Page: of 2

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2006 :  08:17:32 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I can't sleep!

I know a lot of it is related to stress - I'm going through a lot right now. Most nights anymore I just get up and get going on the day, or bake something, or work on a quiet project. I have been sprinkling lavender on my bedsheets - and that helped for a night or two.

Any ideas for me?

Tired in N. Georgia.

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2006 :  08:34:11 AM  Show Profile
Lynn -- have you tried valerian? Missy has problems sleeping (and so do I) and it really helps. Doesn't make you feel groggy just relaxed enough to drift off.

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2006 :  09:27:40 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Oh - DUH! I even have some! (must be the sleep deprivation talking when I can't even think of what's in my cabinet!). Thanks Kay!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2006 :  09:55:47 AM  Show Profile
Valerian..okay that is on my list of stuff to get now..I always have trouble getting to sleep. It is a pain in the butt!!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2006 :  10:33:47 AM  Show Profile
I cant get to sleep~~ and then when I do~~ I wake up and cant get back to sleep....What is valerian...? I have taken Tylenol PM and I dont think they work..
Jan
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2006 :  10:56:13 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
all I remember offhand is that the root part of valerian is used. I bought it as it seemed to help my muscles relax while I was going through back spasms, but I also remember it had a mild ability to help me sleep. Works stronger in some people than others.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2006 :  11:18:53 AM  Show Profile
Valerian is an herb although I don't know which part is used. All I know is that it works. I have taken Tylenol PM but that always makes me feel like I have a hangover in the AM. Plus I just won't want to take that kind of thing any more than I have to.

I used to get this stress complex stuff from an herbal company called Enrich. It was lots of B vitamins and just a little valerian. I would take it when I was feeling stressed and pretty soon I'd realize that I felt more calm. Not drugged or sleepy -- just calm and relaxed. Wish I could still get the stuff.

Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2006 :  11:37:04 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Valerian: (Valeriana officinalis) Fmily Valerianacea, cultivated only

Parts used: root and rhiozome (the root) harvested from fall to early spring and used fresh or dried.

Practical uses: Valerian is a sedative and also helps induce sleep. The herb can reduce stress, nervousness, and irritability.

Contraindications: Safe for occasional use. Valerian is not a reliable sedative for all individuals, as some people actually experience nervous excitation from using the herb. Headaches are an occasional side effect. Overdose can cause drowsiness the following day.

From Richo Cech's "Making Plant medicine"
Go to Top of Page

medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2006 :  12:02:17 PM  Show Profile
I have been diagnosed with chronic insombia, my brain waves get all jumpy and I can't sleep. My brain just goes in circles of everything going on, and on, and on. It seems to get better than worse until I get so wound tight I'm just grabbing stuff out of the medicine cabinet. Stupid move.
I haven't tried Valerian...it's on my list to buy. Most PM meds are just Diphendydramine...notice it's the same med you take for motion sickness and allergies. Tylenol PM worked for a couple of weeks for me then stopped. I've been on most perscription sleep aide out there and none of them work all the time for me. I liked Lunesta the best but now I even need more than I did after a month. Also I can't afford it so I'm off it.
Calcium worked great when I remembered to take enough. Also going on creams for hormone replacement helped.

If I'm stressed then nothing works. I'm more than willing to try the Valerian... anything right?
Go to Top of Page

mdotterer
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Marlene
Pleasant Hill CA
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2006 :  6:54:26 PM  Show Profile
Oy, what a topic! I haven't slept since 1997! I've tried all kinds of things and most things work for a a week or two and then stop working. Still, I guess it's all worth trying - everybody is different and there's no telling what will work for you. I've done everything suggested so far, plus a few others. Try magnesium. I take 500mg twice a day. It's been the most consistent thing I've done to help me sleep. Plus, it helps with depression - just relaxes you a bit and gives you a general feeling of well-being. At least, that's what they say. I just know that when I stop taking it, after a couple of days, I end up heartbroken and curled up, bawling my eyes out. So, I start taking it again. I heard about it through a couple of books on menopause. It's confusing, too, because you have to make sure you're taking enough calcium along with it (or at least daily) so that the two are in balance. But, I'm never sure if you're supposed to take the Ca and the Mg at the same time or at different times!

Another thing to try is melatonin. My doctor had me on Trazadone for a long time, but like everything else, it quit working eventually. I was taking four times the amount prescribed (with my doctor's permission), but I finally just gave up. Valerian worked for a while, too, but the jury's still out on that.

