country roads
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2009 :  09:35:03 AM  Show Profile
Hubby and I went to Tractor Supply yesterday. I very painstakingly (is that a real word?) picked out some vegetable seeds. I had sworn I wouldn't plant anymore green beans since thet never do very well for me. But I caved (as usual) and picked out a packet of Kentucky Wonder bush beans.I also chose Nantes coreless carrots, Early Wonder beets, Black Beauty eggplant, and Evergreen bunching green onions. Oh, I also found some garlic to plant in the fall, and hubby picked out some strawberry plants. This is bad news for our very spoiled chickens, they will no longer have free reign over the yard, except on days the lawn is mowed. I think all I have left to buy is seeds for butternut squash, sweet corn, and pumpkins. I'll need to get some started zucchini plants, then I will be set.:) YAY!! I'm considering having hubby till up one pass on the other side of the yard to plant some red potatoes. Well off to my garden diary!

Take care, Melissa.

Farmgirl # 352

~Think happy thoughts~

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2009 :  10:11:06 AM  Show Profile
Hi Melissa! I went to Rural King this weekend and picked out a bunch of seeds, too! Last summer when my garden was being overtaken by weeds I swore that next year I would only plant the stuff that we REALLY like and is easy to grow. But, I too, caved and got way more than I need. It just all looks so good I can't NOT grow them!
Go to Top of Page

country roads
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2009 :  10:42:53 AM  Show Profile
Oh Toni, I understand completely about getting way to much! I agree it is so hard to tell those little seed packets no, there's just no room for anymore! :)

Take care, Melissa.

Farmgirl # 352

~Think happy thoughts~
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2009 :  12:23:56 PM  Show Profile
There must be something in the air, I went to Home Depot on Saturday and bought my seeds, seed starter soil and starter trays. I can't wait to get something growing around here! Maybe then spring will finally show up to stay!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2009 :  6:56:25 PM  Show Profile
Oh heavens, if that's too much, well, then I'm a glutton for punishment. I have a big container full of seeds... Like the size of a double shoebox or so (what my homebirth birth kit was all contained in).

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2009 :  7:55:21 PM  Show Profile
My greenhouse is going with hundreds of plants...wish ya all lived near me, you could pick from my greenhouse plants....

Farmgirl Sister #368

BRAND NEW PAGE>>>>>
PLEASE go to....
http://blogonthefarmandgarden.blogspot.com

http://froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

country roads
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2009 :  10:19:12 PM  Show Profile
Terri, I wish I lived closer to you too, but I'd definately have to make a much bigger garden then!! :)

Take care, Melissa.

Farmgirl # 352

~Think happy thoughts~
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2009 :  03:59:45 AM  Show Profile
I haven't even opened up my box of seeds left from last year. I know I have a bunch of squash, okra, melons, and marigolds left in addition to all my new ones. Then last night I ordered my onion plants, potatoes, and sweet potatoes. Too many of those, too! Now to just figure out how to get it all done with my 2-year old and newborn at my side...

Terri, I wish I lived closer, too. I would love to come tour your greenhouse and see how you do it!
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2009 :  06:31:52 AM  Show Profile
I have ordered heirloom seeds from Seed Savers Exchange. Why can't you let the chickens roam the garden? Will they ruin it? Can you tell I am new at all this? I have no idea. I am hoping to get some chickens myself this year.

Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

country roads
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2009 :  09:01:45 AM  Show Profile
Ruth, my chickens eat my veggie plants, or dig them out of the ground to find bugs and worms. They eat the veggies. They dig holes to takes dust bathes in. In other words they are a pain in the rump! :) I love them to pieces, but they make a mess out of my garden.

Take care, Melissa.

Farmgirl # 352

~Think happy thoughts~
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2009 :  10:21:31 AM  Show Profile
Oh! my goodness~I didn't know that. I'm not even sure if I will be able to get chicks. Waiting to see if I can get a special ordinance because I live in the city. I only want a small backyard flock. It's such a pain.
Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Garden starters Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page