Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Nifty Thrifty
 Thrift store sheets and pillowcases
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Thrift store sheets and pillowcases Next Topic
Page: of 2

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  07:18:25 AM  Show Profile
Oh the uses for thriftstore and garage sale sheets and pillow cases!!!! I can make an apron with pockets (half apron) out of a pillow case! i can also make a cute dress for my 3 YO daughter out of 1 standard size pillow case!! Sheets? Oh my......reusable shopping bags, aprons, dresses, curtains, table cloths, skirts, pillow covers, the list goes on...and throw pillows...my goodness...they are so expensive at the store as are pillow forms!!! and I just love making little throw pillows!!! So I buy them at thrift stores (handpick the best ones based on fluffiness, not outside apearance)and then just make my own new covers for them!! This is such a money saving area for all of those little pretty Extras you want to make.....As far as the table cloths go...i have somewhat become obsessed with having pretty little table cloths on all of my tables, just like my grandmothers used to do.....and sheets are such a great way to make them.....you can doll them up with hand ebroidery and lace all you want!!! So thrifty!!

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  10:09:40 AM  Show Profile
Same here, totally love old sheets from garage sales/goodwill for dresses for the little girls, bags, aprons, etc etc. Usually pay less than a dollar for a full size sheet--figure out the cost of that yardage!
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  10:18:38 AM  Show Profile
I am on the look out for sheets to do a rag rug.
But I have to admit I don't know how to make the rug yet but saw in a book that it can be done.
I love to use sheet for curtains too and have a stock pile on hand for summer tents for the grand babies.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  10:19:16 AM  Show Profile
The last time I bought a sheet at a garage sale, I used it for, guess what? A sheet. LOL it was a real pretty print top sheet. I then bought a new bottom fitted that went with it (my matress is the real deep one). Makes the prettist set I have.
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  10:22:29 AM  Show Profile
I use old sheets to cover the "beds" in the garden. If I don't cover newly planted seeds, the cat thinks it is a new potty. After the seedlings are up, the cat don't bother the bed. Then I hang the sheet on the cloths line and let the wind and rain clean it up.
Go to Top of Page

milkmaid
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Higginsville Missouri
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  10:22:50 AM  Show Profile
Oh I have a obsession with old sheets the ones that are REAL cotton... Ohhh they make me happy they are so soft and can be used for so many things and the patterns are cute to boot. I get them at our local thrift for .50 no matter what size, I buy them, wash them and stash them away to use later. I have been lucky with the stashing and have even over time gotten whole sets! I love to put them on our bed it makes me feel like I am at my grandmothers.

http://goodfarm.blogspot.com/

Mother to five awesome kids, wife of 17 years and milk maid to two beautiful cows. Living the good life!!!
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  10:56:57 AM  Show Profile
Heather...you crack me up....you sound alot like me!!!
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  12:40:47 PM  Show Profile
I have 2 or 3 sets of sheets from my grandparents! They are like new, I have a comforter, so don't use sheets. I have always been afraid to cut them up, sentimental me. WHAT can i do with those real oldies?? And good ideas? I know I can do pillows etc. But I am still afraid to cut them up, lol. But guess i better use them one way or another, now they are just in a box duh!!

OH same with my old baby sheets, My mom saved 2 of the old ones she used for my crib, so sweet! What can I do with those, they are quite fragile! ( I am old, lol)

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)

Edited by - dutchy on Feb 26 2009 12:41:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  2:15:56 PM  Show Profile
Marian, I would make table cloths with them, that way you're keeping a large prtion of it uncut!!!
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  2:30:52 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, that would be real nice! I will try that later. I have so many swap things to make first, lol. But will keep this in mind, thanks Kelley!!

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

milkmaid
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Higginsville Missouri
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2009 :  1:44:24 PM  Show Profile
Marian,
what about some summer sheers for your windows.. you can get these cool clips that slide on a rod so you don't have to cut the sheet at all...
Heather

http://goodfarm.blogspot.com/

Mother to five awesome kids, wife of 17 years and milk maid to two beautiful cows. Living the good life!!!
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2009 :  6:22:18 PM  Show Profile
It sounds like you've found a modern version of the feed sacks that the women in the 30's would use to make everything from! Grand idea!

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

ashcordes
True Blue Farmgirl

197 Posts

Ashley
Roann IN
USA
197 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  6:41:24 PM  Show Profile
I use mine under the baby's highchair to catch crumbs and spills and a quick run through the washer and a hang on the line and they usually don't stain so I'd still be able to use them for something else down the road....
Go to Top of Page

misspittypat
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

lila
osceola mo
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  7:05:23 PM  Show Profile
I love old sheets too! I just purchased 2 flat twin sheets with roses on them at a thrift for $2.00 and two pillowcases for .50 cents. I made them into curtains for my sewing room. They are so nice and comfy!

Lila
Go to Top of Page

gramax18
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Elinor
meeker Colorado
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  9:47:58 PM  Show Profile
Hi, I got 2 new (in the package)king size sheets at a yard sale and used them to make a bedspread. They only cost $5.00.
I made my girls dresses out of flour sacks in the '50 and '60's.
Have fun with all of that fabric.

Elinor
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2009 :  8:04:35 PM  Show Profile
I LOVE thrift store sheets and pillow cases, I use them for about all, everyone else does, also, I make alot of my Garden aprons, good aprons and my dresses out of them...cheap and they last forever(well, maybe not forever,....LOL!)

