LisaLu
True Blue Farmgirl

126 Posts

Lisa
Wildomar Ca
USA
126 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2008 :  5:13:25 PM  Show Profile
Ok, it's been about a month now and I still don't have any eggs, what am I doing wrong? My hens are about 5 months old now, when do they start producing?
Also, I have 4 younger chicks, they just got their feathers, I'm not sure how old they are, they are the size of a soccer ball, when can I let them run with the older hens? I have a 200sq ft coop, and 10 big hens, and 4 little guys. The youngsters are in a cage in the coop, they seem a little cramped...any suggestions???
They are getting very spoiled, fresh watermelon and spinach every morning....should I just leave them be?
Help!

Happiness is homemade...

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2008 :  8:04:47 PM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
Hi Lisa, I'm by far not a chicken expert but you may find some answers under my questions!!! Look under Barnyard Buddies/Rebellious Chickens. There's alot of great knowledgeable gals out there that have helped me out alot! I'm going to keep an eye on your question and maybe between both of us we can learn a bunch more!!! This is my first year with chickens and somehow I've wound up with 21 I think was my last count! I swear everytime I turn around I have something hatching!!

Take care,
Melissa
Farmgirl Sister #360

Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2008 :  07:04:08 AM  Show Profile
Lisa-most chickens start laying around 18-22 weeks old. So any time I would say. I am wondering if they are getting enough light? Hens must have at least 14 hours of light to produce eggs. We have a timer attached to the light in the henhouse that automaticly turns the light on in the evening and turns it off around 9pm.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

FannyMay
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Tara
Rosston Arkansas
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2008 :  6:14:38 PM  Show Profile
We have close to 100 hens. My kids get a new batch of 4-H chicks every year. We have learned quiet a bit from their projects. The one thing for sure is they have to have enough light to produce. We also have lights run to our hen house and one thing you need to make sure of is that they never, never run out of water or feed. Make sure of those three things, feed, water, light and you should be getting lots of eggs soon. Just last week the kids sold close to 40 dozen eggs. Make sure they are also getting a good quality feed. Just some chops or a few greens is not enough nutrition to make eggs. They may make some once in a while, but they won't produce like they ought to. Good luck!

There is no other life for me, but farm life.
Go to Top of Page

homesteaderbelle
True Blue Farmgirl

391 Posts

Belle

USA
391 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2008 :  12:40:15 AM  Show Profile  Click to see homesteaderbelle's MSN Messenger address
It could be because they do not have enough daylight with it being winter. Give them a light a few hours before daylight and a few hours after daylight.

Belle

http://www.homesteaderbelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

debaccuardi
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Debby
Welches Oregon
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2008 :  7:40:37 PM  Show Profile
We couldn't understand why 3 birds weren't starting to lay. We (meaning my husband) installed electricity into the coop and put a timer on for 14 hr. Within a day we had more eggs. Two days later all those 3 were laying even though we were down to 17 degrees at the time.

http://debaccuardi.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

hipmamato4
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

danielle
wernersville pa
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2008 :  5:16:01 PM  Show Profile
When we first started with laying hens we didn't get eggs consistently. It wasn't until I stopped feeding them most of the other foods I was feeding them ( a variety of scraps frutis, vegies, grains, etc along with chicken food) and got them on a good quality laying feed. i still have one that doesn't lay but she may be older, someone gave her to us so I don't know of her age.

Homebirthing, home-schooling mama to 4 awesome kids, living an idyllic country life in Pennsylvania
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2008 :  6:40:36 PM  Show Profile
even here in Florida at this time of year..our hens have "gone on strike" ...hens need 12 hours of sunlight to be able to want to lay an egg.When warmer/sunnier weather rolls around your gals will most likely be giving you an egg every 23 hrs.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at: www.stliving.net
and at:www.thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and at:http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com

Edited by - Tina Michelle on Dec 25 2008 6:41:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

velvetcadi7
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Amy
Galva IL
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2009 :  07:12:53 AM  Show Profile
It may also depend on the breed. I have a mixed batch of 9 hens and the breeds that lay the green eggs have all but stopped laying with the cold weather we have been having. I have also heard that even if they turn 18 - 22 weeks in the winter, they may not start laying until spring anyway.
Go to Top of Page

rhondacate
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Rhonda
Janesville CA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2009 :  09:12:26 AM  Show Profile
My hens didn't start laying until they were about 6 months old or older. But until yesterday, they have still been laying quite consistently without any extra light. ?

~Rhonda

http://rmfo-blogs.com/rhonda
Go to Top of Page

LindaEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

275 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
275 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2009 :  09:41:35 AM  Show Profile
In the Hen Den the girls have no light other then a little window with southern exposure and they can go outside but the yard faces the North with some east exposure. Other then that its all the light they get in the winter. I raise the Barred Plymouth Rock breed. Raised form day old June 6th, 08', 100 straight run. Butchered out the roos with still a handful to butcher, freezer got full : ). Any way theres about 50 + hens , we get 20+ eggs a day. Look out when spring hits cuz that will be almost 50 eggs a day. I feed good feed and have a bucket of oyster shell for them as well. And fresh water a must. Free range them when we can stay outside to watch. I had my share of running around the garden chasing a fox with my best/only rooster in its mouth a few years back.

They get the grit from the soil scratchin' around so if you have your chickens all cooped up for the winter try that oyster shell or some good old soil , bits of fine gravel in their quarters will help build that egg shell.

I think the chicken tractors would be great to have , move it around to the warm sunshine in the winter, cool shade in the summer, let em pick the goodies from the ground plus their dropping help the soil. That would be a perfect setup

Linda
Farmgirl Sister #343

Locust Trail Homestead
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/walkabout/
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2009 :  01:06:01 AM  Show Profile
My chicks usually start laying at 6 months old. Light is a factor so I give them light in the winter or they quit. Water is very important - let them go dry and it messes them up. Patience is a virtue - don't worry, they will lay pretty soon. Oyster shell is a good idea as it makes the shells hard and less likely to crack. If they get a taste for eggs, look out as they will eat them. Best to gather several times a day to prevent this.
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  4:58:54 PM  Show Profile
We have had layers for years, up to 100 at a time....
all of the above could be a help, or maybe each hen is like a women, they "start" when their bodies say "start"...(grin)

Farmgirl Sister #368

http:/froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
http://thecontentedwoman.blogspot.com

Edited by - 5 acre Farmgirl on Jan 09 2009 4:59:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

MotherLodeBeth
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Beth
Calaveras County California
USA
110 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2009 :  12:20:19 AM  Show Profile  Send MotherLodeBeth an AOL message
Some breeds start laying at four months and other not until well after six months.

~MotherLodebeth- I was born in the wrong era~
Go to Top of Page

DJSmiles
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Darlene
Kalispell Montana
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2009 :  5:32:28 PM  Show Profile
I think the other farmgirls are right Add some light and your pullets should become hens any day!

About the pullets who just got their feathers, I would say they are too young to be introduced with the rest of the flock. You could give it a trial while watching very close, but those big girls can be very mean! Is there any way that you could make a seperate area in the run for the new kids?

I introduced my pullets to my hens last year at 10 weeks old out of sheer necessity. There were some loud complaints from the big girls, some chasing etc, but all in all it went well and didn't take them long to acclimate to eachother. I am assuming that where you have them now, the big girls are able to "visit" with them and get used to them?

Darlene
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic laying hens Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page