Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Better Off Next Topic  

CountryGirl85
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Laura
Oswego IL
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2006 :  11:01:18 PM  Show Profile  Send CountryGirl85 an AOL message  Send CountryGirl85 a Yahoo! Message
Hey girls!
I'm reading a really great book called "Better Off." It's about a couple who decide to live in an Amish-like communtiy for 18 months leaving behind all modern technology. The authour, Eric Brende, is a young newlywed fresh out of graduate school and is disheartened with the way machines have taken over our lives. He wonders, "What is the least we need to achieve the most?" It's very thought provoking, a scientific analysis intertwinded with a wonderful human story. So far, a great read!

Much love,
Laura

rosebud74a
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Stacy
Maryland NY
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2006 :  03:14:24 AM  Show Profile  Send rosebud74a an AOL message
I am going to add it to my ever growing list of great things to read!!!Thanks, Peace, Stacy

How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live.
Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2006 :  07:01:24 AM  Show Profile
That sounds great ..will have to look for it!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2006 :  07:15:25 AM  Show Profile
Oh let us know how the book is! I've been wanting to read that one!

My blog: mycountryhome.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Snowden Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Mumsie
Valley WA
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2006 :  11:33:30 AM  Show Profile
Did you get it at your local library? Sounds like one I just gotta read!

Blessings, Mumsie

Live simply... Love deeply...Hope forever!
Go to Top of Page

CountryGirl85
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Laura
Oswego IL
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2006 :  9:22:59 PM  Show Profile  Send CountryGirl85 an AOL message  Send CountryGirl85 a Yahoo! Message
Yep, I got it from the library. It really makes you think. A lot of people think that lessening our dependence on modern technology is taking a step back, but I really see it as a step forward. A lot of these things that are supposed to make life easier make it a whole heck of a lot more stressful. I may never live a life without electricity and cars and computers, but I will make more of an effort to turn off the tv, go outside, ride my bike, and enjoy a simpler life. I might even start reading by oil lamp!

Much love,
Laura
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2006 :  12:08:43 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for recommending this book. I just ordered it from my library.

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2006 :  06:53:52 AM  Show Profile
Great book my copy arrived Yesterday!
It's hard to put down!
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2006 :  6:15:27 PM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh! I read that book about 6 months ago and I LOVED it! I am always interested in reading about other people's real life experience in living without electricity. I will be moving to our cabin at the end of March and all we have there is a generator that we drag out if we need electricity for power tools. I will have to use it to power my sewing machine when I move! I ordered the book from Acres USA (a great source for homesteading type books) but I have since seen it in paperback in book stores. I would try half.com.
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2006 :  05:14:43 AM  Show Profile
This was great book!
It makes me want to think of ways I can pare down and live more simply.
We are trying to get our house paid off so my husband can quit and do more things he'd like to.
I'd recommend this book to any farmgirl.
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2006 :  05:21:38 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like a great book! Going to look for it on Amazon right now!

"Sell cleverness and buy wonder"
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2006 :  12:44:20 PM  Show Profile
JUST ORDERED IT USED 2:98 PLUS SHIPPING FROM AMAZON, LOOK FORWARD TO READING IT.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  9:39:15 PM  Show Profile
i had to reply to this, even though it's an old post... i just read this book and i recommend it to anyone interested in simple living. it really makes you think... i seriously consider getting rid of internet after reading it (but then i couldn't come to maryjane's chatroom!). lots of great information about the amish, too! i loved it!

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy."
-Guillaume Apollinaire
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  12:15:37 AM  Show Profile
I forgot all about this post..and never did read this one...it is going on my list for sure!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

1930sgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Joyce
Alberta
Canada
233 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  09:09:37 AM  Show Profile
This sounds like my kind of book!

Dh and I have talked about this sort of lifestyle change for a long time. Maybe not quite as far as having NO modern technology, but at least getting back to how our grandparents would have lived.

Can't wait to read this book! Thank you so much for the review, Laura.

Joyce
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  4:23:17 PM  Show Profile
just went and ordered it this afternoon from our little local camden bookstore! they had to order it, but i said that's okay, i can wait for a few days. i figured that buying local, even a book, would be starting with the right frame of mind!
Go to Top of Page

MarleyRunsTheFarm
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Heather
Knoxville TN
7 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  11:05:47 PM  Show Profile
I loved that book! I live around the Amish community (in Lancaster County, PA), so I've personally experienced a lot of what Brende wrote about with the "Minimites".

Another book that is similar is called "See You in a Hundred Years" by Logan Ward. It's about a couple in Virginia that move to a small farm and remove all the electricity and live completely like they did 100 years ago for 1 year. It was really great- I'm reading it again right now actually!
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  11:34:40 AM  Show Profile
Another book I lov is "Plain and Simple" by Sue Bender. It was copright in 1989. It's about an artist with a capital A who is fascinated so much by an Amish quilt that she lives with Amish families twice. As she learns, the Latin word for hearth is focus. She finds what she had been looking for the calm and focus when she was with the Amish doing dishes. It is a state of mind we can all have whether we live with them or not. The book is about her strugles with both worlds.

Bonnie Ellis

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  6:01:35 PM  Show Profile
I loved Plain and Simple too! Found it really relaxing and refreshing to read after a hectic day at work. I got a copy of Better Off at my local Borders today and cannot wait to read it. Will read the others you guys just recommended too.

My quilting and life blog!!
http://downtoearthliving.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Better Off Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page