Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Anyone live in a manufactured home?**Pictures**
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Anyone live in a manufactured home?**Pictures** Next Topic
Page: of 5

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  8:42:58 PM  Show Profile
When my husband sold his house down the hill and we moved up to his mom's property(closer for me taking care of her) we bought an older used manufactured home '79. We've been trying to remodel inside as money and time permit, we always have one or the other but rarely both at the same time.
I don't know about any of the rest of you, but there are 2 things about this: 1) I like not having a mortgage or any payments other than utilities, phone, etc. 2) Since we are still remodeling(after almost 4 years) and probably will be for quite a while longer, it makes me uncomfortable sometimes when I look at other FG's blogs and you can see how lovely their homes are.
It's not like I'm white trash, but sometimes, maybe I feel like it due to the circumstances. Does anyone understand what I'm saying? You never see a show on HGTV or the other stations about remodeling manufactured homes, mobile homes, trailers, double wides, what ever you want to call them.

So are there any other FGs who live in a home like me or is everyone else in either an apt or frame/block/brick type of house?

Cindy

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1

Edited by - Mother Hen on Feb 05 2009 7:41:15 PM

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  9:03:52 PM  Show Profile
Cindy you live in Peck ID if it isn't a Manufactured home its a Potlatch house like what I have under remodel also. My FIL and MIL live in a Manufactured House and you would be hard pressed to know it. A home is a place to live love and laugh in. A house is just a structure. I have lived in 10 by 40 trailers 7 by 25 trailers and a fith wheel trailer I even did a summer in a tent trailer. I love every one of them but you move on. Be happy just think if you get to where you relly love it you can take it some place new. Besides my BIL and SIL live in a great house it is such a mess I hate having to go there. It is all in what you make it. Be happy.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  11:25:24 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Diana, it's just I would like it to be "fixed" already. Getting used to being a farmer/rancher's wife is much different then when I worked in the city and made good money steadily. And, don't get me wrong, I love my life here, I just wish my home was DONE.

Cindy

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  07:04:01 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Cindy! I know just what you are going through. I live in an older mobile home too. Mine is a '71. I think the thing that gets me the most about my place is that I rent the lot. I think I would be happier with my home if I owned a little ground to "park" it on. There is always rumor that the lady that owns the land is going to sell off and so then i have the fear that I will be forced to move and no money to do it with. Maybe it's time for me to try to find a small parcel of land that will allow me to put my house in.

So what is your favorite place about your home so far, Cindy? sometimes when I get to feeling all down about my home, like right now it has to be the drafty old windows and the freezing cold weather don't go well together. I also remember that I love the amount of windows in my home because it makes my home bright and cheerful with all the sunlight coming in.

Sometimes they are a work in progress for what seems like forever. Just do what you can and know that you will get to where you want to be.

Melanie

Shop~ http://www.squidoo.com/buyinghomemade
Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

jinia
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

jinia
mo
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  07:28:22 AM  Show Profile
Cindy don't be down on your home! My son was sick for a little over a year. I ended up having to quit my job because of all time we spent going to doctors and he couldn't go to daycare - heck I didn't want him to! We knew we were in debt and Kaden (my son) was starting school and there might be more problems...My mom and dad couldn't offer fincial help and they aren't the watch your grandchild type. The offered me the best help - to share there mobile home. I have to say it saved us. My husband and I have the back room, my son the middle with a bathroom in between. Of course my parents have the master with a bathroom in there room. Couldn't have worked out better! Tight but we make it work. My son is doing well and just when we started looking for a place my dad had a "routine" procedure that has taken this entire year to almost recover from. He needed around the clock care for several months. Once he got back on his feet my husband like a lot of these wonderful farmgirls got layed off. So I love my folks mobile home!! I don't know what wouldv'e happen had we not lived some place so affordable! My husband just got a new job so we'll start looking again..Mobile home is a possible choice! Enjoy your added security in these troubled fincial times!
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  07:57:38 AM  Show Profile
Cindy,

There is a HGTV type show on CMT called Mobile Home Disaster. It is really funny, but also gives good tips on how to deal with covering paneling, making those "great" cabinets look nice, and helping the exterior look more "homey". I really like the show.

Speaking as a former realtor, you need to be careful about how much money you out into a mobile home remodel. The money spent may not affect the sale price of your home as much as you would like it to. However, if you don't plan to sell in the future, go for it!!!

