Page: of 46

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  5:10:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Hi Mavens and all the other Farmgirls I have become friends with.

I am starting this thread because I miss all my Maven Sisters!!! We used to all visit with each other over on the DOE thread and now that we decided the DOE thread was just for heirlooms/gardening we aren't visiting like we used to...but, I miss visiting with you girls!!!!! So, here's the plan, I want y'all to come and visit, pull up a chair in front of the wood burner and I'll make you a cuppa tea, maybe pull a few cookies out of the freezer and we'll visit. We can share our joys, tears, and projects!

Well, I'm getting ready to take a trip to Nevada tomarrow, be back Monday, and I was going to start this thread then, but I recieved some really good news and of course I have to share it with y'all!!! My daughter, Autumn, and her husband Ruben just got the news today that the twin foster children they have had, are up for adoption and they are starting that process tomarrow!!! I'm going to be Grandma again!

Oh, and my rhubarb is starting to come up Spring can't be far away!! I'll talk to y'all next week when I get back, love ya!

P.S. I found this great quote and I have to share it with you.

"I make myself rich by making my wants few." HENRY DAVID THOREAU

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  6:08:32 PM  Show Profile
Hey - I think I will go check my rhubarb, should be right about the same as yours:)
Have a great trip Teresa Sue!! Hope to hear from you when you get back and to hear from the other mavens too!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  6:11:04 PM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
Teresa Sue, congrats on becoming a grandma again. The tea and cookies sound wonderful. I'm glad you started this thread so that everyone can stay in touch. I'm still a fairly new Maven but I like to read about everyone and get to know them better. I do understand about the DOE and agree it should be about the heirlooms and talk of such. It helps me to find info on that particular topic much easier in its own thread.
Hope you have a pleasant trip, and I will be looking for other Mavens to share their day on this thread. As for my day, it was warm, sunny and wonderful. My Maven friend, Cheryl, came to my home and we had a great visit. Hope everyone's day was as nice.

Gail
Farmgirl #486
mbr. Charming Chicks
http://grammasladybug.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  6:45:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Hi girls!!!!!! I knew you would come :^)!

Yes, Amy Grace I thought I should empty my kitchen compost bucket before I left cause I knew the hubs would never think of it and there my little rhubarbies were, just peeking their little head out, lol. I know, I know, who would get so crazy about rhubarb, hahaha.
I can't wait to visit with you, give you your goodies, and hear all about your trip!

Hi Gail, welcome to the Mavens. You are right, when we visit back and forth it helps us get to know each other better. I know how much I have enjoyed the friendship of the Mavens and looked forward to "seeing" everyone. I read that you were the decorating Queen, lol, now I'm waiting to see those pics Cheryl took!!!! I think I also read you and Cheryl are coming to the BBB? Hope we can get together.

I will talk to y'all when I get back :^) !!Have a great weekend!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  7:08:33 PM  Show Profile
Yayyyyy!!!!!!
Okay, just a little excited - no rhubarb but.....
the ground is thawed.
woo-hoo!!
I'm going to the feed store tomorrow and buying a good shovel, a pitchfork, and some rubber boots. It's too early to walk into the garden, still muddy, but I can get started on the perimeter.
I'm gonna do some weeding!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  7:33:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
LOL! I have some garlic I didn't get planted last fall, hopefully when I get back the ground will be not so muddy and I can plant it. Yes, I have weeding to do to!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  8:08:42 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Hey TS thanks for getting this started I have missed it as well.. I love the mental picture of tea. I posted this picture over at the bread MaryJane way thread, but it seemed fitting for here too.

I am getting so excited for spring, and have been busy with all the planning. One of our prosserfarmgirls has been posting about edible flowers which is so fun and I cant wait to see what we can come up with.

Here are a couple of things I have been doing~

this is my new addition to my cold frame collection.. it is housing my leaf lettuce... Yum~ of course I am using the SQ Foot gardening methods and soil.

SHHHHH these are my backyard flock

My husband gets most of the credit for this one, but I get a little.....

We closed off more of the yard so that I could put in more raised beds...

The bed a long this fense will be my "farmgirl plot" and house seeds of mavens and farmgirls... I cant wait...

