Elizabethq
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Elizabeth
Houston Tx
USA
29 Posts

Posted - May 15 2005 :  3:06:38 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone do red or bluework? I love all the old patterens. Currently I am working on a tea towels with a santa face.
Kindly,
Elizabeth

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - May 15 2005 :  5:33:38 PM  Show Profile
I love the look. The tea towels sound so cute!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - May 15 2005 :  6:59:34 PM  Show Profile
Hi Elizabethq! I love the old redwork and have collected some squares over time I hope to turn into a quilt. I also have patterns that came from Country Living years ago for pillow shams that I would like to get to. It was nice to see the article about Miss Wilma in the new MJF mag since she makes the redwork stuff MJ has for sale.
If you like old patterns and transfers try www.yesterdayscharm.com
I love all the old designs with the children playing and the toys.
There are too many to choose from but they are very reasonable. Nice to have you here, I'll look forward to hearing more from you!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 15 2005 :  7:42:30 PM  Show Profile
I do redwork from time to time, too, and love it. Bramble..I loved the website!! I recently did a series of baby faces with good night in other languages...4 on one side of a pillow..it was fun.

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - May 17 2005 :  05:52:41 AM  Show Profile
That sounds really cute Jenny! Where did you get the baby face designs? You are a busy bee! I found that site when looking for one someone else mentioned that wasn't there anymore! Did you check out the free designs? If you have fabric/photo transfer paper you can just
make your own transfers! Don't forget to reverse or block out the lettering so you can "right" it again! I loved those cupie days of the week, now to come up with a creative use for them! So little time...so many projects. I'm off to accomplish something today!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 17 2005 :  4:17:42 PM  Show Profile
I will have to look at the pattern and see where it was from. I had it around for a couple years before I finally got around to doing it...typical me!!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  3:06:03 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Bramble, I went on the website you listed and printed out the free Kewpie patterns. They're so cute. Does anyone have a good way of tracing a pattern from a printout to a towel? I've only used the Aunt Martha's iron on patterns. Thanks
Jan
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  3:23:31 PM  Show Profile
I love redwork but don't know how to do it. In fact, I don't know how to embroider. Is redwork just embroidery stitches only done in red floss? This is something on my list of things to learn.

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2005 :  3:53:22 PM  Show Profile
You're welcome Jan! Glad you liked it, I thought the site was fun too. As for the pattern, try some graphite paper, it's like carbon paper but less messy and you get the image you want, they sell it in packets where the dressmaking supplies are.
Kay -I have an old redwork pillow sham that is done in just backstitch and it looks great. It's very simple to do, your favorite might have an embroidery leaflet or look on line. Embroidery is just alot of fun and you don't have to be as exacting as counted cross stitch or hardanger emboidery (where you actually count the threads of the fabric you are stitching on). Give it a try, very relaxing!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2005 :  8:15:29 PM  Show Profile
I love redwork. I did a throw pillow years ago with a pretty floral design and "when this you see remember me." Only I didn't give it away to someone to remember me by, it's on my bed. I just discovered the Aunt Martha's transfers and have some fruit designs I'm going to put on dishtowels.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

http://ljrenterprises.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CarolC
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Carol
Santa Fe New Mexico
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  2:17:36 PM  Show Profile
I love the look of redwork, too, but have done very little. I, too, have some Country Living pillow sham directions/patterns stuffed away in my "projects to do" basket and a couple of books on redwork projects. And I was glad to see the article in the latest MRJ mag about the lady who does all that redwork...I love that primitive look. Reminds me of grandmother. She could juggle more projects at one time than a circus performer! Is there a specific brand or specific color of embroidery thread that any company puts out JUST for redwork...so I can know it's safe and won't run?

I shoulda turned left at Albuquerque..Bugs Bunny
Go to Top of Page

CelticCoyote
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Heather
Illinois
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  07:23:49 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I love love love redwork!! Blackwork & whitework are beautiful, too, though the patterns tend to be very different. Carol, I believe any DMC cotton floss would be perfectly safe, and won't run on you. You can choose whatever shade of red trips your trigger, or you can do like me, and use a lovely shade of cobalt blue or lemon yellow instead of red, so it'll match your kitchen (or whatever color your kitchen is). There are no rules here...it's for YOUR home, and YOUR happiness, so make what makes you happy.

Yanno, anyone can feel free to post links to favorite pattern websites, either free patterns or ones for sale! I've only got a couple in my favorites, but I loooove looking at new ideas!
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  09:12:28 AM  Show Profile
Just to be on the safe side I usually put my red and sometimes the darker colors through a cold water soak with a little vinegar just to set the color. Even though they say colorfast, the water is surprisingly pink when you let them sit, and I would hate to see a project ruined after the first time you wash it.
This type of work also used to be called "Turkey work" because the color thread was "turkey red".

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Redwork Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page