Nine years ago, we paid $95,000 for our house on an acre lot. We have put $30,000 worth of improvements since then. It appraised last summer for $179,000. Thats $125,000 in our pockets. If it would have been a stick built home, the realtor said we could have got at least $225,000. Doesn't seem fair to me, but we aren't going to sell so it doesn't matter. :o)

Speaking as the proud owner of a 1983 double-wide, I feel your pain. We have spent the last nine years "remodeling" the place. We sided it, added a living room on the front, See in photo below.

a hot tub room on the back, and an addition that expanded our master bedroom by 10 feet. Now, we are working on sheet rocking all the interior walls for better insolation. Next year we plan on remodeling the kitchen and baths. Gotta save some money first. :o)

I painted the kitchen cabinets a light color and sponge painted over the really ugly wallpaper. That will get me by until we can get new cabinets. Look at the cabinets behind me. Not the greatest pic, but you get the idea.

One tip I have is to use orange peel texture on the paneling before you paint it. It helps to disguise the lines in the paneling. Another inexpensive trick is pulling out the "fake" beams on the cathedral ceiling covering them with recycled wood from and old barn or even a log cut in half. It gives a country feel to the room, but will work with even a contemporary theme if you stain it dark.

Sherone
Independent Avon Representative

http://tinytaylorranch.blujay.com
http://taylorscountrystore.blogspot.com/
http://sheronesgarden.tripod.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  08:18:09 AM  Show Profile
Cindy, we bought an older home in the country that had been empty for several years. We have done tons of stuff to it and have sunk probably $50k into it and it's STILL not finished! So it's not just you that's frustrated because your house isn't done. We've been here 4 1/2 years now and just got the dining room finished! Now we have to go back through and redo everything to make it look the same. It never ends!

I am sure you have heard the saying "bloom where you are planted". You are where you are right now at this time in your life for a specific reason. Whatever it is, you should not be ashamed or embarresed because of it. I am sure your home is filled with love and anyone who enters feels it when they walk in. Be proud of your home and be happy you have one. I have a friend who lives in a mobile home but I neversaw that. I love going to her house because it always has such a welcoming feeling to it. She's always cooking and it is the most comfortable place I have ever been in. So it doesn't really matter what the outside looks like. It's the inside that matters the most. Never forget that.

Go get you some pretty flowers and put them in a pretty vase. That makes any place look homey. And I am sure yours already does.

I have lived in mobile homes before and who knows but that someday I may again. I have to learn that in whatever situation I am in to be happy and to know that the Lord is with me wherever I am!

Hugs to you, Cindy. Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  11:34:32 AM  Show Profile
I live in a manufactured home.. We bought it last July it was only two years old. We found looking for property to put one on was really out of our price range and found this one on 1 acre perfect. We have lots of things to do outside and are happy to be able to do what we want to do. Don't ever feel ashamed or embarrassed about what your house looks like, I think it being clean and yours to decorate as you want the way it should be.. We decided we wanted to retire so we could spend our money on enjoying our life and not having a hude mortgage payment. Life is to short to have those worries. These pictures are of the house when we moved here. It doesn't look like a manufactured home at all.

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age... Lucille Ball

Edited by - K-Falls Farmgirl on Feb 04 2009 11:35:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  12:05:56 PM  Show Profile
Cindy, don't feel bad about your manufactured home not being finished. Like Kristin says above, our "regular" house has taken a lot of remodeling and has a long way left to go. If you want to get into a house at an affordable price, it seems like you often have to face doing a lot of work on it.

It's hard not to get a little bit of "keeping up with the Joneses" envy, no matter what kind of house you have. We live in an old city neighborhood, where all the houses are roughly the same age and construction, and whenever I see somebody else getting new siding or a new fence or something, I have this moment of panic where I think, "Oh, no, now our house is the ugliest house on the block and we're bringing down the property values and we'll never be able to sell it for more than we paid, etc..." But I don't think anybody ever thinks of their house as being finished, unless you buy a brand new tract house. And then you have to go back and add "character".