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/http://renenaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  8:50:04 PM  Show Profile
Thank you TS.. I miss this visiting page too.. I have been busy and Yes, I did make Gail post some shots. She is much to humble. Her decorating ideas are top notch. So I tip my cup of wonderful tea and say Cheers to everyone. Congratulations upon being agrandma again.. It is wonderful isn't it? When I got home today Clay& I finished the siding project on the "girls studio"Finally.. and it looks nice, I wish I could take the tarp off the chicken pen, but we are still experiencing some rain & the poor girls need to stay dry. May I have another cup of tea please? Rene, your projects look wonderful. Gail I hope I didn't embarrass you.. Nah I think you can take the compliment.

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309
Klamath Falls "Charming Chicks Chapter" Mother Hen

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

You never know when what you say or do will make a difference...Kerry Kennedy
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  8:55:32 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like alot of busy ladies here. I actually did some things today. I planted some more spinach and lettuce. My hubby and I painted the living room last week and he keeps wanting me to put it all back together, so we've been putting up shelves and pictures. I painted an old chest that I foung out in the milk room that came with the house. It's really old because they used the dove-tail instead of nails. So I painted it white and will use it for a coffee table. Every time he comes back inside he says how nice things are looking. He's been home way too long!

Then I let the goats out in the yard to mow. They are great mowers. I stayed out with them to make sure they stayed away from the apple trees. They got close but that's all. While I was out there I noticed my clematis was coming up!!! They're a few inches tall! I thought they died last year. I love to see little things coming up. There is also lots of money plants in the wild flower garden, too. I love those.

Well, thanks for the tea and visit. Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2009 :  05:07:14 AM  Show Profile
great idear my friend.... I'm off to a little getaway for a few days so you wont see me poppin in here this week as much. I too, miss the visiting. Its not been the same in awhile.

TS! A grammie! YAY!

I had yesterday off and spent the ENTIRE day outside fiddlin around. I got the shed all cleaned out and all the for sale stuff up and displayed. Now I just gotta price it. My body is so sore in places I think I forgot i had! I also got all my flower beds cleaned up and the compost turned, the laundry cleaned and hung on the line. Phew! Now I'm a gonna pack up and hit the happy highway...my plans have changed a little, but still gettin away.

I sure hope that everyone has a great week. I've missed you all terribly!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
~live big, ride hard, and shoot straight."
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2009 :  05:55:18 AM  Show Profile
Ya'll are gonna laugh at me. I'm packed for 4 days. And I can't get anything else in my suitcase. Lord, how am I gonna do this for BBB and thats a FULL WEEK? TS: I hope you have a hair dryer that I can use, cuz I can't pack mine... too big, too much room. And I hope that I can wear flip flops, cuz there ain't no room for shoes. Man, I tell ya, I gotta downsize..... I have it all, and I take it all with me!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
~live big, ride hard, and shoot straight."
Go to Top of Page

sjs
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Stephanie
Oakland CA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2009 :  09:15:47 AM  Show Profile  Send sjs an AOL message  Send sjs a Yahoo! Message
I love this idea! Thanks Teresa Sue :)

--------------------
Learning to live is learning to let go.

Visit my food blog! http://www.wasabimon.com - natural cooking to live for.
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2009 :  09:44:36 AM  Show Profile
Congrats on becoming a grammie again TS! and thank you for the wonderful and thoughtful letters. Thank you soooo much for starting this thread, I miss visiting and hearing from my Maven sisters.
I've been so busy lately with my dad and not in good health, but I am happy that almost all of the snow has melted here and I can hear the spring time birdies singin'! WOO HOO! It's too cold and soggy to plant yet but I am looking so forward to a nice warm spring day. I hope it doesn't get too hot early. I want to enjoy springtime for a while

As soon as the won't rot or freeze, I need to get my spring crops planted, can't wait !

Dawn, where are you going? I hope you have fun and don't sprain somthin' with those heavy suitcases

Rene, you are so creative! I wish I had half of your ambition. I'm just plain lazy

Corinne! where are you sister? I haven't heard from you in so long? I miss you. I guess it's time to plunk my bottom down and email some folks.

