cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  8:18:40 PM  Show Profile
Maybe some of you farmgals can help me out here.....very seldom do I fry potatoes....last night I decided to use my cast iron frying pan. I always add a little olive oil after cleaning it and if the oven is warm from supper stick it in there. Usually I don't have much of a problem with things sticking. However I sure had a mess last night. The potatoes stuck to the bottom and it was a mess. What am I doing wrong for goodness sake????

live, laugh, love

Hanalu
True Blue Farmgirl

123 Posts

Hana
Redwood City California
USA
123 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  11:07:40 PM  Show Profile
If you get the pan and oil super hot before you add the potatoes they will not stick. It should be hot enough that you hear a sizzle when you add the potatoes. Then let them cook for a minute before you flip them.

Hana
Go to Top of Page

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  04:59:14 AM  Show Profile
I think olive oil maybe the problem. I use an organic shortning. I agree with Hanna about getting the pan super hot also.

Tina
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  06:05:12 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
It could be the type of potato you used could have added to the problem with the olive oil also.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  06:52:03 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Using liquid oil to season can make your pan sticky. They break down differently at high temperatures so when they cool their properties are different.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  07:15:15 AM  Show Profile
If you are using raw potatoes rather than leftover cooked ones, it may jusst be the starch in the potatoes sticking up the works..at least that has been my experience...

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  07:43:57 AM  Show Profile
Can I add that the pan has to be HOT. I have noticed that when I put things in a pan that is not really hot, things stick. I even put my corn bread pan in the oven with the oil and get it bubbly hot where when I put in the corn bread batter, it starts frying. The corn bread just slides right out. So I think a really hot frying pan might help you.

Oopps! I just saw Hana said the same thing. It does work! And I use all kinds of oil, too.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  08:17:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yup! I cook with all sorts of oils, mostly olive oil though, but I only season the pan with a veg shortening because I have had liquid oils cause sticking in the past if I tried to season with them. They get kind of gummy as they heat up.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

milkmaid
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Higginsville Missouri
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  2:08:23 PM  Show Profile
I agree about the temp of the pan I let mine get good and hot before I add anything and I rarely have anything stick.. my husband tends to put things in a cooler pan and then everything sticks...

http://goodfarm.blogspot.com/

Mother to five awesome kids, wife of 17 years and milk maid to two beautiful cows. Living the good life!!!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  3:32:49 PM  Show Profile
I forgot to say I hardly ever have to wash mine, either. Mostly just wipe them out and they are ready for the next time. That's another thing. I only use an unscented dish soap if I have to but usually just hot water. Because you don't want to wash off all the good stuff ( I can't think what the word is) that has built up over time with each use. I hope this makes sense.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  8:00:00 PM  Show Profile
Preheating your pan is the key. I don't use olive oil; I use canola for the most part. The only item I ever had problems with was non-organic bacon. It leaves the nastiest, stickiest goo in the bottom. I don't buy anything but organic anymore and no more problem with that either.

Also, I NEVER wash my pans. They usually just wipe out with newspaper or paper towels. If not, I use a copper scrubber pad. Just rub it on the stuck spots in the pan until they come off. No water necessary and soap is the last thing you want to use. Then wipe clean. That "seasoning" in the pan is important. Not only for the non-stick quality it gives your pan, but the flavor in your food. Never had a problem with any kind of food poisoning either. Something about the porousness of the the cast iron somehow eliminates bacteria just like wood cutting boards.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

[size=1]My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com [size=1]
Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  8:31:11 PM  Show Profile
Gosh ladies, I never expected so many responses. I guess you all concur, the pan has to be HOT.....which I know is the problem, don't like grease flying all over the place. But will take your advice on that!! Also, I never "wash" that fry pan, just generally use good hot water, then wipe out, like you all suggest. I do think I'll start using the veg. shortening instead of olive oil also. Many, many thanks for all you wonderful farmgirls.....I knew I could count on somebody here!!!!

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Cast Iron Pans Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page