LoraFLeming
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Lora
Onalaska WI
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2009 :  3:30:56 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone out there ever grown the herb stevia If you have what part of the plant is used as a sweetener and how do you prepare it for fresh and/or storage/long term use If you'd prefer, you can email me direct @ pcheflora@charter.net Thanks

"When in doubt, just take the next small step. Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection." Author Unknown

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2009 :  5:06:08 PM  Show Profile
My neighbor and a gal at the farmer's market have grown it, this year is my first attempt at it. It's the leaves that taste sweet, that's what you harvest. No funny aftertaste, whether you're chewing on a fresh leaf just plucked from the plant or some dried stevia.

To keep/store it, just dry the leaves I believe. My herb lady was selling dried stevia, and it looks either shredded or something. Not sure if you'd need to break it up like that even for tea though - I'd think leaving the leaves whole would make it easier to not suck 'em down as you're drinking.

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4185 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4185 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2009 :  5:49:01 PM  Show Profile
I grew one plant last year. Then harvested the leaves just before frost. Then I dried them. I have kind of forgotten about them. But I am just not sure how to use it now. It was no problem growing.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

LoraFLeming
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Lora
Onalaska WI
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2009 :  6:12:55 PM  Show Profile
I've used stevia before but always purchased it in a liquid or powder form ...
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2009 :  6:37:16 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
I tried growing a Stevia plant but it died. Not sure what happened really. I am going to order a couple more plants this spring. You are supposed to pick the leaves before the plant blooms for them to have the most sweetness. I plucked a leaf to chew and had to spit it out it was so sweet. I bought a pound of dried leaves from mountain rose herbs (it came in a gallon size bag...huge!!) and just throw a pinch or two in when I brew tea. I buy small bottles of liquid to keep in my purse for when I'm at work or out and about. I absolutely love Stevia. Such a healthy alternative to sugar. :)

Blessings....
Sarah

www.mustangsuzie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Herbs/ Stevia Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page