Hugs all!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2009 :  11:35:12 AM  Show Profile
Congrats on being a gramma again TS!!, and thanks for Maven Tea Time, too!

Annika, how is your father feeling? I hope much better.

Dawn - Have a wonderful trip!

Gail - Saw your blog...Cute, cute! Good job on the apron! And thank you for the seeds!

To all of you who emailed me for seeds, they will go out this weekend, I ran out of seed packets and wasn't about to stick them to scotch tape like a friend of mine suggested, so I had to put in an order for them....OK, I say they'll go out this weekend...that means I'll put them in the mail box at the PO Saturday morning on my way yo go shopping with my Mother, but they won't actually be on their way to ya'll until Monday....Postal workers in our town have it very easy...9:30 AM to 4:00PM Mon-Fri, and get every weekend off!...I think I'll apply for a job there! LOL

Well, I have all kinds of seeds popping up in my dinning room, so exciting, I love this time of year! Yes, I got a late start, but we have such a long growing season here that we harvest tomatoes, squash and cukes all the way into November! 3 seasons ago, we were still picking random little cherry tomatoes until Christmas!! The weather has been beautiful all week, getting up in the 80 area, and no clouds anywhere!! So I have been busy outside...making a couple of bamboo trellis' for my Hillbilly Garden (4 half blue plastic 55 gallon barrels filled with soil!) I'd have 50 more if I could get my hands on that many!! LOL....oh, well, better to be Redneck Hillbilly lookin', than to not have them at all!!! LOL! In the garden, the lettuce, spinach, cabbage and broccoli, beets and swiss chard are up and looking good!!

Well, need to go out and get clothes off the line!! Hope you all have a great day!! Kelley
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2009 :  12:04:06 PM  Show Profile
Hey Ya'lllll!!!!! For any of you who like this idea, I suggest you do it!!!

I just called my local "bigbox" store and spoke with the manager...I asked her if I could come and pick up all of the "dead" rejected stock out of their garden center once they "throw it away"!!! they are going to call me the days they do it, she said they usually do it every other week....and I can load up as much of it as I can fit in my vehicle!!

Now....just think of how much good compost all of those dead plants and potting soil will make!!! And Ya'll know how those stores are!!! They are bad about throwing away perfectly good plants!! So, not only will I be increasing my compost pile and getting plenty of "seed starting" pots for next season as well as some good, bigger pots out of it, but I will probably also score a few nice plants out of the deal, too!!! And to think....It would have all been going to the landfill!!!!!!!!!

Seriously....if ya'll like the idea, just call! i know that not everyone has the time to deal with stuff like this, but for those of you who do, I think it's a great idea!!!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2009 :  6:32:59 PM  Show Profile
Kelley, sometimes Lowe's has a .25 table with all kinds of flowers and plants. A few years ago I got all kinds of really nice plants for just a few dollars. But I like your idea, too.

My hubby made a cold frame today out of an old door we had just laying around and our old windows. I just had to buy 1 set of hinges and 3 2x4's. So he made it a double one. It's so cool. I put all my cups of tomatoes and the new plants i bought today down inside it. I'll go get soil tomorrow. I'll take a picture and try to get it on here someday. And he weeded the strawberries, too. He is pretty handy to have around. I can't wait to get to grow things in the cold frame now.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2009 :  6:44:03 PM  Show Profile
Great idea Kelley!! It seems that the stores around here hang onto the plants till they are literally dead so I don't know if I could score any "live" plants but the compost and soil is a good thing.
Rene - very impressive. We are hoping to get started on some building, need to build a home for our chickies - they arrive on April 27th. Then to build some raised beds. I bought two shovels, a spading fork and a hoe, plus some garden boots today. I'm gettin' ready. Next week I have my trays/seed starting mix/heat mats budgeted and according to the farmer's almanac Friday is a good day for planting.
Annika - so good to hear from you!! Maybe when Teresa Sue gets back we can do the Moscow Co-op meet-up thing:)
All of you - good to hear your voices again, I missed it
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2009 :  04:46:52 AM  Show Profile
I would like to ask for prayers from my Mavens friends. My parents are going through a ver bad time, and we need peace and understanding at the moment so the situation won't escalate in a bad way.
Many thanks in advance, I will explain privately by email.
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2009 :  05:51:16 AM  Show Profile
Hi Corinne, I will pray for you and your parents, and I hope that everything is ok in your part of the world. Hugs and prayers, Kelley
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2009 :  07:58:32 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
HI Corrine, I am so sorry. Sending prayers....