I love the idea of having a livable home for half the cost of a typical house, so manufactured homes definitely have a special appeal for me. I would love to see some books or shows devoted to remodeling them because the differences in structure and materials from what I'm used to have scared me off in the past. But if I want to live in the country someday, and I do, I expect that there is a manufactured house in my future.
Go to Top of Page

rhondacate
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Rhonda
Janesville CA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  6:54:33 PM  Show Profile
My husband and I live in a tiny travel trailer with a large room added on. It's totally backwoods, but it works for us right now. His sister and husband and 7 kids live right next year in a mobile home that they have added onto. And it looks great; You can barely tell it started as a mobile.

My husband and his 7 siblings grew up in a double wide that his brother and family now live in.

None of us live in fancy houses but we don't have mortgages to pay, and that is nice. Though we do dream of our nice house someday.

~Rhonda

http://rmfo-blogs.com/rhonda
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  12:26:00 AM  Show Profile
I would like to say something to all who have posted since I last did.

Melanie--I hope you get land for your house soon, or at least they let you buy your lot. My favorite thing about my double wide is that it's cozy 1280 sq ft.

Jinia--What a blessing you can all live so close and get along. How fortunate you have all been able to be there to help each other in times of need. That's what family is all about.

Sherone--I will have to look on CMT for that show. I don't usually watch that channel, but if I can find the day/time of that show I may start making it a regular. We don't have plans on selling our home. My husband said if we move we aren't taking this home with us. However, you never know what God has in store for us. Your home looks right nice. I have the same cabinets in my kitchen, but I haven't done as nice of a paint job on them. You have given me an idea though. Thank you for posting the pictures!!

Kris--I never heard of that saying but I like it. I will try to remember that!!

Cheryl--NO, your home doesn't look like a manufactured home. It's very nice.

Amie--Thank you for your support and encouragement.

Rhonda--I visited your blog after reading your post. It sure looks like you and your family(or husband's family) have fun no matter where you are.

Thank you all so much for your support, encouragement, pictures, and stories. It's always nice to know you aren't alone!!

If I can figure out how to post pictures I will do that to show you my home. Thanks again sisters!!

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4222 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4222 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  04:27:07 AM  Show Profile
I understand all of what everyone is saying. we have a 20 by 40 house. Part of it is a good hundred years old, the other was added on when it got moved here. That would of been in the 60's. And it still looks like that too. We have lived here almost 20 years. We have built a barn, put in 2 wells, a coop, remodeled the bathroom, but that is it. The outside of the house looks terrible. I keep the inside nice as I can, and the yard in great shape, because I feel so guilty of the house. The worst part is my husband used to be a contractor. We have the knowledge, the tools, and yes even the new windows, insulation, and roof, all sitting here for a few years. I just can't get the old boy moving. Now he says maybe this summer. It is sooooo frustrating. My husband smiles and says it keeps the taxes down. (picture me banging my head against a wall!) Maybe this year, right!! Smile and keep plugging away!

MIchele
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  11:05:02 AM  Show Profile
Michele, I know what you mean, we have 1/2 of our roof tinned but the rest of the supplies are just sitting here, now waiting for warmer dry weather. We also have flooring for our (2) bathrooms that is stored in one of the buildings for 3 years. The office is close to being done, dry walled, painted, new laminent hardwood flooring, even new window, but alas, the window isn't insulated nor finished being trimmed nor is the trimming done on the closet. DH dry walled DD's room, but I painted it and hired a guy from church to help me lay the carpet(I'd never done it before). It has a new window also.H installed just office window. I waited til DH went south to work last year and hired a local guy to put in the window in DD and our bedrooms and to install flooring (12x12) lamintent squares. I had found them at a flooring store where I went through their "clearance" stuff and I "cut them a deal". I offered less than they had it marked and told them I'd take it all if they gave me my price. IT WORKED
So the local guy laid the flooring (I helped) and he put in 2 windows and it took 2 days of his time and cost me $150 labor total. The flooring for the foyer and the one room(2nd living room with wood stove in it) only cost me $200 ($100 for the deal I gave them, then $100 for the under laminent).
I usually save any money we get for Christmas from family and my birthday (in Jan) and after husband leaves to work in NV I get shopping and working on the house. Last spring I found laminent hardwood flooring at a discount grocery store and bought that and the under laminent enough to do my dining room. In the spring (again while DH was away working) my DD and I laid that floor ourselves. It isn't perfect, but it's better than the sub-floor!
Maybe it's a combination of the blues this winter with the fact I didn't have enough money to "fix" a floor this time DH went away to work.
Don't get me wrong, DH is very good at remodeling, but there is so much else for him to do, he never gets time to do it. Also, it's easier for me to do it when he's gone than when he's home. He's usually happy with my outcome, but if he were home he would be trying to tell me how to do it. I like to do things my way if it's my project, if I want help or advise, I'll ask.
Right now I'm going to look for a thread how to post pictures here for you to see what I've done and have yet to do.
Cindy

