Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Family Matters
 toddler won't sleep through the night
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Family Matters: Previous Topic toddler won't sleep through the night Next Topic  

beccaroo
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Rebecca
Grand Prairie Texas
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2009 :  2:48:26 PM  Show Profile  Send beccaroo a Yahoo! Message
I just don't know what to do anymore. I have a 2 yr old that has never slept through the night. I have tried everything I can think of to get him to sleep, but several times in the middle of the night he wakes up and want to drink milk. He has bad skin, that makes him itch all the time, and I'm not sure if that is what wakes him up, or what. But he will not settle down and get back to sleep till he drinks milk, and get's lotion rubbed on him (and that sometimes doesn't work). I would love for him and me to be able to get a GOOD nights sleep.

beccaroo

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2009 :  2:59:59 PM  Show Profile
hey rebecca....have you ever tried the lavender lotions? They are very soothing, as well as a few drops of lavender essintial oil in a humidifier, I also have a 2 yo, and he didn't start sleeping through the night until 8 1/2 months old, because of digestion isuues....you may want to ask your pediatrician about chamomille and valerian, maybe you could get him to sleep better if you could get him to drink some tea with those two things in them....i also know that our health food store back in Oklahoma had several all natural "sleepy" time products for children, you could start there..
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2009 :  4:43:23 PM  Show Profile
My nephew had bad itchy skin and they found out he was allergic to ...MILK! I would suggest you discuss it with your doctor and would also suggest you don't give him milk during the night. Water should suffice!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

22shortie
True Blue Farmgirl

329 Posts

rebekah
sulphur la
USA
329 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2009 :  4:52:21 PM  Show Profile
I have a very difficult two and a half year old that has alwasy had sleep problems. Here are a few things I've done that work for me.
Bag Balm ( you can get it at any walgreens drug store for about 7$ in the skin care section) Rub it on dry skin after a bath and before bedtime. Helps keep the dry skin from itching all night.
Sew a small Lavender sachet ( two parts rice, on epart dried lavender) and heat it in the microwave for ten seconds then slip it into his pillowcase before bedtime ( works wonders for getting mine to sleep the whole night through)
Also, if he is a very high strung and hyper kiddo, a massage before bed is a good idea. It takes a little bit of time, say 15 or twenty minutes, but it helps calm them down and get them into a deeper more relaxed sleep.
Good luck! I have JUST now gotten mine to sleep in her own room and sleep until about 4:30 or 5am....It just takes alot of time and committment..

Fresh and creative projects popping up on my blog daily! Stop by and check out what I'm up to today!

http://pumpkinseed-unscripted.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

22shortie
True Blue Farmgirl

329 Posts

rebekah
sulphur la
USA
329 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2009 :  4:54:31 PM  Show Profile
I forgot to mention one thing...Mine had a habit of wanting milk when she would wake up also...I began to water her milk down little by little everynight, then I cut back the amount of milk/water i gave her altogether. The watered down milk isn't worth waking up for after a while and they ussually give it up after a couple weeks...

Fresh and creative projects popping up on my blog daily! Stop by and check out what I'm up to today!

http://pumpkinseed-unscripted.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

beccaroo
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Rebecca
Grand Prairie Texas
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2009 :  4:58:47 PM  Show Profile  Send beccaroo a Yahoo! Message
LOL...The watered milk is a good idea!! You guys all all great. Thanks for the good ideas. I will def start trying these all out. I'm ready for a nights sleep sometime in the future.

beccaroo
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2009 :  7:27:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Becca-

I will be making a new batch of lotion as soon as my new supplies arrive in the mail. Send me your address and I will send you a free sample of 3 ounces of my special Body Balm. It really helps with dry skin and is all natural. *hugs* I hope your kiddo starts sleeping through the night soon!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

Edited by - Alee on Mar 02 2009 04:46:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

KD Earthwork
True Blue Farmgirl

210 Posts

Katie
Gualala Calif.
USA
210 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2009 :  02:51:16 AM  Show Profile
When my daughter was reacting to cow's milk,we got fresh goats milk from a neighbor.Her kids were also allergic.Later this same neighbor told me to try non-homogenized milk.Something in this process makes milk harder to digest.
Also I've noticed a bath before bed helps with the itching too.
My youngest is almost three and I keep trying to get her in her own bed or even in with her sister,but my husband keeps putting her back in with us.Hard to resist really.I know this age will pass much too quickly and they will want to be on thier own.Mine are 20,13 and two+.
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2009 :  05:24:11 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Try a good old fashion oatmeal bath. Just put a bunch in an old sock or stocking, tie it up and let it float in the water. Keep squeezing out the sock in the water.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2009 :  08:47:13 AM  Show Profile
How about a humidifer to keep the air in his room moist might help with the itchies. And I too thing the milk is just a habit how about a spill proof water bottle in the bed with him. Is he in a big bed or still in a crib? My kiddos when they were ready to move up would wake up more often because they were to big for the bed and when moving while sleeping would bump the sides and wake up.

Good luck at some point it will quit only to have him be a teen and out past curfew.

Good Luck
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2009 :  10:31:55 AM  Show Profile
My little one had been waking up in the middle of the night....I've recently discovered he is having nightmares. I've stopped the milk [slowly] all together. I would decrease the amount I gave him to were he wouldn't 'think' that he needed it. And I now just lay there with him for a few moments [no more than 5 minutes] and he then is comfortable to were I can leave him. Hope all works out with your little one.

Jamie

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

Check out my blog!! http://bestcoupleintown.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

beccaroo
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Rebecca
Grand Prairie Texas
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2009 :  08:42:55 AM  Show Profile  Send beccaroo a Yahoo! Message
Thank you for all the great advice everyone!!
Ya'll are Great!!

beccaroo
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2009 :  08:46:54 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Hey Rebecca, where is Henderson???? : )

Heather

Go to Top of Page

beccaroo
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Rebecca
Grand Prairie Texas
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2009 :  6:54:25 PM  Show Profile  Send beccaroo a Yahoo! Message
Henderson is just south-west of Longview, and about an hour from Tyler. There is a town called Killgore right of I20 before the Longview exit, and we are just south of that town

beccaroo
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2009 :  04:56:48 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Hubby is from Tyler. I think we are probably about 3 hours apart. ((WAVING))

Heather

Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic toddler won't sleep through the night Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page