Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Wooden ironing boards
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Wooden ironing boards Next Topic  

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2004 :  09:15:51 AM  Show Profile
HELP!!!
I went to the second day of an estate sale yesterday where everything left was half price... I couldn't help myself, I purchased an old wooden ironing board for 5 bucks. I love it.. It has green iron work support bars and is a larger style than the wooden ironing board that I currently am using... so I have hopes of getting it into use soon. HOWEVER, after reading MJ's most recent article about ironing boards in the last issue of the magalog, I forgot to check for the asbestos around the metal hot plate.... and it does have it.

If I use protective gloves, is it safe for me to remove this 1/2 inch strip of asbestos by myself? Can I dispose of it in my regular trash, or does it need to go to a hazardous waste sight?

It's sitting out in my yard until I determine how to handle it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2004 :  7:24:46 PM  Show Profile
I wish I had a wooden ironing board! Anyway I think you could remove the asbestos as long as you use gloves and a face mask so you don't breath in any fibers. If you think have any doubts that the asbestos couldn't be removed without pulling apart, it would be safe to remove it. From what I've read about asbestos removal, you don't have to worry unless the piece would "break apart"; I'm not sure what the hot plate looks like...

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2004 :  10:41:02 PM  Show Profile
I love my wooden ironing board too. I hope you are able to get that asbestos off in one peice. I would think it would be safe if you can. Just be careful. I hope someone knows more about it than me. It sounds wonderful!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2004 :  1:07:08 PM  Show Profile
Here's a pic of the ironing board. I haven't decided what approach to take with this yet, or for what use, so I have it tucked away for now.... I figure by Spring, I'll know!!
Need to update the pic link.

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

Edited by - Clare on Sep 11 2005 06:34:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2004 :  1:25:46 PM  Show Profile
Clare,

I love the photo of your ironing board, and the hot plate is not that large or imposing on your overall piece. I have read that many times, if asbestos is present, the best thing to do is cover it solidly. Many homes with asbestos tiles cover them with a layer of good carpet. Maybe an ironing board cover, or padding of some sort. would take care of your asbestos problem, and your board would still be usable and lovely. I love the look and proportions of it.

jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2004 :  1:35:55 PM  Show Profile
You are sooo supportive, Jeannie... Thank you very much!
Clare

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2004 :  2:02:39 PM  Show Profile
Clare-Love that ironing board! I have and use my husband's grandmother's but for a plant table behind the sofa! As for the asbestos...the only time you are in danger is if the particulates become airborn and are inhaled. I say leave it alone and think about sealing the areas that are exposed with epoxy, hot glue something that would keep the material from breaking down and becoming a hazard. If you aren't going to iron on it you could even use wax to seal the area. Good luck...Bramble

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2004 :  4:30:07 PM  Show Profile
Clare ,Make sure that when you do remove it you do it outside and not in your house. Don't want any of the fibers floating around your house.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2004 :  6:15:54 PM  Show Profile
Clare, What a find your ironing board is! It looks substaintal and capable like folk art. I like that look. I do worry about the asbestos. Maybe you could contact your local health department on some guidelines for safe removal? I would definitly have it outside and wear a mask when removing the pad. That stuff is soooo toxic.

Time Flies
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  06:21:05 AM  Show Profile
Clare,
After my happy ironing board find yesterday, I came home and immediately ripped off the ugly muslin cover,dusty batting and pad underneath.It was really dirty so I did do it outside.
The top was in beautiful condition and I found the original red and white label "Rij-O-Matic" with some silly drawing of a domestic goddess ironing!These were sold exclusively by Sears and Roebuck.
Anyway, I came back to this old thread to ask a few questions and stumbled on your asbestos post!! I quickly looked through all my MJF back issues and couldn't find the article that you mentioned.
Which theme mag was it?
Mine does have the metal support bars but it doesn't have anything that looks like a hot plate.The top is solid piece of wood and the layers were (I think!)a thin horse hair- type pad, a thick layer of cotton batting, and the muslin cover.
Hope that thin pad wasn't anything other than what I thought but I yanked it off so fast and tucked it in a garbage bag that I am not 100% sure.
I am planning to repad,recover and iron on my "new" old ironing board and finally retire that UGLY, squeaky metal monster that was gifted to me 25 years ago when I set up housekeeping.Even though I enjoy ironing, I was never fond of it, even with a new spiffy cover now and then.Hmm, may be time for a fancy new iron that is smart enough to turn itself off when it's owner wanders off to do something else
Anyway, can you tell me which issue you were referring to, if you can remember?
Thanks a bunch.

"If more of us valued good food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world place."
J.J.R.Tolkien

Edited by - BlueEggBabe on Sep 11 2005 06:22:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  06:27:32 AM  Show Profile
Sorry BlueEggBabe, I cannot remember the issue. I think you are pretty safe in not having any asbestos if you do not have a metal hot plate embedded into the large end of the ironing board. The asbestos in mine is a small strip wrapped around the edge of this metal plate. I decided just to leave mine alone. I found a plain muslin cover that looks old fashioned but is not and I have used it to cover the whole board, so I'm not using the plate at all and it is all covered. I still love it!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  06:58:40 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Clare.
I think you are probably right.I'll look for the article some more.
BUT,I forgot to post the original question!
At the barn sale yesterday, I forgot to mention that I also got a wooden muslin-covered sleeve ironing board, too.
Were these attached to the bigger ironing board somehow?
Mine has a hole in the base, but wondering how they were used and kept from rolling over.
Anyone have a notion?

"If more of us valued good food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

pkochert
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

PHYLLIE
GOODING ID
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  1:46:38 PM  Show Profile
A few years ago I bought a wooden ironing board at a yard sale; it wasn't for sale, but I asked and the husband of the house said, "take it; it just takes up room in the basement." Now I use it for displaying my antique flatirons, a quilt or two, and various sewing notions that I collect.

Smell the weeds, too!
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Wooden ironing boards Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page