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/http://renenaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2009 :  3:29:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Hi Mavens, just a quick note from sunny and very warm Ely, Nevada. So good to hear from all of you. Cheryl would you like black tea? Corrinne, I'm sending you and your parents a big hug and lots of prayers. Rene' your cold frames and fence are too cool. Great idea Kelley!!! Hey, Dawny dear,was wondering where you were, and hi Annika! I'll talk to y'all when I get home, I'm on my brother's laptop and it's hard to type on. Have another cuppa, grab some banana bread, don't forget the butter! Happy dirt to all of you!!LOL!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2009 :  5:56:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Ladies!

I have MISSED you so much! Me without internet is not a pretty sight!! How has everyone been?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2009 :  6:40:10 PM  Show Profile
Corinne, you and your family have my prayers and peaceful wishes. I hope that all is well.
Sorry I haven't emailed in so long. Please take care.
*HUGS*

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2009 :  7:27:20 PM  Show Profile
Corinne - you and your parents are in my prayers.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2009 :  9:37:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Corrine- I hope your parents find the peace they need! *hugs*

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2009 :  10:33:58 PM  Show Profile
hey gals. ok yummy peppermint tea for me, or hmm.. how about chai or vanilla flavored..anything works.:0)
even good ole' southern tea with plenty of lemon on the side..mmm.
Well, the green beans are sprouting and about 5 inches tall..seems the chickens had fun devouring quite a few of the seedlings when they were wee sproutings, and scratching some seed up to the surface..darn birds.But half of what we planted remains and we'll still see a decent crop from them...I hope.
They've also been into the strawberry bed and have been eating the strawberries in their green/white stage..darn birds!.."maybe" we'll have berries and beans if we can keep the chickens from them. We do have some low fencing around most of the beans, but those birds figure things out.At a new place the birds will have an enclosed run and "fancy" coop built for them.
--------
It has been crazy/hectic here. I've been busy painting and packing again.A few things remain before the deep cleaning/staging happens...but not much. Rearranging furniture for staging, and hauling furniture out to store in garage.Then working on the seed shop, and running errands just about daily. We are closer and closer to the big day of finally, finally getting the realtors out here. Just a few wee things yet to do...some we'll hire done, and a few things we'll knock out this weekend...and next weekend & so forth.
I will sigh a huge sigh of releif when the sign is finally placed out front...And I have something better to talk about than this darn trying to get things ready to sell/move.I honestly and truly had no idea that getting a home ready to sell would be so time consuming and take the time it has, even though we have done numerous upgrades. I guess what made it so time consuming was/is the trying to maintain a routine with homeschooling,running several businesses,maintaining a bi monthly e-zine,running errands, and everything else in between that falls into the mommy/wife category...that this whole thing wound up being 2 1/2 months behind the schedule I would have preferred to having things done.And I will be so glad when I have a new home and can talk about things that are not as daggum boring...getting ready to sell/move is so stressful that some days I feel on total mind overload. It totally throws one's routine/planning/scheduling off big time.
-----------
Corrine_ I received the lovely postcard..thanks so very much. My sincere hopes that peace can be restored in your family.hugs to you.
Gals_ all of you..I hope that you all have an absolutely wonderful weekend.
--------------
I enjoy chatting with you all, and if you all still want to do the live chat anytime...the doors are open over at the Small Town Living chat room. If you'd all like to switch to a different day other than Monday nights...just let me know when a good eening for everyone would be. The live chats were so much fun.
I'd like for it to be convenient for everyone though..so if anyone has ideas for when would be a better time for everyone...just let me know and we can all make a point to try to gather at a time that is good for everyone.
--------------
Have a good weekend everyone..and thanks for the tea :)

~I Dream of a Better World..where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!~
blogs:http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and http://thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
magazine: www.stliving.net
etsy shops: http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 46 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Maven Teatime Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page