Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Make It Easy
 Want to learn woodworking! HELP!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Make It Easy: Previous Topic Want to learn woodworking! HELP! Next Topic  

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  10:04:04 AM  Show Profile
All my life I have wanted to learn woodworking but there is no one around here to teach me so how do you learn it? Are there books? Online classes? Has anyone done this or taught themselves? I am determined and I have some tools and have done little things but I am afraid of some of the bigger power tools that my Dad left me like circular saw, nail gun, table saw....etc. If I knew how to use them I might not be so afraid of them but like the big chain saw....I could hurt myself and I live alone so I don't want to be a scaredy cat but then again I can't afford to sever any limbs either!
I know MJ worked in construction...is that the only way to learn? I'll Google too but thought I would bring it up here because I know how talented you gals are! Thanks for any info/advice!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

www.farmgirlsam.blogspot.com

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  1:08:40 PM  Show Profile
I'm bumping this hoping I get a response today????

Farmgirl Sister #226

Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  1:50:54 PM  Show Profile
Try your local high school and the junior colleges in your area.
I would also put an add in the paper asking if any body would be interested in teaching you.
Is there a cabinet shop anywhere close they might also teach you.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  2:55:26 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Diana, that's a great idea! I don't think they have classes around here but I will check and I know for sure there's a cabinet maker because I had him retrofit a cabinet for a dishwasher and he's very good and a very nice man. I think I will call him and ask him. He was very talented so I'm sure I could learn a lot if he would be willing and I could be flexible around his schedule! You've got me going now! I'll let you know how it goes.....are you a "woodworker" Diana? Would you believe, my Dad was a carpenter and a darn good one but would not teach me because I was a "girl". I could have had my own construction company....instead when he retired the company dissolved and by then I was in my own career but I could have learned a lot from him. He has since passed but I am now hoping he is looking down and giving me a hand every time I try to "fix" something! LOL!
Thanks Diana!

Farmgirl Sister #226

Go to Top of Page

Duchess
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Iowa
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  4:17:43 PM  Show Profile
Sam, I know that there are tons of books out there. You may also want to watch this old house with Norm Abrams. He is very good and explains each step, also what to do or not to do with each tool. As in every thing, practice makes perfect. Another thought, check the websites for the various tools and see if they have tutorials.
Hope this helps some. Norm also has detailed plans for the different items he builds.

My Grandfather always showed me how to use all the different tools so I have some working knowlege. I think the noise is the most scary part. Good Luck

http://theclarkhomestead.blogspot.com/

http://Duchess56051.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  5:10:45 PM  Show Profile
I would love to do more I started with 2x4 outdoor furniture. I found a couple books at the Lib. I really want to get into finish work at some time and the cabinet maker is the guy I am going to learn from. Just get some tool that you can handle. The dh has saws and such but they were just to big found some that I feel comfortable with and have a good time. Just remember even smaller ones can take off a finger. There is also a web site about girls who can fix anything I have looked but I haven't found it yet, I will keep you posted.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  5:12:38 PM  Show Profile
The site is ASK JANE is will show how to do any type of home repair> I would love to say here is the site but don't kno how to get it here.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  6:51:26 PM  Show Profile
Oh...you gals are SO awesome...thank you so much! I will keep you up to date and hopefully before long I will have something to show for it or at least report back! I'll Google Ask Jane and keep "googling" until I get all the info I need! You've all given me something else I needed....confidence to move forward! Thanks again!

Farmgirl Sister #226

Go to Top of Page

Duchess
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Iowa
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  7:06:29 PM  Show Profile
I googled Ask Jane and here is the web site http://www.bejane.com/bj_askjane

Go to Top of Page

Duchess
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Iowa
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  7:12:06 PM  Show Profile
Ok, I googled learning how to do woodworking and this site seems to be pretty good. http://www.woodworking.com/article_archive.cfm?section=1&article=468
Hope that helps some. I know there are magazines out with all kinds of projects. One I want to try is making some out door furniture.

Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  7:32:41 PM  Show Profile
ok so how do you get the link.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2009 :  06:09:36 AM  Show Profile
Diana, if you are connected to the internet while reading this post (as opposed to offline in your email) you can just click on it above and it should take you right there, it did me. I logged on last night to the Be Jane site and already have picked up some tips. I guess I am learning there is a difference between woodworking and construction/home improvement? I want to have the skills to do construction I guess on my house. Like build bookcases, raised garden beds, redo my kitchen/bathroom etc. From what I can tell woodworking is more about building fine furniture and although I would love to learn that too it would have to come after I have my house fixed up. So.....I am learning! But both sites are excellent and maybe if I save my pennies I could attend one of those schools they mention for woodworking! Plus, they talk about woodworking guilds/chapters maybe locally. I'll have to find out about that and about local classes. But if that doesn't work out I will call that cabinet maker and see if he will tutor me. I am so excited because I have SO MANY projects on hold and I can't afford to hire someone so this is great! I've had my bathroom torn up for months now because I tried stripping the wallpaper and they had never sealed the drywall and it took a layer of that with it and I am sure the whole house is that way. Well....last night on Be Jane I learned how you can seal it, as is, and paint over the wallpaper! You almost have to when they didn't seal the drywall first so see, I already learned something and people kept telling me I HAD to get the wallpaper off but it was destroying the drywall....now I can move forward on that project!
I'm off and running to the hardware store to get my supplies! I also need to get those raised beds built for the garden this year....Whoa Nellie....I am going to be busy now! No more excuses! LOL! Maybe we could use this post to tell each other what we're "building" or working on? That would be motivating and inspiring too....to know there are other women like me that are doing this stuff. I know they're out there but the women I hang around with leave that to their husbands and of course the guys don't want to talk to me about it....down here especially, it seems like it is a real "guy thing".

Farmgirl Sister #226

Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2009 :  06:17:28 AM  Show Profile
Why not see if there are any of your dad's retired friends, workers, or other retirees in your town who could show you how to use the tools? You might also hire a laid off or retired remodeler as well. I like to check out the DIY network website for many things too. Good Luck.

Tina

You can tell your dog all of your secrets and they'll never say a word!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2009 :  11:00:51 AM  Show Profile
My parents retired here.....his construction company was in Chicago....I'm 60 so most of my parents friends are long gone! LOL! But thanks for the tips! I've looked at DIY before but I've found a lot of "instruction books/sites" pretty much assume you already know how to do a lot of the stuff or know how to use the tools. I think I am going to call the cabinet maker I know because not only was he knowledgable but patient and didn't want to "do it for me" as many just want you to step aside and let them do it. I am "hand on"....that's how I learn best.....watching someone else just doesn't do it for me. Thanks Tina...you guys have all given me such great advice...I know I can do it now! And if I don't then shame on me!

Farmgirl Sister #226

Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic Want to learn woodworking! HELP! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page