milkmaid
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Higginsville Missouri
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2009 :  7:47:41 PM  Show Profile
Our 3 year old ram killed one of my chickens tonight while we were milking.. He ran over and stomped on the poor little thing. He has always been around chickens. I am not sure why he went after this one. She has lived in the milk barn for a year now so she is always around. I think that I even have a photo of her on his back from last summer. It was so odd..

http://goodfarm.blogspot.com/

Mother to five awesome kids, wife of 17 years and milk maid to two beautiful cows. Living the good life!!!

ponypower
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Lily
Caspar Ca
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2009 :  9:43:35 PM  Show Profile
Darn it, I am so sorry. I was thinking of putting my duck in with my sheep, but now I am thinking twice. That is so sad.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  11:19:50 AM  Show Profile
Rams are such unpredictable creatures. I am so sorry that happened. But I am glad he didn't attack you or your kids like mine did once. That's all it took for me to get rid of him that day. I just thought if he got out or one of the grandkids got in, he'd kill them. So off he went asap. So be very careful around him from now on if you are going to keep him. He could become very dangerous.

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  12:04:16 PM  Show Profile
Arn't rams stinkers? I have had even really sweet ones suddenly go bad. One that I sold because I was afraid (for my life!!) when I had to go in his pen ended up killing a ewe (slammed her against a fence post)at the farm he went to. I felt terrible!! I try real hard not to keep intact male animals at all on our little farmette. Every time I do I am sorry. I do need to get a new ram (or not breed my ewes AGAIN) this year, but I won't keep him long. They seem to get worse as they get older in my experience. The more money you pay for them the meaner they get it seems..haha.
I hope yours doesn't take out his meaness on anything else!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  7:27:58 PM  Show Profile
What breed of sheep is he? Did you raise him from "Lambhood?" All but two of my 9 rams were born and raised here. (Yes, you read right! I have NINE!! 3 Jacobs, 6 Babydolls. Long story....) They are all fairly gentle, but I still wouldn't trust a single one of them!

Does your ram have a companion? If not, that could be part of the problem. Rams like to have a buddy to "Spar" with. Maybe he was bored and/or feeling a bit crabby. Sorry about your hen. Hope this was just a one time thing. BE CAREFUL!!! ~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

milkmaid
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Higginsville Missouri
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  8:17:00 PM  Show Profile
We have katahdin sheep. He has been here since he was two days old. He is usually only a pain during breeding season and lambing maybe he needs someone to play with. He does play with the LGD and I have even seen him try to play with the cows!! I just hate to have a weather here though, I feel that all of the animals here have to produce something useful.. we have to be able to eat or milk them to stay here. Feed is too expensive to just have a pet. I'll have to think about a way that he can have a playmate..

http://goodfarm.blogspot.com/

Mother to five awesome kids, wife of 17 years and milk maid to two beautiful cows. Living the good life!!!
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  11:24:03 AM  Show Profile
I am so sorry Heather for that horrible event - Rams can be more then a handful but it is not limited to just the male of the species. I had a female llama who smashed and then trambled a llama cria (baby) of her sisters - right in front of me. There was not reason for it. I grab that female by the head and almost snapped her neck, luckly my oldest son grabbed me and I let go. After that I placed her into a pasture by herself. I could never trust her nor would I ever let her be a problem to someone else. It is a mystery what might cause an animal to snap but watch out for yourself and children.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  1:43:19 PM  Show Profile
Have you thought about a second ram? You could benefit by having another breeding line. My rams like to spar, so they focus on eachother more than they do anything else-- except when it's "Breeding time" of course!

Another alternative is to not keep a ram at all as a PERMANANT barnyard resident -- maybe "Rent" one during breeding season, then send him back home when the job is done. Some people are very satisfied with that alternative. Just a thought.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Bad Ram!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page