YiberryYadeeKarin
True Blue Farmgirl

343 Posts

Karin
Spokane Valley WA
USA
343 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2006 :  10:55:13 AM  Show Profile
Anybody out there into geocaching or letterboxing?

I bought a book on the latter topic but don't have a GPS (too $) for geocaching. It sounds like such a neat way to get out and explore!

Karin

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2006 :  11:17:19 AM  Show Profile
Hi Karin!
My son geocaches. He bought a GPS and has gone out a few time. Problem is he doesnt have anyone to share this with. Seems like most of his friends arent interested. He's keeping track of a travel bug on the internet that is interesting. I might get into it when the weather turns nicer. Luzy

P.S. What is letterboxing?

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Edited by - Luzy on Jan 19 2006 11:19:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2006 :  11:38:25 AM  Show Profile
I almost got into that, but the GPS were costly when it first got popular.
Maybe they have gone down on price?
It sounds likeee it would be fun, hunting treasures.might still try it.
shirley
Go to Top of Page

CountryGirl85
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Laura
Oswego IL
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2006 :  10:41:31 PM  Show Profile  Send CountryGirl85 an AOL message  Send CountryGirl85 a Yahoo! Message
These sound like some neat things! Never heard of either before now.

Much love,
Laura
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2006 :  06:45:03 AM  Show Profile
As part of my amateur radio training I ran into some geocachers..they got me excited and interested, and I set up my own "cache" at a city-owned park near here (huge park, near a reservoir). The very next weekend after I published the location, I saw where someone had taken an SUV or truck and mowed down the fence at the parking area (so they could use their truck-mounted GPS along the trail?) and also read in the paper that some boats at the nearby Boy Scout camp had been stolen. Since my "trail" to my cache led past the boat dock (it was very picturesque) I felt VERY guilty about this and withdrew the site from the geocaching list. Everyone I talked to afterward said that geocachers don't act like that, but the timing was just too much coincidence for me and it kind of soured me on the whole thing.

My GPS was very inexpensive several years ago-slightly over $100 - I just got the handheld one. I think the prices are coming down even more - most cell phones now have GPS receivers in them so they are cheaper to manufacture in mass quantities.

I love the GPS for driving around in strange cities - finding my way to knitting conferences, etc. I wouldn't be without it.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2006 :  07:20:35 AM  Show Profile
Dh wanted to do this, so I bought him a gps last year for Christmas. We have been doing geocaching and letterboxing ever since. I've found that when I go with him, it's a great time to have "just us" time. The kids don't want to go on such long drives in the car with us old folks, so he and I grab some fruit and a few bottles of water and set out.

Sometimes we talk alot, sometimes I read or gaze out the window or just "rest my eyes" and listen to the radion. No phone calls, no chores to do, and for us, a great way to start the day.

Btw, the gps I bought him was a good one, but reasonably priced at Target. You might want to check there.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.
Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic Geocaching or Letterboxing Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page