Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic "The Birds" Next Topic  

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2006 :  06:20:01 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I was washing dishes this morning and looked up out my window and my neighbor's yards were covered in BIRDS!

Might not be so uncommon for you northern folks... but this is new to me!

farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2006 :  09:13:16 AM  Show Profile
Wow! that is amazing!
Farmgirl Blessings,
Theresa
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2006 :  09:35:40 AM  Show Profile
Wow!! I love to see things like that makes you wonder what was up with them...like which one said.."hey guys..lets go hang out in THAT yard" or whatever...neat!!
We have a tree in between our driveway and the house next door that seems to get big old bunches of birds in it in spring and they will all fly away like a cloud...I love to just hear them ...they are straight out from my kitchen window.
Thanks for posting the pictures..I love to see pictures!~

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2006 :  10:17:36 AM  Show Profile
Wow! It's kind of creepy, but kind of fascinating all at the same time. Up here, we get hoard of magpies that congregate together, but nothing like that! What kind of bird are those? It's hard to tell from the pics.

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2006 :  10:39:01 AM  Show Profile
wow thats a lot of birds!! I wonder what drew them all there??

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2006 :  10:48:18 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I think they are starlings - they're a large number of black birds, anyway. There were more in the big oak tree to the right of the photos - but they all took off before I could go to another window for a better vantage point.

Sorry the pictures are a bit fuzzy - my hands were very warm from the hot water, so when I held the camera by the window - the warmth fogged the window!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2006 :  12:43:32 PM  Show Profile
I will bet that your neighbor has grubs in their lawn and the starlings came for a free meal. We used to get birds in our yard but not that many at one time. That's a lot of birds!

Gratitude turns what we have into enough.
http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2006 :  5:26:49 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
My friend down the road said they are blackbirds, and please keep them on my side of the street! He also said if they come into my yard, to run out there and chase them off ASAP. He says they eat all kinds of berries and you never know WHAT you'll find growing in your yard after they leave.

I bet my dogs would have a grand time making a flock that size fly off!
Go to Top of Page

CountryGirl85
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Laura
Oswego IL
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2006 :  8:49:37 PM  Show Profile  Send CountryGirl85 an AOL message  Send CountryGirl85 a Yahoo! Message
Haha, probably the same kind of bird that planted the large mulberry tree in my backyard!
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2006 :  11:27:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Looks like starlings have invaded! They are non native species that is taking over the U.S. Bad news for the local birds.

Did you think they were remaking that creepy movie somewhere near???
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2006 :  05:24:42 AM  Show Profile
Cool pic. It was very reminiscent (sp?) of the movie. We get robins in our yard in a similar way.

I live 1 1/2 hours away from Gulf coast town High Island, TX which is a funnel for over 300 species of birds. We're semi-big birders (bird watchers) and visit there often. My Uncle J.P., 75 years young, has been a fisherman there his whole life. He often has experiences with swarms of birds. While out on the Gulf, he'll see a big cloud of something and then it descends upon him and his boat. The birds land on him and stay a while and then take off again. We've been told by experts that my uncle is the first solid thing they see when coming back to High Island after their winter migration and take a rest before going on. He sees them as a nuisance. If only knew how much birders would pay for that experience. They are probably birds that hit the top of the list for sights. He doesn't care. It could be a bird that's rarely seen and he wouldn't even know it.

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2006 :  07:26:04 AM  Show Profile
Lynn .. what a wonderous site .. they have visited me too .. i've noticed the last few days .. huge flocks of birds flying by .. harbingers of spring? NOT the proverbial EARLY birds heading south?

lovely! thanks so much for sharing! and don't you LOVE the chatter they make! xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2006 :  05:28:26 AM  Show Profile
When we lived in Texas, San Antonio. We built a small pond with a small waterfall. The migratory birds came in large groups, the prettiest was a group of cedar waxwings. How beautiful they were, about 10-12, all splashing in the waterfall.
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2006 :  08:42:21 AM  Show Profile
Great picture! I thought I saw Alfred Hitchcock in the corner!
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic "The Birds" Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page