Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2009 :  10:01:50 AM  Show Profile
With the weather being so crazy here, I haven't been able to take the children out very often. They are most defintily getting cabin fever and are downright bored. Does anyone have ideas of small projects to do with toddlers? My kiddos are 3 and 2, so their attention spans are like those of a bug.
Thanks for helping out. I know the kids will be glad to have something to do besides watch tv and color all day long.
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"Every man's life is a fairy-tale written by God's fingers."--Hans Christian Anderson

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2009 :  11:34:00 AM  Show Profile
I'm trying to think what I did with mine when they were little...
I made them a felt board. Just a big piece of heavyweight cardboard covered in felt and then cut out shapes and items (clouds, sun, house, trees, etc.)...things that they could make their own pics with. If you're more artistic than I ever was, you could even cut out animals.
And there's always edible playdough. Somewhere I have a recipe for one made with a small amount of vegetable oil that cleaned up like a dream.
Are they big enough to handle safety scissors? Old magazines, a cardboard box and a glue stick would keep them busy.
We also had a huge bathtub at the old place and when I was desperate, I'd let them play in there with plastic cups and spoons, etc. until little toes turned to prunes!
Di
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2009 :  1:08:15 PM  Show Profile
Get a large cookie sheet and pour cornmeal on it and let the kids play with their hotwheels cars or farm animal toys in the cornmeal. That seems to keep them entertained for a long time and the cornmeal can be poured back in the container to be used again and again (for play, not cooking!). Do this on the kitchen floor so any messes can be swept up.
Ask appliance stores or other businesses to see if they have a large box. Have the kids decorate it with markers and crayons and cut out a door and windows. My kids have been known to play with a cardboard box house for a while day.
Put your table chairs in a square and drape a large blanket over the backs of them. This makes an excellent fort. Let them eat lunch in their fort.
Have a picnic on your living room floor. Lay a blanket on the ground and pretend it is summer!
Hope that gives you some ideas!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2009 :  4:13:52 PM  Show Profile
Thanks girls! Today was really a strain. The children were just so bored. I feel bad because they are coop up in here and our space is very limited.
I know that things will change eventually in the mean time, I want to be as creative as possible.
They are learning their letters and Tori is learning to write her name, but if it looks like its not something fun or I can't make life seems like a game, they just don't want to be involved in it.:P
I know I will miss this phase of their childhoods, but for right now, its hard to see the forest for the trees at times.:)
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"Every man's life is a fairy-tale written by God's fingers."--Hans Christian Anderson

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2009 :  8:20:55 PM  Show Profile
I know just how you're feeling, Jessie! I have a 4 year old and a 2 year old, both boys. They don't understand why they can't go outside and play! I am just glad we have a heated garage this winter and hubby has been taking them out with him sometimes so they can ride their bikes and stuff, but it's still getting really old being cooped up all the time!

http://plumcreekmama.blogspot.com/

http://plumcreekcreations.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2009 :  9:41:48 PM  Show Profile
Do a search for Humpty Dumpty Magazine, they have a magazine for toddlers called Turtle.

Also get High Five Magazine, it's for 2-5 year olds.

I just bought my 2 year old a ton of stuff from the Highlights website, (high five is Highlights magazine for toddlers), their website has a TON of free stuff to do, sign up for their email newsletter, they will send you a ton of free stuff from their site to do.

However, I'll tell you what my daughter has liked best from highlights that we paid for, Hot Dots-it's work cards teaching things from shapes, to colors, to math and words, using a pen that says if they got the answer right or wrong, her hop scotch rug! LOVES it! She likes this thing with pockets and stuffed animals for each letter of the alphabet, but it was expensive, maybe you could make one. And she loves her name puzzles (20 each, but if you know a wood worker maybe you could get a cheaper one).

Any way if I had to narrow it down to buying one thing from them I think I would stick with the rug, she loves it! She can't do hopscotch exactly right yet, but she has fun trying! And it fits in our teeny tiny NYC apartment!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

22shortie
True Blue Farmgirl

329 Posts

rebekah
sulphur la
USA
329 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  1:37:22 PM  Show Profile
We have been having a lot of dreary rainy days also, so I've been trying to keep my 2 1/2 yr old busy doing fun stuff indoors, granted most of it requires me to be assisting her in some way so I dont really get a break but it makes me feel better that she's doing something. Recently we made easter SALT DOUGH ornaments...I have pictures and instrucions on my website...they are super easy to make and they take alot of time to shape them and paint them...kept mine busy for a whole day! We also made "no bake cookies" that she could scoop out by herself...she loved that. Im just comming up with stuff as I go...I feel your pain : )

Fresh and creative projects popping up on my blog daily! Stop by and check out what I'm up to today!

http://pumpkinseed-unscripted.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

farmmom22
True Blue Farmgirl

616 Posts

Tammy
Scottsville KY
USA
616 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2009 :  9:00:00 PM  Show Profile
Jess, We made Oobleck(?) at the YMCA where I work and the kids were amazed with it. It's from the Dr. Suess book so you might try to find the book and read it to them first. Then you take 4 cups cornstarch to 2 cups water and a couple drops of green food coloring. Mix it in a big bowl (you will probably have to get in there with your hands to get it good and mixed) and that's it. The AMAZING part about it is when you put your hands in it, it's solid but when you pick some up out of the bowl it turns to liquid and falls out of your hand. Even I was amazed! Just make sure to do it over the bowl! Tammy

http://afarmgirljourney.blogspot.com/
Farmgirl Sister #492

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. -Carl Bard
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2009 :  9:06:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Lately it has been really dreary here to- so I just dress Nora in Layers and get out side until she doesn't want to be outside anymore. Okay- sometimes it is until I don't want to be outside anymore and then we have a temper fit, but it really does help letting her run out a bit of energy outside. If it is cold and wet outside, then she just gets a nice warm bath afterwards.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

amberjsquirrel
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Amber
Norfolk VA
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  10:03:07 AM  Show Profile
I, too, had to look for activities for two 2 year olds during this rainy season. Here is a website with a lot of easy ideas: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Amuse-Toddlers/

I also had to go out and buy a play tent to set up indoors. I tried making my own, but I was so frazzled when it kept falling down, and so this one just pops up--no assembly. I save it for when I am making dinner and it is a hit! I just can't cook when children are whining.

Good luck to us all!
Amber

Farmgirl #505
"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries." --A.A. Milne
Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic Projects for Toddlers Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page