Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 You Know You're A Farmgirl When...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic You Know You're A Farmgirl When... Next Topic
Page: of 4

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  11:53:11 AM  Show Profile
... you're with city friends and come across the smell of manure. They're all saying "Eeewwww!!!" and wrinklin' their noses and you're thinkin' and sayin'"Smells like nature; what's the big deal?"

or You're not fazed and know what to do with thirty pounds of fresh tomatoes.

How do you know you're a farmgirl? ... Anybody else?

Edited by - Susie Q on Aug 26 2005 11:54:56 AM

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  11:55:39 AM  Show Profile
Or you can name the animal the manure smell comes from!!!

Or a city person says something about the noise from the corn dryer and you look at your husband and say "Jim's drying corn already?!"

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  12:15:11 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
When you'd rather spend an evening sewing a new shirt than going shopping with some friends.

When you feel the strength within yourself to do what you know needs to be done, no matter how difficult it may seem.

When the thought of killing a chicken for dinner doesn't bother you so much anymore. DH still can't even think about it.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  1:21:13 PM  Show Profile
When your favorite place to shop is the farm or feed store or Tractor Supply, and you always jump on the winter coveralls specials and eye the newest line of muck boots with a giddy schoolgirl's giggle. Chick days send you into orbit!

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  1:26:59 PM  Show Profile
When you're driving down a country road, spy an old tractor or pickup for sale, and slam on the brakes!

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  2:23:25 PM  Show Profile
When you are more likely to be found in the barn than in the beauty parlor

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

prairiemaid
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Margret

Canada
200 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  3:12:00 PM  Show Profile
ROFL! Too funny about knowing the animal the manure comes from. And I don't think it stinks, what stinks is the city, all that exhaust etc.

When you're not afraid to get your hands dirty!

When you spend the night in the city and are surprised by how bright the moon is until you realize it's the street lights shining in the window.

When your biggest fear is happening across a skunk or bear.

When bugs don't bother you.

Call me old fashioned.
Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  3:54:42 PM  Show Profile
When all of your city friends are planning a "girls " day out and you choose to go to the rodeo arena to watch the cutting horse contest, or the Southwest District Livestock Show is here and I choose to go watch the 4-her's and Ag show their animals. While there you get real excited when you park your car and walk between the rigs of trucks with horse and cattle trailers.

And lastly when I lived on our farm and my uptown friends would visit and comment that it was so silent that they could hear the ice maker making ice from up stairs. As we drove out into the country they asked, "Where are the street lights" ? With a straight face I would try to explain that the city did not have street light out of the city limits...I could go on and on but I want to hear about others.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

Nikki
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Nikki
Ohio
8 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  5:32:06 PM  Show Profile
When the chirping sounds of crickets underneath your bedroom window help lull you into a deep sleep at night...

When the sounds of barking coon dogs from a long distance away carries on the wind to make them sound like they're right outside, and you turn to your hubby and say "They musta tree'd one!"

When you sit on your front porch in the evening on a summer day and count the cars going by with the hubby...and then tell everyone when you see them how bad the traffic was on your road - YOU COUNTED TWENTY CARS that went by in a two-hour period!

When you don't bat an eye when you go by someone's place during deer gun law season, and see a deer gutted and hanging from a tree in their front yard...

When you prefer to go to town, driving 55mph on country roads much rather than going 65-75mph on the highways and interstates...

When you drink more suntea and fresh lemonade than you do Pepsi or Coke.

As soon as you see a car pulling down the lane towards your house - you instantly get up and make a fresh pot of coffee...

When you enjoy doing dishes, because it's your moment of serenity while looking out your window to stare in a daze at the hay fields that seem to go on forever in the backyard... (okay - maybe this is just me)

Go to Top of Page

Nikki
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Nikki
Ohio
8 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  5:33:56 PM  Show Profile
OH! Just thought of another one...

You look at the "city gals" in amazement when you see them carrying little dogs around in their purses while they shop...and then chuckle when you think of putting your Lab/Husky mix in a bag and carting his hiney around while you shop at Walmart...
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  5:38:13 PM  Show Profile
or your favorite hen!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  5:53:41 PM  Show Profile
Too funny, You know you're a farm firl when your friends smell manure and you realize it's coming from your boots
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  5:57:16 PM  Show Profile
When you can feel and hear the wind in your ears (and that's all you can hear) while walking to the mailbox.
Go to Top of Page

CelticCoyote
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Heather
Illinois
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  6:08:44 PM  Show Profile
When you're a little kid and it's Show & Tell Pet Day at school, and rather than bring a cat or dog or hamster like every other kid, you show up with a Rhode Island Red with a padlock on one foot (for the leash to clip onto).

Edited by - CelticCoyote on Aug 26 2005 6:10:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

Barn Goddess
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Mary Jane
Henry Virginia
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  6:19:53 PM  Show Profile
When you grow some of the best silver queen corn in the county.

When you can teach your goats to come when you whistle.

When an entire conversation with girlfriends revolves around hay.

When you give up your mule shoes for a four legged mule.

When you leave the city and never look back.

And....when you thank God every night for your farm.

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  6:50:55 PM  Show Profile
When you get a wheelbarrow for your anniversary or valentines day and say "just what I wanted!"

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  10:32:48 PM  Show Profile
You know you're a farmgirl when...

You have more than one pair of overalls and you change into your "good" pair to go to the market!

Or when you get to the market and the only thing you need there is tin foil, toilet paper and dogfood because you pretty much grow, can and freeze everything else your family eats!

Or when your favorite pair of shoes are garden clogs or Wellies and you can't remember the last time high heels were even an option!

Or when digging in the dirt beats digging through a sale rack any day of the week!

with a happy heart

Edited by - bramble on Aug 26 2005 10:35:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  11:46:40 PM  Show Profile
When you try to explain (again) to the person on the other end of the phone that you don't have any other mailing address but your PO Box number.

When you can tell the temperature by how much or how little the crickets are chirpping.

When you know what WILL take the skunk smell off the dog!

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

showmemom
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

karen
carthage mo
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2005 :  09:41:48 AM  Show Profile
...When you get a hog semen catalog in the mail and can actually read and understand it!!

talk to you soon.
karen

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.
Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2005 :  3:21:23 PM  Show Profile
When your romantic walk in the full moon holding hands with your guy is the walk to the outhouse before turning in. By the way, we also heard the wolves howling on that walk in the distance. Why the outhouse is so far away is beyond me. I took my car down once!! He won't let me forget that!
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2005 :  3:37:09 PM  Show Profile
....when you have touch an animal's internal organs while the animal is still very much alive.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2005 :  2:58:08 PM  Show Profile
OHHHHH Robin! You are a better woman than I!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

verbina
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

randi
n.j
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2005 :  3:07:41 PM  Show Profile
when you wipe your hands on your pants and say (oh crap)and go on with the day. randi
Go to Top of Page

prairiemaid
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Margret

Canada
200 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2005 :  06:02:18 AM  Show Profile
When you can tell the male from the female with different farm animals...and it matters!

Call me old fashioned.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2005 :  06:57:03 AM  Show Profile
You're right, Margret! That brought a smile. I was raised on a dairy farm and visitors would always call a bull or a steer a cow, for example. Huge differences there!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2005 :  07:39:20 AM  Show Profile
When the best part of your day is slipping into your mud boots to go outside~~

When you go to the state fair for the sole purpose of seeing the livestock and the baked goods/jams that won prizes
Thanks girls~~ I read every one and really needed a smile today. I can relate to each and every one~~
Jan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Across the Fence: Previous Topic You Know You're A Farmgirl When... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page