MissWhit
True Blue Farmgirl

142 Posts

Whitney
Maine
USA
142 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  11:01:44 AM  Show Profile
I am trying to decide on a different type of dog food for my pups. I have two adult labs, one 2 and one 3. *Adult only in age, not in personality* :) Anyway, we are currently feeding them Pet Promise, because it contains no animal by-products as many pet foods do. But it's pretty pricey, and I don't think we can even buy it in the new town we are moving to this weekend. Are there any "good" dog foods out there? I hear Eagle Pack is wonderful, but pretty pricey, and again, I don't think we can get that here...

"The ordinary arts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest." Thomas More

Farmgirl Sister #154

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  10:15:36 AM  Show Profile
We have to 5 year old yellow labs (not mature in personality either) that have allergies to wheat and corn and who knows what else so we feed them Natural Balance Sweet potato and Duck, we also supplement this with veggies, blueberries, bananas and apples. The added veggies and such enable us to cut down on the amount of kibbles and they love it.
Go to Top of Page

MissWhit
True Blue Farmgirl

142 Posts

Whitney
Maine
USA
142 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2009 :  06:28:54 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Kathy...I've dabbled with the idea of making their food if I can. Not sure what the best resource is for how to do this, with the amount of energy my 2 girls have, I would need to get their nutritional needs JUST RIGHT for them to be happy I think. We are SO bad about table scraps, but we eat healthy so maybe it's not so bad. Natural Balance, I'll have to check it out...THANKS!

"The ordinary arts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest." Thomas More

Farmgirl Sister #154
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2009 :  2:22:52 PM  Show Profile
Hi,

Natural Balance is a very good food but I can't find it around here so I feed Chicken Soup for the dog food soul. It has no corn or by products and is reasonable in price. The dogs really like it too.

Tina

You can tell your dog all of your secrets and they'll never say a word!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2009 :  09:28:14 AM  Show Profile
Perhaps you have a Petsmart w/in reasonable driving distance?

I buy non mainstream and kind of expensive dog food, but I have noticed how Petsmart has started carrying more "wholistic" foods these days.

Prices are ok, but my pets are worth it anyway.
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  07:04:40 AM  Show Profile
My local feed store carries science diet. I dont have to use as much to feed them and they dont poop everywhere either, like some brands make them do.

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  08:22:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love the Dick Van Pattens Natural Balance dog foods. They seem pricey at first, but while my dog LOVED the food, she seemed to eat less. Like she was actually digesting more of the food and wasn't hungry all the time.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Dog Food? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page