be long to start indoor seeds but just need a bit of time to breathe before I begin anew. This is gonna be a good year.

Gail
Farmgirl #486

http://www.grammasladybug@blogspot.com
http://www.klamathfallscharmingchicks@blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  07:52:39 AM  Show Profile
Yup, I am alive and kickin! Girls- DON'T wait too long to place your seed orders. I placed mine on Dec 22, and some of the varieties I wanted are already on backorder!!!! Hope I get them. We are actually planting less this year, as our family is growing up and moving away. I am not sure how I will survive planting 25 tomato plants! Maybe I will eek in an extra 5!!! Todays plan is to order my onions plants-hope I can control myself!

Gail how much snow do you have? We are just rainy up here, but it keeps the ground soft enough the girls can peck through the garden and get all of the bug eggs!

Off to find my onion catalog-Have a great day everyone.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2010 :  7:39:13 PM  Show Profile
Lillian - who did you order from?
It is now frozen here - big ruts that were all mud on Monday but, it's supposed to be raining again on Saturday. I'm not minding - it means snow in the mountains but not here.

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2010 :  06:48:03 AM  Show Profile
Hey Amy Grace- we are in the same boat here, MUD everywhere! My husband has a Honey-Do list and I just added gravel in front of the chicken coop door to his list, there is so much mud there I am sure to fall on my bum.

I ordered my seed from SSE and Baker Creek. SSE was backordered on 3 of my 6 items. I am going to give them a call today and find out if they are going to be getting them or if I should order from someone else. I also ordered my onions from Dixondale Farms yesterday, I think I am set for this year! I am getting the itch already, so this weekend I may put a "grow" light in the house on an extra table I have and start some lettuce growing.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2010 :  09:30:46 AM  Show Profile
Yeah - I have been poring through the SSE catalog nonstop. It's a ways before I can plant though:) Did you order potatoes? Just wondering if there is backordering on them this year. I think with all the seeds I have left from last year the only things I will need to buy are potatoes, onions, and asparagus. Maybe a couple new peppers and one tomato plant - have to try a new tomato right? Anyway - the house is still a wreck so that is my project for today. There was the layer of Christmas stuff that is halfway packed up that got superimposed with a layer of stuff from my grandparent's house that we moved them out of - that stuff doesn't have homes yet so I have some major organizing to do.....
If I don't check back in by Sunday I've been swallowed by stuff:D
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2010 :  1:53:11 PM  Show Profile
Hola Mavens! I also am fixing to start my seeds....our garden this year is about (a rough guesstimate) 3000 sq ft!! I want to have a separate 2000 sq ft melon and pumpkin patch, but we'll see how it works out when my seed orders arrive!! Hopefully I'll be able to recieve everything and not have anything on back order (fingers crossed!!) i am just so excited I can't see straight...hopefully I'm not biting off more than I can chew! lol...but I want this coming season to be "the season of all seasons!!" LOL! I can't believe i haven't gotten my SSE catalog...but Baker Creek is ablout all I need anyways...lol....happy gardening to all of you mavens!!!

http://cockadoodledewberries.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  3:00:09 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I Hope that some of us were able to watch Michael Pollan on Oprah yesterday... (thanks to Tivo, I watched it last night). He has a new book out, so I posted over at the Hen House anyone up to reading it along with me and forming a discussion group?

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJanesFarm made us SISTERS :)

Rene'Groom~
Sisterhood Coordinator

Farmgirl Sister #185
www.MaryJanesFarm.com/RFBlog/
www.Twitter.com/ReneGroom
www.Prosserfarmgirls.ning.com

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  6:34:54 PM  Show Profile
Hey Mavens - I am in for the book reading and I posted in the discussions section - please let me know what you think
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 46 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Maven Teatime Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page