Anyway, for me, the Mg works the most consistently and that's still touch and go. I just hope it's okay to take 1000 mg every day for a long time! I'm always worried about side effects building up!
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2006 :  7:20:24 PM  Show Profile
I went to GNC store tonight and they had Valerian...But what are the side effects etc? I dont want to take anything that has alot of side effects..or makes me depressed~~ or feeling sluggish the next day~~
I just want some sleep !!
I cant remember my last good night sleep~~at least 5 years ago~~.
Jan
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2006 :  9:36:32 PM  Show Profile
Jan -- from personal experience I would have to say that Valerian is really safe to take. Of course, as with anything, if you take more than the recommended dosage you could have problems. I have 250 mg capsules and take one before bed. It doesn't put you to sleep but just makes you relaxed so you can fall asleep. I've never felt groggy the next day or felt like I had medicine head.

Isn't it sad that from the time we have children we lose sleep? You'd think once we got our kids raised we'd be able to get a good night's sleep and then menopause hits along with the insomnia and nightsweats. Yeah!

Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2006 :  07:53:15 AM  Show Profile
Amen Kay~~ IF I get to sleep...something always seems to wake me up..If it isnt night sweats...it is DH snoring..or I need to use the bathroom...etc....
I sleep with a fan running...365 days a year...but still wake up!
I guess your right...I forgot about the kids being young, and then teens, and getting in late...I wonder just how much sleep -good sleep -we really get in a lifetime~~~ ??
Thanks for the info~~
Jan
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2006 :  08:52:49 AM  Show Profile
Jan I hear ya about the fan. Mine runs every day of the year. And my daughter has to have one running too. I even pack a small one with me when I go on vacation. Can't sleep without the noise!

Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2006 :  11:46:03 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
The only side effects of valerian that I'm aware of are, for some people, bad dreams. There is another herb that can be taken in conjunction with valerian to counteract that - I'll look it up.
Go to Top of Page

Meg
Moderator/Farmgirl True

974 Posts

Meg
Idaho
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2006 :  4:44:22 PM  Show Profile
Another suggestion I've heard...put a pad of paper and pencil or small tape recorder on your night stand...so, as your mind races with wonderful ideas, lists of things to do, what you want to share with someone, you can write it all down or record it...then, hopefully, this will put your mind at ease and you can wish yourself sweet dreams and sleep away!

MaryJane's daughter,

Meg
megan@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2006 :  7:05:42 PM  Show Profile
I have heard that too and tried it and believe me it works. You don't have to worry if you will remember in the morning!!!

Mary

The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it. Wm. James
Go to Top of Page

medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2006 :  7:28:36 PM  Show Profile
I've heard that if you can't sleep don't stay in bed. Get up but don't watch tv or read...find something to do like laundry or dust. Something you dread. "They" say if you do this then your mind will naturally relax and not get caught in a rut. My mind must be hip deep in a rut!
Last night I couldn't sleep. Hubby was curled up next to me, I can't stand being touched when I sleep, the larger of the two dogs had taken up permanent residence up to my knees, the other one was attached to my butt (don't know why but there you go...) I got so mad at the three of them and I hate to wake anyone sleeping so I sat up in bed and read. I took two more sleeping pills... to go along with the one I had taken two hours earlier. I FINALLY fell asleep around 1:00ish...then I'm waken by two dogs at 4:00 when my hubby got up and left our bedroom door open... I'm not very nice when woken...this is the carnal rule in our house.
I marched out in the living room, said some unplesant things to my husband about HIS dogs, growled at HIS dogs, marched back to bedroom, closed door, and went to bed. I was asleep till 10:00.. I had overslept.
I'm going to try to go to bed now... Hubby is on his side of the bed, one dog is curled up to HIS butt, the other is only taking up minor realestate at my feet area. Things should be better tonight.

Sweet dreams y'all.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2006 :  8:24:58 PM  Show Profile
I've decided that I'm moving into my own bedroom or we're getting twin beds. At this stage of my life a good night's sleep is more important. Hubby has restless leg syndrome and moves his legs about every 20 seconds. Then the cat starts snoring or at 3 AM decides that she needs to go out for the 15th time that night. I've had enough!

Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2006 :  07:47:54 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Kay, I can relate to that!

