Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  3:14:19 PM  Show Profile
WHEW!! What a job! and it is just a little place about 40'X40'. Either that tiller is getting harder to handle or I am getting too old to do this stuff. Fortunately, I do most of my veggies in raised beds. Some are 2X12 boards in 4'X4' boxes then a large portion of my raised beds are cement blocks. BUT then there is that area that is still just garden. I am geting it worked up and going to put in Raspberries, black berries and blue berries.

Anyway, going to try to till the whole thing again tomorrow. Then on Thurs it is supposed to rain. I have an appt with the chiropractor in the morning, boy does he have his work cut out for him. My back is killing me, not to mention my "replaced" hip. Time to hit the asprin bottle. Or maybe a glass of wine?

Spring is just around the corner, lets get to work!

Janneane Hazlip
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Janneane
Fort Scott Kansas
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  5:02:22 PM  Show Profile
You go girl, good job!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  5:22:58 PM  Show Profile
Good for you! But it is hard for me to imagine anyone being able to do that in February! We still have snow here & the ground is still frozen!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  05:28:05 AM  Show Profile
WHAT!!??? How did you find a dry spot? I am so ready to till mine, too. But it looks like it may be a few more weeks. I talked to the guy last night who plows mine and he said we'd have to turn it first. I told him I've had 4 pigs on it all winter, then 2 cows and now 6 goats. He just shook his head and said he hoped he could do it. So we'll turn it over first then come back in a few weeks and plow it. I have got to plant taters and onoins as soon as I can.

But I am happy for you that you were able to till your. You do all that yourself, too? I do. You be careful out there and don't overdo it. But have fun.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

PennyG
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Penny
Ontario
Canada
8 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  05:47:48 AM  Show Profile
Thats great that you have been able to get out and work in the garden, we still have too much snow here...but soon~~!

Gardening is Great Therapy~!
Go to Top of Page

justpassnthru
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

North Carolina
11 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  11:01:34 AM  Show Profile
Bellepepper, I tilled my "new" garden last week. I don't own a tiller so I got on my hands and knees! I cut so many large roots, I hope the Bradford Pear does not fall down! lol
I just had 3 rows 2 feet wide by 10 feet long. So it was not too bad, although I would have loved to have seen a chiropractor the next day. : ) So, glad its done--I can start preparing my sandy soil to grow some awesome veggies.
Now, if the pesky little seeds would just sprout!
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  12:49:47 PM  Show Profile
Wow Belle! My husband and I are still in the talking stages of doing it. hehe I'm getting excited because it's getting near that time. We will begin to do some of our 'starts' inside soon.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/

An Angel says, 'Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.'
Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  2:11:53 PM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
I'm one of the jealous girls who still has at least 2 more months of winter. We're getting snow today and expecting 3 to 4 inches. Just after most of the snow melted. Only makes me drool for spring. The glass of wine, Belle, will do the job just fine. Then again, a cup of hot cocoa would work for me.

farmgirl #486
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  4:18:28 PM  Show Profile
You are one lucky girl Belle... Like Gail, we have frozen earth here for another month at least... Groaning here....

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise',
I wash my mouth out with chocolate.
Go to Top of Page

Sagewood
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

South Carolina
106 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  4:49:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Sagewood a Yahoo! Message
Congrats on getting the tilling done! Hubby tilled ours a few weeks back, and last weekend we got three of our 8 boxes ready. It's supposed to rain here this weekend, so no garden work this week, maybe next.

Sage,
The Hedgewife
Are you a Hedgewife?
http://hedgewife.blogspot.com/
Visit Sagewood Blog
http://sagewoodfarm.blogspot.com/
Visit the Shoppe
http://primsistershoppe.com/Vendors/sites/SagewoodFarms/index.php

Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2009 :  09:32:55 AM  Show Profile
I got the garden tilled again yesterday. It was almost 80 degrees. This morning it was 20. It was supposed to rain but the forcast keeps moving it. We are supposed to have 3 days of cold weather then back to the 60s and 70s. I also got a 'box' of green onions planted. I covered it with a bed sheet to keep the chickens and cat out. I also have parsley and 5 different kinds of hot peppers started here in the house.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2009 :  09:40:51 AM  Show Profile
Well, it looks like no gardening here for at least a few more weeks. It's been raining all night and still is. We could even get snow by Sunday. UUHHHGGGG!!! I am so ready for warm weather. I have had enough of this cold wet stuff. We now have a pond again. I had to move my goats back to the back pasture. It's a bit higher back there, so a little dryer. The barn is a little dryer, too. So more waiting here.

I am glad someone's able to be gardening. So there is hope for the rest of us. It will get dry one day.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

country roads
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2009 :  09:59:27 AM  Show Profile
It rained last night and came down really hard this morning, but at least it melted the last of the snow in the garden. Our yard is always so wet it'll be May before we can till again. Hubby is going to plow up the side field for sweet corn. Now if we can keep the bear, deer, coons, and turkeys out of it we just might get an ear or two :)

Take care, Melissa.

Farmgirl # 352

~Think happy thoughts~
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2009 :  09:09:15 AM  Show Profile
Melissa, we are planting a "field" of corn also. My son has plowed, disk and tilled a patch in the corner of his pasture. He is going to electric fence it. We are going to plant country gentleman varity. What we don't harvest, (assuming the coons don't beat us to it) he is going to feed it to his cows. That is when I'll wish I had bought a couple of little pigs.
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2009 :  10:46:33 AM  Show Profile
I would if it would just stop raining long enough for the ground to dry up. BTW...does anyone know where I can get some 1-2 in pots to transplant my seedlings in??
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2009 :  12:15:00 PM  Show Profile
you can always make 'em out of newspaper!

Belle, way to go on the tilling. :D

I am getting a few things planted this weekend and finally getting my indoor seeds started

~~~Amanda in OK~~~

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Got the garden tilled!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page