YiberryYadeeKarin
True Blue Farmgirl

343 Posts

Karin
Spokane Valley WA
USA
343 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2006 :  10:59:34 AM  Show Profile
Anybody out there in the eastern Washington or northern Idaho area who would like to get into shape and do some hiking? I'm really out of shape but would love to start doing some walking or hiking.

Let me know! Karin

Debs
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Debs
Wellington
New Zealand
100 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2006 :  09:27:52 AM  Show Profile
Karin - I was once a Girl Guide (Girl Scout) and we went on a couple of overnight hiking trips - one was to a place called Butterfly Creek, where we hiked over a hill to a very wooded area, next to the Creek, set up camp, and cooked "damper" and hot chocolate over the fire - wonderful times!
This is a picture of the picnic area there:

If I get to visit Spokane Valley, would definitely join you and other farmgirls on an overnight hike/camp-out somewhere in the wilderness there!
Debby
Go to Top of Page

Mrs Tiggywinkle
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Sara
Spokane WA
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2006 :  7:04:29 PM  Show Profile
Hi Karin-
Check out my dh's website; you'll get LOTS of ideas. Since I developed lymphedema in my leg, we've done lots less outdoorsy stuff, but still try to occasionally. Dishman Hills is near where you live, and is a really fun place to hike- hard to believe it's just off Sprague! http://www.spokaneoutdoors.com/map.htm (click on Spokane to see lots around here, or on any of the others for more ideas.)

Love, Sara

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
Go to Top of Page

YiberryYadeeKarin
True Blue Farmgirl

343 Posts

Karin
Spokane Valley WA
USA
343 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2006 :  7:17:08 PM  Show Profile
Hey, Sara!

I LOVE your dh's website!!! I have visited it many times over the years and love it!!! (And it's your dh's!?!?)

I know Dishman Hills well (okay, not well, as I can still get turned around there) and lots of other neat outdoorsy places around here. I got my degree years ago in geography and still love finding new, out of the way, and unknown places. Yesterday a friend and I drove to a Spokane County Conservation Futures area near Newman Lake. Trouble is there was more snow than we were prepared for so we weren't able to do any walking around.

The challenge is to find people to go hiking with -- especially at my skill level at this time. I tried the Mountaineers a few years back. Neat group but more serious about distance than I am. The friend I like to do outdoorsy stuff with the most isn't someone I see often (maybe once a month) and she's reoccuring knee problems -- and admits to being lazy. (Although we did go to Kamiak Butte last spring.) Other friends I'd like to go with either live too far away (north Idaho), work conflicting schedules, don't like to walk/hike, etc.

Tell me more about the condition you have in your leg? And, BTW, how are those seat covers in your Prius?

Karin
Go to Top of Page

CountryGirl85
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Laura
Oswego IL
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2006 :  10:21:51 PM  Show Profile  Send CountryGirl85 an AOL message  Send CountryGirl85 a Yahoo! Message
Hey Karin!
I wished I lived closer to you because I absolutely LOVE hiking! I'd really like to go backpacking in the near future! Hiking the Appalachian trail in it's entirety, which is over 2,000 miles and takes five months, is on my things to do before I die list! I'm nowhere near ready to do anything like that, so I'll stick with day hikes and shorter backpacking trips for now! I'm lucky because my boyfriend also loves the outdoors as do my parents, so most of the time I have someone to go with me! But I've also found that hiking alone is wonderful. I used to be scared to ride my bike or hike alone, but I've gotten over that and really enjoy spending time by myself in Nature. It's such a soul-soothing activity. Actually it's more than just an activity, it's an experience. I went canoeing alone for the first time last fall. I paddled into a little cove and read a book. It was so nice! I guess I should mention that it was really windy and I had a hell of a time getting out of that little cove and onto shore, but that's not the point! I just love being outdoors so much. Wild places are sacred to me. I feel a strong conncetion with the Divine when I'm in Nature, even if I'm just digging in the garden. I spent last summer as a counselor at a Girl Scout camp and literally lived outside. In those few short months, I grew to love sleeping in a tent, the sounds of the crickets and cicadas and other noisy night bugs, the constant fresh air and sunshine, the momma deer and her two fawns that visted, the walking stick that took up residence in my tent for a week, the greedy raccoons, the momma turkey and her babies who greeted me one morning, the cool water in the creek, the wildflowers that grew in the prairie, oh I just loved it all! And I'm getting way off the subject so I'll stop my reminiscing for now! I hope you find a few friends to hike with, and if you don't, get out there and do it anyway! I look forward to hearing about your outdoor experiences! I've gotta learn how to post pictures so I can share some with ya'll!

Happy hiking,
Laura
Go to Top of Page

NicoleG
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Illinois
92 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2006 :  7:49:27 PM  Show Profile
I am trying to get into backpacking. I went to school at Southern Illinois University for 3 1/2 years and Shawnee National Forest is so pretty. I camped and hiked as much as I could while I was down there. I recently bought a backpack (for long trips) and am trying to plan a trip sometime this year. I also wish I lived out there. It looks so beautiful!
Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic Any wannabee hikers out there? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page