lara916
True Blue Farmgirl

170 Posts

Lara
Washington State
USA
170 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  2:42:16 PM  Show Profile
Anyone here keep rabbits and do redworms? If so I would love to hear about your setup!! Thanks and take care

Lara #327

"Boots" Becker Homestead Farmgirls

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  6:38:33 PM  Show Profile
Hi Lara, I have had rabbits in the past but don't at the moment. Have thought about getting some from the Humane society jsut for the manure but haven't gotten around to it. But, I do have a worm bin that I really like. It's a "Can O Worms" and I got it off the internet, I forget the name of the company but i could look it up if you want. They were really helpful and I was happy with them. I have had them for a few years and they really do eat a lot of our garbage! The best part is the castings and the worm tea that you get from them. I grow organically and that is the only fertilizer that I use and it's free!

There is a book out there that is worth reading called "Worms Eat My Garbage". I got it wrom the library so you shouldn't have to buy it. I don't know what else you might need to know about it so just ask. I'm getting pretty good at it now that I've had them awhile.
Go to Top of Page

lara916
True Blue Farmgirl

170 Posts

Lara
Washington State
USA
170 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  6:51:51 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing Cindy! I am actually thinking of situating the worm bins underneath the rabbit hutch. I wonder if anyone here has done this? It seems like it would work great.

Lara #327

Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  6:33:57 PM  Show Profile
Hmmmm.......I don't know why that wouldn't work. Maybe it would be too high in nitrogen for the worms? Just wondering why you would want to process the rabbit manure that way?
Go to Top of Page

Buffalomary
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Mary
Caldwell ID
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  10:16:17 PM  Show Profile
I haven't attempted this yet, but I do remember there being an article in an old Mother Earth News magazine. I found this online: http://www.motherearthnews.com/Nature-Community/1972-05-01/Grow-It-Earthworms.aspx?page=2 It's from the May/June 1972 issue. Have fun!

Buffalomary
Farmgirl Sister #293

You can take the farmer's daughter off the farm but you can't take the farm out of the farmer's daughter!!

Please visit me at my blog: http://buffalomaryscorner.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lara916
True Blue Farmgirl

170 Posts

Lara
Washington State
USA
170 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2009 :  1:29:55 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Buffalomary

I haven't attempted this yet, but I do remember there being an article in an old Mother Earth News magazine. I found this online: http://www.motherearthnews.com/Nature-Community/1972-05-01/Grow-It-Earthworms.aspx?page=2 It's from the May/June 1972 issue. Have fun!

Buffalomary
Farmgirl Sister #293

You can take the farmer's daughter off the farm but you can't take the farm out of the farmer's daughter!!

Please visit me at my blog: http://buffalomaryscorner.blogspot.com

That's exactly what I was thinking, thank you so much for posting this!

Lara #327

Go to Top of Page

farmmom22
True Blue Farmgirl

616 Posts

Tammy
Scottsville KY
USA
616 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  2:13:12 PM  Show Profile
I can't remember where I read the article, but there is a farm that does this to process the rabbit manure. Try googling it and see what you come up with. They just put their worm bins under the rabbit cages. We've had rabbits for many years and they make great pets. We've only had one doe that got a little mean in all the years we've dealt with them. Good luck!

Best farm wishes
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Rabbits and Vermiculture Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page