True Blue Farmgirl

176 Posts

Christine
IN
USA
176 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2009 :  10:10:31 AM  Show Profile
Good morning.

I canned several cans of kidney beans last week. This reminded me of a kidney bean salad my aunt used to make. It had kidney beans, onion, celery, mayo and I don't know what else. I'd love to make something like this. I know my husband would like it, too.
Would you please share your kidney bean recipes with me?

Thanks a bunch!

Christine

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2009 :  11:33:39 AM  Show Profile
Christine, I make kidney bean salad often. here is how I make mine. Drain beans, add chopped boiled eggs, celery, onion, maybe a little grated cheese and mayo.
Go to Top of Page

country roads
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2009 :  2:16:35 PM  Show Profile
Our kidney bean recipe had, two can beans drained, 1/2 pound block cheddar cheese diced, one med-lg onion diced, and enough mayo to cover it all. It is even better the next day.

Take care, Melissa.

Farmgirl # 352

~Think happy thoughts~
Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2009 :  9:37:34 PM  Show Profile
To toss in something different to the mix: My mom used to make a homemade salad dressing, similar to Italian dressing (only much, much better!!!), and this was what she dressed her kidney bean salad with. Sooooooo very good!!

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page

jumpingjuliet
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

becky
oroville CA
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  10:15:17 AM  Show Profile
Suzie do you have your mom's recipe for dressing? I always drained a can of beans and added celery and onion and added italian dressing. I would love to try a homemade dressing.

Toodles,
Becky

WOOOOHOOO!
Farmgirl #429
Gonna get cracking on those badges:D
Go to Top of Page

farm~maid
True Blue Farmgirl

176 Posts

Christine
IN
USA
176 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  10:15:29 AM  Show Profile
Belle, thanks for sharing your recipe. I made it as you said, but left out the cheese. My husband liked it.

Melissa, now that I see you add cheese also, I will have to try it next time. Thank you.

Suzie, it the dressing something sweet and sour? I make a 3 bean salad using vinegar, sugar, and a few spices for the dressing. I'll have to try using an Italian type dressing. I think my family would like that. Thanks.

Christine

Edited by - farm~maid on Feb 09 2009 10:17:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  8:22:12 PM  Show Profile
Well....Farm~maid, the dressing is more soury, than sweet, that's the way mom and dad liked it. JumpingJ, I'll look up the recipe and post it here. Mom made this for many, many years and everyone loved it. Use it on bean salad, veggie salad, green salad, etc.

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  9:10:12 PM  Show Profile
Here's the recipe:
Mom's Italian Dressing
2 c. oil
2/3 c. lemon juice (could use a little vinegar)
2 T. salt
2 ts. sugar
2 T. Worstershire sauce
2 or 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1/2 ts. dry mustard
1 good size onion
1 1/2 T. Johnny's Dock Salad Elegance
1 1/2 T. parmesan cheese

Put one cup of the oil in blender with the rest of the ing. Blend well (obviously before Cuisinarts!!). Gradually add the remainder of the oil, mom always thought it thickened better this way. This keeps in the fridge for a longggggg time.

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page

farm~maid
True Blue Farmgirl

176 Posts

Christine
IN
USA
176 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  10:47:38 PM  Show Profile
Suzie, thanks so much for sharing your Mom's recipe. I can't wait to try it. I like that it uses ingredients that are normally stocked in my kitchen.
I do have one question about the Johhny's Dock Salad Elegance. I've never seen that here in the Midwest. Do you know if that's the same as Salad Supreme or other salad blends?
Thanks a bunch!

Christine
Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  8:34:58 PM  Show Profile
Sorry, forgot you gals don't have "Johnny's Dock" seasonings out your way.....I'm sure it's the same idea as your salad seas. blends. Johnny's Dock was a seafood restaurant that started in Tacoma, Wa., many, many years ago, and they came up with that blend. They also have a seasoning salt,and they are both wonderful!! That rest. was my mom and dad's very fav place to go when my brother and I were kids. Do hope you enjoy the dressing also!!!

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Kidney bean salad Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page