campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  12:59:07 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone ever crocheted their own kitchen scrubbie out of tulle or netting? I was just wondering if it was easy and how to do it. My SIL gave me a couple for Christmas and I just love them!

Erin

Farmgirl #190
www.concrete-and-grace.blogspot.com

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  4:54:48 PM  Show Profile
My friend Kate (Katiedid here) knits little rectangles from a strip of tulle netting and a strand of cotton yarn (like peaches and cream) held together. They are wonderful!!! She does just a simple garter stitch and I don't see why you couldn't do the same crocheted!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  04:01:14 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I use to make them all the time,,,just crochet in circles(of course ataaching to evey row), adding 2 in one stitch every so often, so it will lay flat.
The netting is really tough on fingers, I use to make the strips about 2 inches wide or maybe a little narrower....as for the hook,,can't seem to remember, maybe someone else can....

Farmgirl Sister #368

BRAND NEW PAGE>>>>>
PLEASE go to....
http://blogonthefarmandgarden.blogspot.com

http://froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  07:51:49 AM  Show Profile
I was taking the train to Minnesota a year or so ago and I was watching a woman in the lounge car whipping these things up like crazy. We got to talking and she said they were so easy. Well I don't crochet but was willing to learn: ) I was in our local fabric/yarn shop and was talking to someone in there who does crochet and her commen was oh, don't, they tear your hands to shreds. It's worth the price to buy them at craft sales! JoAnn Oh I do buy them at craft sales
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  08:41:31 AM  Show Profile
I've done lots of them and haven't had mmuch issue with it being hard on my hands. I suppose it would depend on how stiff of netting you use. They do whip up really fast!

Farmgirl #208

What are you doing with your dash?
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  2:04:02 PM  Show Profile
There are alot of patterns online, check crochetpatterncentral.com. I made one, said I'd never make another it hurt the hands!
Go to Top of Page

Farmers Daughter
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

DiAnn

90 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  9:45:29 PM  Show Profile
I love the crocheted scrubbies, they are the best. I like single thickness instead of the double. At the last craft fair they had them for 1.00 each and I got 6. For that price I didn't even want to try and make any. Have heard that they are hard on your hand when working with that netting.
My Aunt even uses them on their motor home. She says it really help scrub off the grime.
Go to Top of Page

glendagoldenbp
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

glenda
cleburne tx
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2009 :  7:25:02 PM  Show Profile
I am very interested in this topic. My farm grandmother used to make them when her eyes had become so bad she almost couldn't see. She had crocheted almost all her life and she said the tulle allowed her to make the scrubbies by feel. I have two of the last ones she ever made and treasure them. Thanks Suzanne for the pattern site, I'll look that up and see if I can make them. If not I may try Terri's suggestion and make it up as I go.

LOL

Sunrises are wonderous things, nobody should ever miss one.
Go to Top of Page

Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Anne
Wisconsin
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2009 :  08:28:52 AM  Show Profile
I recently learned how to make these.
They are the BEST scrubbies I have ever used. I had purchased some and couldn't find them again, so since I do some crocheting I figured it out.
The ones I make are from netting, in different colors they are round and work up pretty easily, my fingers can occasionaly get rubbed from the netting but then I take a day off.
I have quite a few done.
Love these scrubbies, use them in the house and in the barn. We raise miniature horses and they help clean up everything!
We have started selling them just because so many people want them, let me know if you are interested at $1.00 ea, plus shipping, they won't cost much to ship, and I will send you a picture of them if anyone is interested.
email havencroft@havencroftminis.com

Anne

Edited by - Haven on Mar 08 2009 08:33:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2009 :  12:56:17 PM  Show Profile
Anne, I am so interested in purchasing some. I would like to learn how to crochet them, but I already have too many irons in the fire! You can email me at kegerih@mac.com.

Erin

Farmgirl #190
www.concrete-and-grace.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Anne
Wisconsin
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2009 :  2:41:03 PM  Show Profile
email sent!

"Bless the beasts and the children, for in this world they have no voice, they have no choice...."

website havencroft@havencroftminis.com
Go to Top of Page

Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Anne
Wisconsin
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2009 :  8:17:21 PM  Show Profile
Thank you guys, I will have a few scrubbies in the mail to you soon!

"Bless the beasts and the children, for in this world they have no voice, they have no choice...."

Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2009 :  9:27:21 PM  Show Profile
I love making these scrubbies! They are rough on the hands while doing them, but after you've done them for awhile, it's kind of neat to touch your hair or yarn and it feels so unbelievably soft! Okay, so I'm easily entertained! Here is a link for the ones I make: http://mandiknits.com/patterns/. I use the nylon netting with the big holes in it.

http://plumcreekmama.blogspot.com/

http://plumcreekcreations.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Anne
Wisconsin
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  9:22:46 PM  Show Profile
I put the scrubbies on the Marketplace board and I hope all of you who are receiving them in the mail LOVE them and use them hard and well.
Thank you so much
Anne

Go to Top of Page

urban farm girl
True Blue Farmgirl

80 Posts

Melissa
Posen IL
USA
80 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2009 :  7:37:00 PM  Show Profile
i just knitted some scrubbies for the first time and used them....wow...out of this world..love em.
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  3:43:14 PM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
we have some that seem to be made just out of yarn and works great. I think it's a heavyish thickish yarn. It's sturdy:)

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."

http://liggybitsandpieces.blogspot.com/
http://ligonierliving.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  4:05:38 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
cool...what a good idea!

Linda
in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2009 :  06:38:15 AM  Show Profile
These are the best scrubbies and not hard to make. I don't have a problem with the netting hurting, but it can be sort of hard to pull through when working double=thick netting; that sort of cramps up my fingers... They are the best thing for cleaning cast iron.
Sharon

Farmgirl Sister #74

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Anne
Wisconsin
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2009 :  06:42:45 AM  Show Profile
I really do love these scrubbies, I have made quite a few and enjoy making them. They are so much better than the ones I have found at the store and my fingers stay busy in the evening when it's time to sit for a bit.
I have quite a supply built up now though 13 will ship out soon.
Thanks to all of you who have asked about buying them.

Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  10:37:51 PM  Show Profile
I ordered some from someone on here, they aren't even 2 inches around, and I LOVE them! But, cannont seem to remember who that was.........

Farmgirl Sister #368
"It is most common for man to value most what has least worth."
My Farm and Garden blog....
http://blogonthefarmandgarden.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Anne
Wisconsin
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  05:31:48 AM  Show Profile
5 Acre Farmgirl
we did a barter, some scrubbies for some seeds, perhaps you are trying to remember me?
It's almost warm enough here to plant those seeds and we are more than ready to get started and watch them grow.
Anne

Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  07:01:22 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if someone wanted to share a pattern either crochet or knit..or both?
I would make my own up probably square with cotton thread and the scratchy netting. I like something handmade that I can throw in the washer.
Any pattern ideas? I knit and crochet so I'll probably try both.

Linda
in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
Go to Top of Page

glendagoldenbp
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

glenda
cleburne tx
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  6:26:04 PM  Show Profile
Linda, I would like in on that pattern too if you don't mind.

Sunrises are wonderous things, nobody should ever miss one.
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Crocheted Kitchen scrubbie Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page