Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Heaven Preserve Us! Next Topic  

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2009 :  1:26:21 PM  Show Profile

With all the canning going on I finally got inspired to finish this murder mystery by Cricket McRae.

Sophie Mae is a 30-something crafter who gets caught up in some very interesting situations. She makes/sells soap/lotions online and lives in Washington state. This particular book has her canning during the day and answering a crisis helpline at night...complete with crank caller who seems to be just a little more creepy than you might think. There's a murder, of course, which might just be due to the "beets"...

When I need to shut my brain off for a minute, I love these easy peasy whodunit's for entertainment. It was a quick read and even came witha recipe for Saltea bags (for the bath), wine jelly, watermelon rind pickles, and those "gel" air fresheners. (which I might just try!!!)

Does anyone have her other two books Lye in Wait or Spin a Wicked Web...love to read those!!!

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2009 :  3:55:22 PM  Show Profile
I love the title and the book sounds great too! Thank you for telling us about it. I'm going to run to the library this week and see if they have it!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2009 :  4:06:03 PM  Show Profile
Our library doesn't have that title, but has
Lye in wait : a home crafting mystery by the same author, so I put a hold on it. Love her titles.

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many & MRET ~ Energy Healing & Wellness Coaching Sessions

http://herbalmommasda.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  6:45:01 PM  Show Profile
I just finished "Heaven Preserve Us". It was a great book, I couldn't put it down! Thanks for telling us about it. I'm going to have my library order her other two books for me to read as well.

I'm also going to try a few of her recipes in the back of the book too!
Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  6:52:55 PM  Show Profile
What a good looking book! I love catchy titles, too. I will have to look for that one.

We could provide her with more titles for future books! Any ideas? :)

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Sep 09 2009 6:56:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2009 :  07:13:55 AM  Show Profile
Shirley Jean, her other two books are "Lye in Wait," which focuses on soap making. Her newest book is "Spin a Wicked Web". That one features spinning and their art.

My library didn't carry any of the books, but the Heritage Trail System they are in enabled them to order it for me. I hope you can find them. The mystery was very good and a little scary at times. The description of the preserves and the lead characters business really fun & interesting and no bad language in the book! I can't wait to get the other two.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

AuntieM
True Blue Farmgirl

151 Posts

Marjorie
Holly Springs NC
USA
151 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2009 :  10:07:40 AM  Show Profile
These sound wonderful. I've never read any of this series and am looking forward to finding them in the library (I hope)! Thanks for sharing.

Margie
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2009 :  09:36:53 AM  Show Profile
OK....Ladies...

I have an idea! I just ordered used copies of Lye in Wait and Spin a Wicked Web.... How about we share?

You can all email me with your addi and what book you'd like to read and I'll generate a list. Then I'll mail out the book you want to the first person on the list. Then...when you are done reading.... you mail to the next person on the list... Eventually, we should all be able to read all the books. At least, I hope it'll work out that way....

After you read, you could put your comments up here... NO SPOILERS of course!!!

What do you think?

If you would like to get a jump on her recipes and what-not...here is her website.
http://www.cricketmcrae.com/
Just click on "home crafting"
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Heaven Preserve Us! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page