lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2006 :  6:21:18 PM  Show Profile
I'm not sure why I didn't notice this topic before now. I know I have been taking the Valerian for too long. I need to talk to the naturopath about something else I can do and maybe alternate. With the muscle pain and tension and restless legs at times from my fibromyalgia I would be awake all night and then the sleep deprivation would make the FM syptoms worse....it's kind of a viscous cycle. I figure the valerian is MUCH safer than some of the drugs I was put on by MD's and the ones they wanted me to take. I just can't spend my life feeling drugged out and wierd from those meds. At any rate the Valerian has worked better than anything and I wake up without feeling groggy. Once every 3-4mos. my symptoms will be so bad that I might have to take two valerian and then I do have a little harder time waking up, but it wears off quickly after I'm up and around. I was almost hospitalized for the sleep deprivation. Sorry to be so windy, just thought I would share my experience.

Blessings,

Missy

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
http://18happyhens.blogspot.com
http://LamargueriteFarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Frankenblonde
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Courtland CA
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2006 :  02:15:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Frankenblonde a Yahoo! Message
A full day's work, a hot bath, a good book, and some Sleepytime Extra tea with honey (Valerian makes it Extra) works well for me. It's a little harder to get to sleep if I'm feeling anxious, or if hubby's snoring and smacking his lips (weird, but he does). Lots of good info about sleep and how to acquire it ~ thanks!

“Always know in your heart that you are far bigger than anything that can happen to you.”
~ Dan Zadra, Chicken Soup for the Country Soul

Go to Top of Page

Frankenblonde
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Courtland CA
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2006 :  02:23:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Frankenblonde a Yahoo! Message
* You'll note that my last message was sent at 2:15 in the morning, so obviously I'm not following my own advice. D'oh! I'd better get my butt to bed!
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2006 :  08:02:53 AM  Show Profile
I have to agree on the valerian. That stuff is wonderful and really works. It's completely safe IF you take the recommended amount. Anything can be harmful if not taken as directed. I also drink chamomile tea right before bed and that helps as well. I alternate between tea one night then valerian the next if I'm having trouble several days in a row. Only rarely do I have to take valerian and the tea together. Give it a try though, it's inexpensive, works, all natural, you can't go wrong IMO!!!
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2006 :  11:03:52 AM  Show Profile
I think this may have been posted somewhere else. Greyghost, do a google search for Lucky the Lavender Dog. Even as a grown adult, I have slept with my Lucky for almost 2 years now. He is stuffed with lavender and flax. You can toss him in the microwave and drape him over yor eyes.

And, I have forever been a light sleeper and will constantly wake up. I tried earplugs, and have used them since well before 1990!
The yellow spongy kind allow just enough noise so you can hear a baby crying or young child in trouble (or dog throwing up at midnight)

Since this past Christmas, I switched to a waxy/cottony kind you can really cram and mold to your ear. These work a little too well, and thanks to hubby, have nearly slept through the alarm. So I use these and Lucky when I want to sleep in and hubby has to get up for work.

You will hear yourself breathe and your heartbeat at first, but give it time.

I also use a desk fan and have used an aquarium pump too when I had fish, in addition to the ear plugs.
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  12:45:38 PM  Show Profile
I have a question about Valerian...Does it matter where you get it? I went to CVS and almost bought some...but I also saw it at the health/vitamin store at the mall and there were some differences in the price $$. Where do you girls purchase it? And why the big difference it price?
Jan
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2006 :  12:14:24 AM  Show Profile
I knew that if I searched, I would find a topic on not sleeping. Aargh!! The past few weeks have been awful. I go to bed, fall asleep and then -BOING!!- I am wide awake 2 hours later. Then it is toss and turn all night. (It is 3:00 in the morning as I write this!)
So, I get up and putter about the house, read a book,do some Sudoku puzzles. Whatever pops into my head at the time. I am going out tomorrow to get some Valerian at the herb shop. I don't know why I didn't think of that myself. I have a feeling that this is all related to coming off of estrogen replacement,(trying to do things to help my body seems to be backfiring!), my dad's health, the job I have looming before me detailing the history of family things with Dad- what feels like a bajillion little items!- 2 callings at church and just being a mom!
Right now, I am off to finish redecorating my little house-in-the-wall. Teddie (theoanne) is coming to over Wednesday for lunch, and it is in a state of disarray! So, the rest of my house may be in a tip, but the little one will look great! It is the most fun I have "cleaning house" ever!
Thanks for letting me ramble on, and on, and.......

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2006 :  06:05:38 AM  Show Profile
I've had sleep issues since adulthood. Then, my husband couldn't stay asleep for more than a couple of hours for a few months, had severe pain, and after searching the internet, found he most likely had Fibromyalgia, and that elavil often helps. I also began to take it, and still do. It doesn't make me sleepy, but when I do go to sleep, I usually stay asleep for the night. I also use American Ginseng from time to time in order to relax. No animals are allowed in the bedroom, there's a "noise machine" on every night, and I wear the cylindrical shape white earplugs. You do get used to hearing your own heartbeat, and for me, it was helpful not to hear every noise in the house. Oh--DH was diagnosed with myofacial pain syndrome, not fibromyalgia--but sleeping plays a major role in healing and in conquering the pain.

Karin, hope your night tonight is a better one!

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  04:17:15 AM  Show Profile
Knewslady, Here is the thread that I was remembering. Hope it helps!

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time."
James Taylor

www.ragstoroses.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knewslady
True Blue Farmgirl

555 Posts

Kathy
Russellville KY
USA
555 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  05:59:18 AM  Show Profile