Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Nifty Thrifty
 Thrift store sheets and pillowcases
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Thrift store sheets and pillowcases Next Topic
Page: of 2

gr8tfulmom
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

Sarah
South Haven MI
143 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2009 :  05:42:46 AM  Show Profile
I love using sheets as yardage and accent. This is a little girls set boys set both of these are sheets fabric on the side of this bag (which is really a pair of khakis) is an old Ikea duvet cover and more sheets last one, lol - recycled sheet, duvet cover and a curtain - woo hooo for recycling and cutting down on waste!

Farmgirl sister #779

http://symbioticstitches.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13641 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13641 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2009 :  08:23:54 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
My husband and I are regulars at all of our local thrift stores!!!!
Amazing what one can find . . . and how little $$ you have to spend. If it weren't for hubby on the lookout for sewing machines at thrift stores I'd be in a pickle. I won't get into what he has found for me . . .but it's been amazing!!!
YAY . . . thrift stores!!
CJ

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Windsong
True Blue Farmgirl

309 Posts

LaVonna
Decatur Tx
309 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2009 :  09:03:26 AM  Show Profile
My aunt used to be a garage sale queen. Both at buying at garrage sales and at turning the purchases around to money. She lived in Houston and you could only have a sale 2 times a year. So she and some neighbors got together and sales every few months. One thing she did was shopped garage sales for old fake fur coats and old throw pillows. She could get each for almost nothing in cost. She covered the old pillows with the fake fur. At her sale she would have a play pen full of pillows and she sold them for quit a bit more than she had in them.

In a few days I will post a topic about my aunt and her garage sales. She had some great ideas. This year she is having her garage sales in Heaven so it would be a good way to remember her and it might help some of the farmgirls needing money making ideas.
LaVonna

Farmgirl Sister #758
www.windsongwellnessandtherapyshoppe.com
http://sadiesfarm.blogspot.com/
http://healthtalkcafe.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

cowgirlandboys
True Blue Farmgirl

308 Posts

Rachael
Missouri
USA
308 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2009 :  8:55:21 PM  Show Profile
Did someone post how to make an apron from a pillowcase? I would be super interested in that!

Happy Trails!

Rachael
Farmgirl Sister #535
Go to Top of Page

thecatspyjamas
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Denise
Scottsboro AL
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  2:03:01 PM  Show Profile
Hey--I'm new here and enjoying all these topics about reusing stuff! I love old sheets too, so soft when they're "broken in". I use them as sheets when I can and have reused them to make pillow cases for some big pillows I have on my bed. Someone mentioned old pillows--here's what I did with an old pillow (made it into a cat bed):
http://thecatspyjamas.typepad.com/my_weblog/2009/01/a-new-bed-for-rusty.html

I didn't use an old sheet, but that would be a good idea too!

Denise
www.thecatspyjamas.typepad.com

artist, designer, cat rescuer, farm girl
Go to Top of Page

mclintoc
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Amy
Augusta Ks
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  12:52:48 PM  Show Profile
You girls are teasing me. I went straight in to sew an apron out of one of my sheets and my machine is acting up. It sews for an inch or two then just thread then sews then just thread. That's the way I roll most of the time, great ideas then a road bump.
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2010 :  06:18:52 AM  Show Profile
I've been thinking of ways to brighten up our bedroom for spring. I have a few sheets that I know right where they are going now. A new redo for $0.00 thanks for all the great ideas
Go to Top of Page

Ms. Hannigan
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Shari
Middle TN
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  5:26:34 PM  Show Profile
When I had my first apartment, I used sheets combined with safety pins & thumbtacks to make the prettiest "balloon" curtains. Another covered my ugly couch as a slip cover, one over a trashcan made my side table. At other times I've used them for tablecloths, and even as some informal room dividers when my hubby and I first lived in the attic of a house we shared with 4 other people. You can even sew a duvet cover from 2 flat sheets one size up from your comforter. Cheapest yardage you'll ever find.

...some women are drippin' with diamonds... some women are drippin' with pearls... look at me, lucky me, the only thing I'm drippin' with is... little girls...
blog: http://www.lifegetsmessy.com
Go to Top of Page

Pamela Joy
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Pamela
Hesperus CO
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  1:34:33 PM  Show Profile
yes, I have made two or three duvet/comforter covers with old flannel top sheets. They are awesome - so soft and pretty. I am not great at sewing, but I can do a respectable straight line, so this is always a perfect project for me. And I love to make rag rugs.

Peace, Love, and Joy
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  6:14:59 PM  Show Profile
I love Goodwill. I just bought some older, heavy hosp.pillowcases in white, of course, for the bed at $2.00 a pair. I bought all 3 pair they had. Then I found a brand new, heavy cotton with a little poly, twin sheet that I'm going to make a peasant half slip out of. I hate those cheapy nylon slips in the stores. I tell mom to keep her eyes open for decent sheets so we can both make slips, every time we go to Goodwill.

Sister-chick# 905
Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  6:29:19 PM  Show Profile
Amy -- when my machine acts up, I find that changing the needle works wonders. Also, be sure you are threading correctly -- I sometimes forget which way to put the thread through the needle -- left to right or right to left? -- and when I get out the threading guide and do it correctly, bingo! no more problems.

www.youaretoocreative.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2010 :  4:12:10 PM  Show Profile
Well, if you guys have any linen sheet's you'd like to sell, let me know! I've been hounding my local Goodwill with no luck!

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  08:58:18 AM  Show Profile
Oh and I just remembered another idea,
a recycled sheet could be used to upholster a bed headboard...much cheaper then buying fabric...
I usualy buy any sheets that I can find w/a roses print...I stash them till I find a re-purpose for them...and with my Aljo trailer, "Gracie's Victorian Rose" I don't think I'll have a problem finding a use for the rose print sheets that I have collected so far! lol!
Ok, gotta run, firemama will be here in a few minutes & we are off on a mini Road Trip! wahooo!

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
"I've never met a sewing machine I didn't like!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Nigella
True Blue Farmgirl

386 Posts

Nigella
Chimacum WA
USA
386 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  11:30:47 AM  Show Profile
I collect the old cotton sheets from the local second-hand stores. I have two nice ones that are mostly white with soft flowers printed just here and there. I wanted to save them for something special but I wasn't sure what. Then I came across a pattern for an adorable longish skirt (hits lower calf) and a blouse (one of those loose, breezy, summery ones), and thought if they could do it on Sound of Music, why can't I?!? So I started the skirt last night. I think they're going to be great for summer!
I adore the old cotton embroidered pillowcases too, I've scored lots of nice ones. They're the only pillowcases we use!

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
~Thomas Edison~
Go to Top of Page

Nigella
True Blue Farmgirl

386 Posts

Nigella
Chimacum WA
USA
386 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  11:32:18 AM  Show Profile
Oooo Judy making slips out of them is a groovy idea! I was thinkin' I may need to buy one to go under my homemade skirt. I never thought of makin' one! :D

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
~Thomas Edison~
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Thrift store sheets and pillowcases Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page