Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Anybody know about FurRealFriends toys?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Anybody know about FurRealFriends toys? Next Topic  

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  09:50:14 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
What happened to the parrot Hasbro Toy Co. marketed and pulled last May? His name is Squawkers McCaw and he is a very cool animated guy the same size as a real parrot. Here's a link to a video of him doing his thing:
http://host.exemplum.com/hasbro/squawkers_demo/frf_squawkers_parrot.htm?GUID=11B18C55-0F67-48F8-8D27-47BB6ABFE918&src=endeca
I bought one for myself(yes, in a thrift store-) and it was missing the remote control. He still does lots of cool stuff without the remote, but he can do a lot more things with it. I even called Hasbro and they will only say it was a 'marketing decision'. He wasn't on the market for very long. He's better behaved than my real cockatoo! I found some on ebay, but they sell pretty high and all I want is the remote, not necessarily another parrot. I've searched the internet for an answer as to why he was pulled, but I can't find a thing. It's a mystery.....Do any of you moms of small children know what's up with Squawkers??? I'm extremely out of the toy loop.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  10:08:03 AM  Show Profile
Janice, I think I have a remote for him. I work for Hasbro.
Squawkers the Macaw sold well Christmas before last, especially when they lowered the price. Target had them for about half original price this past Christmas, I'm sure to sell through what was still in the warehouses. Marketing decision means it didn't sell well.
I'll get back to you when I get home from working today. He was really quite a character and my daughter has one...told her he would be less trouble than her cockatoo. Cockatoo went to live in a home that appreciated him, don't know if she still has Squawkers.
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  10:09:03 AM  Show Profile
Do you have his cracker that came with him or the perch?
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  10:13:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Wowee, Ronna!!!! That would be AWESOME!!!! And yes, he came in a beat up box, but the cracker and the perch were still in there. He's sitting on my desk and my boss and co-worker have gotten a huge laugh out of him today.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  10:19:44 AM  Show Profile
Every now and then he'll come up with a sentence you've not heard before. The microscopic computers in the FurReal are amazing. Did you realize he's interactive? and motion activated? Is the instruction book with him too?
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  10:30:03 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Yes, the book and a certificate to register him. And yes, I've been talking to him today.....lol...I say 'whatchadoin?' and he replies 'chillin'....I LOVE Squawkers!!!!! When I say 'I love you', he replies ' I love me, too'! LOL! And he has said a couple of things today that he didn't say over the weekend. He's just so sophisticated. And he moves like a real bird...even flaps his wings, and coos when you stroke his back or beak. My cockatoo could sure take 'nice' lessons from this bird.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  10:32:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I bought him in a Goodwill store and they had 7 or 8 and none of them had a remote. All the remotes had been removed.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  11:26:25 AM  Show Profile
Ah Man! Now I want one to give to my DH. I'm sure we would all have a lot of fun with him.

Hey Ronna, if Hasbro has any more, maybe you could buy them for pennies on the dollar and sell them yourself. Nancy sure would be a good spokeswoman for you............she sold me. (now where to find one)

Cindy

FARMGIRLS CAN DO ANYTHING!!!

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  11:47:35 AM  Show Profile
I don't know if they still have them at HasbroToyShop.com or not. If so, would likely be more than what Janice paid. Sounds like a store donated their leftovers to Goodwill when they were discontinued. Might have gotten credit from Hasbro for destroying them if they returned the remote...stranger things have happened. Sounds a bit odd for so many to be in one thrift shop and none have the remotes. Janice, when you called they did not have a remote to sell you? For all the games (Parker Bros, Milton Bradley and now Cranium), they stock replacements for lost parts. Interesting, I'll ask my manager what she might know about this.
I don't get a big discount on anything, think it's 20% off list price and that's about what Walmart sells for anyway. When I worked for Cross writing instruments (pen co), my discount was about what Target sold them for when on sale.
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  11:52:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
No, Ronna. I checked the website first, then called. The woman took my name and card number, but she wasn't very optimistic about any ever coming in stock. And I only paid $10.00 at the Goodwill store. They had marked them down from $15.00. They didn't have batteries, so there was really no way to know if they even worked. It just looked so cool and realistic, I just couldn't resist. I'm glad I gambled on Squawkers! He just rocks!

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  11:56:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
And they don't even list him on HasbroToyShop at all. I found a few dealers on Amazon who list him, but he's pretty pricey.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  12:07:15 PM  Show Profile
$10 was a good price. They were about $60 to start, think $70 at Target and ToysR Us. Lowest I saw was about $30 for this past Black Friday at Target, no one else had them. If there are more in the warehouse, they'll show up at a Big Lots or other salvage place. I've seen one or two at thrift shops. The Triceratops, Biscuit the dog and big Ponies were this past years big FurReal toys, list price was $300, nearly $200 for the dog. I know of a few at $100 or less right now in my stores.
No telling where in my messy sewing room/office the remote might be, but will let you know soon as I find it Janice. Think I kept it so it wouldn't disappear from a display and the store ended up selling or tossing the display.
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  1:12:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Ok,Ronna. Thanks! And maybe the backorder thing I did today will turn one up. That dog Biscuit is amazing, too. I saw him on the Hasbro website. Where were these toys when I was little? Maybe they should have been marketed to us 'big kids'!

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Anybody know about FurRealFriends toys? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page