My hubby snores. I poke him about three times a night to roll over and cease the racket. Our pit mix curls up nice and tight and shifts maybe three times in the night. The other dog (the 60 pound Shepherd mix, of course) recons the house a few times a night, turns 3 times before picking out exactly where she will lay, and if I pick my head up, she'll come belly-crawling (disturbing the other dog in the process, who growls her "I was asleep, you big oaf" growl) and want to cuddle. Now the cuddling is fine, I love my Cookie a lot (and she actually does seem to sleep a little more contentedly when stretched next to me like that, I sleep ok that way too), but this is a QUEEN size bed! Two big dogs and two people all in a row is a bit tight!

There are times... if we had a spare bedroom, I know that's where I would be most nights! It is in the plans as we remodel the house that the 2nd bedroom will BE a spare bedroom and not just an office. I'm hoping my business will be good enough in a few months that I can rent a little room in town for the office. Would be nice!
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2006 :  07:50:37 AM  Show Profile
Oh Cynthia....How funny~~~ or-not really...But I can certainly relate!!
I think I am going to try the Valerian...I am willing to try anything!
Jan
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2006 :  12:19:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
I have had all of these problems at one time or another.Here are my solutions: take 'em or leave 'em gals.....

1.DOG: I LOVED my dog, but dogs sleep 3/4 of the time, and can sleep anywhere, anytime. I can't.Can't sleep thru itching, back end licking, house patrol recon, etc. My dog finally got booted out and slept in the living room, which he liked just fine.

2.Snoring:Sleep with a fan on.The louder he snores, the higher (and louder) the fan goes up. He says it bothers him when it gets loud, and goes into the other room. Problem solved.

3.Restless legs: I have found if I massage his legs for him before we go to sleep, they are fine the rest of the night.

4.If you can't sleep,get up and leave the room, curl up in a real comfy chair or the couch and turn on infomercials on low. They will bore you right to sleep.

That's my 2 cents anyway.

Edited by - Fabulous Farm Femmes on Feb 12 2006 11:30:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2006 :  10:41:56 AM  Show Profile
Great advice Diane~~Makes you think about taking care of yourself so that you can get some sleep~~instead of everyone else that is disrupting you~~
Last night I moved the fan closer to my ear and put it on high....I was daring him to say it bothered him~~lol
Jan
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2006 :  3:11:45 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I would try the fan - but I can't sleep with noise - at all. The few times we were running the space heater in the bedroom, I thought it might help - instead I kept waking up thinking something was "wrong" because I hadn't heard normal night sounds. May seem odd but - I guess I keep track of what's going on even while I sleep. lol.

The dogs: I know. We had promised ourselves NOT to allow the dogs on the bed. Somehow... there they are. Stuie's place is curled up between us, and Cookie hogs the foot of the bed. Of either dog that should be booted - it's Cookie. I had meant to not let her up last night, but DH and Stuie stayed up late to watch King of the Hill or somesuch and Cookie came looking for me (she's my baby), stretched out alongside me and pushed her head and shoulders under my arm - I fell asleep pretty quick that way! Snuggling always puts me to sleep.
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2006 :  3:35:21 PM  Show Profile
All family members have personal fans, traveling ones, too. I'm so glad to know we're not odd....or maybe we all are!

The Valerian is popular. The Melatonin works for my husband.

Something for all us gals to consider is that we are so alike in our hobbies, lives, etc... that we may also be similar in personalities.....creative, goal setting, hard workers, etc... Anyway, just a thought...perhaps problems sleeping come from our tremendously smart and overworking brains!!

I battle with long runs of days of "manic" behavior. Won't share the details at this post, but, if you want to hear it, just ask. Anyway, when these manic days come I can go days without sleep and I accomplish a whole lot and am at the peak of my creativity. I have a great doctor that didn't want to get rid of my high performance days....he says they're beneficial and many great inventors, etc....were manic. But, the Doc says it's not safe to be without sleep. Just a little loss of sleep affects our brain response. So, when I feel these sleepless nights coming I take a medicine called Restoril. My Doc does the physicals for some of the NASA astronauts and this is the med they take even while in space. It does not make you feel drugged and forced to sleep, and it doesn't make you feel drugged the next day and is not on the habit forming list. He says the astronauts need to be able to sleep and they also need to be able to work and they could not take a sleep aid that would interfere with their work.

When hubby is snoring, the infomercials work for me, too!

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

pkallen
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Polly K.
Pierce Ne
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2006 :  9:34:59 PM  Show Profile
Sleep-----whats that? I have been diagnosed with breast cancer. Gone through that old Chemo thing. Now onto Radiation for 6 weeks. Medicine? So many names and side effects, but still sticking to the flow. I am on prescription sleep aid, but I think it is losing its power. Oh well, just keep fighting.
Polly

John Deere
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Insomina? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page