Farmgirl Sister #368

BRAND NEW PAGE>>>>>
PLEASE go to....
http://blogonthefarmandgarden.blogspot.com

http://froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2009 :  08:27:58 AM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
We use to have renters in our house when I grew up and mom had cotton sheets for all the beds. How I remember mangeling them! She finally gave them to me recently. They are at least 45 years old and as soft as a lamb. I wish I could use them on my bed but they are too small. I just love the feel of them, so soft and heavy. I have no idea what the thread count would be but it must be up there. Certainly not like the standard sheets one can buy now. At least the regular priced ones. I mean who wants to pay $100 for sheets? lol

Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/http://www.kpaints.etsy.com FG #377
Go to Top of Page

Peg Graham
True Blue Farmgirl

281 Posts

Peg
Chesapeake Virginia
USA
281 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2009 :  9:15:00 PM  Show Profile
I love to buy thrift store pillow cases....I found some Shabby Chic vintage looking ones to add to my already Shabby Chic store bought sheets for our master bed.

I have several sheet sets because somehow, we always need them (we wash our sheets often).

My kids love sheets to build forts and for picnics.

My husband has used older, worn out sheets for drop cloths, lining the back of the van before hauling things, and for covering furniture when moving.

Pillowcases make fun and fabulous market bags too:

http://grantandnicole.blogspot.com/2009/02/pillowcase-bag-sort-of-tutorial.html

miles of smiles~
Peg

http://thelavenderfairy.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Peg Graham on Aug 28 2009 9:16:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2009 :  06:01:40 AM  Show Profile
Sheets, especially vintage top sheets, make the best lounge pants! You cannot beat the bargain price for that much fabric and they are easy-peasy to put together. :)

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

aunt boby
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

toby
polo illinois
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2009 :  07:24:24 AM  Show Profile
Love your logic Kelley!! I too am thrift and garage sale junkie. I had made curtains for my living room and had a bunch of fabric left. I went to Goodwill and got a bunch of different sized throw pillows for 99cents each and covered them with the leftover fabric. Everyone comments on how great they look.

POOR IS THE MAN WHO CANNOT ENJOY THE SIMPLE THINGS IN LIFE- anonymous
Go to Top of Page

ruenietwoshoes
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Patricia
Thornton West Virginia
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2009 :  10:36:29 AM  Show Profile  Send ruenietwoshoes an AOL message  Click to see ruenietwoshoes's MSN Messenger address  Send ruenietwoshoes a Yahoo! Message
So many great ideas! Amazing!

<3 Patricia
sister.daughter.lover.knitter.best friend.quilter.hand stitcher.a cook.a soon-to-be-nurse.animal lover.mountaineer.facebook junkie.and a new blogger.and a lover of God!

I'm only 21! :)

http://sweetsugarstitches.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

AmethystRose
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Rosemary
Huntingdon PA
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2009 :  4:52:32 PM  Show Profile
I found a printed Ralph Lauren flat sheet at Goodwill for three dollars and made a long sleeveless housedress which I live in.
About thirty years ago I saw a gathered tiered floral skirt in a department store for the huge price of twenty two dollars. In the linens department I found a queen sized flat sheet in the exact same print for eight dollars and made a princess cut sundress and short sleeved jacket.

I'll look at anything for a large amount of good fabric.
Go to Top of Page

sewsweet
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Carol

Canada
172 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2009 :  07:50:49 AM  Show Profile
I thought this was a great idea for re-using old sheets.

http://duckyhouse.typepad.com/files/Don%27t%20get%20out%20of%20bed%20pants.pdf

Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2009 :  05:14:54 AM  Show Profile
oooo, I just love old sheets!!!
A few years ago, I bought all the plain, white heavy 100% cotton sheets I could find at garage sales, thrifts, and even on Ebay! I remembered them from my grandparents hotel when I was little! I would use them on our guest beds and everyone loved them.
Some of them are now starting to get holey and stained, so I have been using them for quilt backings on quilts I keep here. I am about to tea dye one and make a slip cover for an old chair that I have.
I just bought(at a rummage sale) a queen sized sheet with ducks on it, to use as a quilt back for quilts for my two grandsons!
I love the idea of using them for curtains- have to try that too!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

hotmamaj
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

janice
buckeye az
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2009 :  5:10:06 PM  Show Profile
I have gone to the Thrift store and gotten a bakers dozen to cover the trees when we had a cold snap last year, they come in handy now for covering the sofa my two dogs love laying on,of course they are full of dirt when they do.
I have an idea to make either bloomers or a skirt with one or two of the prettier ones, just waiting for my daughter to set up her sewing room. I really like the idea too of the apron. I am now useing one I recieved for a gift all the time now, considering I am a messy cook. it is the best gift and I remember my friend when I use it.. =-)
I also love the older sheets, I am reminded of vacations at my grandmothers home and sleeping on the rollaway bed.
Even during the hottest part of the summer I still have to have a sheet covering me... it's like the hand of comfort
Janice

Welcome the dawn of everyday with a smile & open heart
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2009 :  8:32:51 PM  Show Profile
and lets not forget....crochet rag rugs that Rebekkah got us hooked on....
tote/market bags, and aprons...
I have been buying sweet lace/ruffled edged pillow cases to use as sweater bags as well as purse bags(to store a good purse in)...
and, for under a couple of dollars a sheet makes a great quilting back...
there are probablly 101 or more ideas for re-purposed sheets & pillow cases.
Oh & by the by, there is a book out there for "Pillow Case Crafting" which includes little girls sun dresses and even a small dog pillow/bed.
Like I said, there are "sew" many great ideas......

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
"I've never met a sewing machine I didn't like!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Thrift store sheets and pillowcases Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page