Edited by - Mother Hen on Feb 05 2009 11:09:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  7:35:12 PM  Show Profile
I think I might have this picture thing figured out now.......
[/URL]
Our home with new lawn put in this past fall.
[/URL]
The kitchen cupboards that came with my home.
[/URL]
A few new cupboards and new counter top.
[/URL]
My dining room when it's clean and I'm not sewing. That is the floor DD and I installed.

There, I hope this works. All comments are welcome (if the pictures come out).
Cindy

Edited by - Mother Hen on Feb 05 2009 7:39:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

happydaze
True Blue Farmgirl

136 Posts

lorraine
atlanta ni
USA
136 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  7:53:49 PM  Show Profile
My mobile is better insulated and easier to cool and heat than most stick builts in our area.It has more sq,ft than the house I raise 3 kids in, the roof doesnt leak and the windows are snug. I like it better than any of the sticks we lived in. Just dont make the mistake of trying to make it more than it is. Lots of people try to fancy up thier homes, I have a trailer on a farm in the middle of the woods and that is exactly what it looks like.
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  04:58:39 AM  Show Profile
I have to agree with Granmadinah, "A home is a place to live love and laugh in. A house is just a structure." I live in a "new" modular home. It has no soul. But it was the right time/place/price. It has all the new stuff...windows, cabinets, carpet...and so on but I'm having a hard time nesting here and making it a "home". I would have preferred some big old drafty farmhouse but there were none to be found when we needed to move. I've lived in a LOT of places...apartments, apartments in houses, old houses, mobile homes, tents, houses under construction, and even my car (for a few months)....

I know how you feel when you see pics of other FG's homes...but I think that it's just a good way to see how everyone is doing with what they have. I love everyone's little "fixes" here and there and some of us are much "better off" than others but I don't really think it's about that. I think it's about the soul of who we are as people and not the trappings that surround us.

I like your little red house. And my goodness are those mountains I see in the distance? Oh and your dining room is lovely. (Nice job on the floor...I'd LOVE to have a wood floor!)

You are doing JUST fine!
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  05:18:15 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Ahh Cindy, your home is lovely! You are doing a wonderful job on fixing it up. Here where I live we have a Habitat Home Store. Habitat gets items (floor covering, sinks, windows, you name it) donated by folks who want to help the cause, but they can't use in the construction of the new homes. So they have taken the donated items and started a store and sell to the public at a much lower cost than regular hardware stores. The proceeds than go to benefit Habitat for Humanity. Does your area have anything like this maybe? That could save you a bit of money. Also don't forget yardsales. :) I once found two brand new pieces of sage green carpeting at a yardsale. I got them for $2 a piece and it was more than enough to carpet my hallway. Ummm there's another one i was going to tell you about--- oh you might also want to check and see if there is a freecycle and cheapcycle yahoo group in your area. You can get or give all kinds of things for free or next to nothing. Just be very cautious when dealing with peeps over the internet. Meet in a public area and have your hubby or a friend tag along. Hope this helps.

Melanie

Shop~ http://www.squidoo.com/buyinghomemade
Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  08:48:56 AM  Show Profile
Lorraine- I wish mine was insulated as well as yours. We're getting to that but slowly. I have a wood stove in one of the 2 small living rooms and I burn about 5 cord of wood per winter. I do have an electric furnace for the wee hours of the morning that comes on, but I prefer wood and when we can go get firewood for the price of the fuel in the rig and gas/oil for the chainsaw then it really is more cost effective.
Also, I wanted to tell you about an older couple just up the canyon, they started out with a small single wide trailer and built rooms on as needed (like a typical farmhouse) then remodeled their trailer which is in the center of the whole thing. You can't tell there is a trailer in there anywhere from inside or out. They've lived there for about 60 years and their house just looks like a tiny house with added rooms and is SO CUTE. I'd love to show pictures, but I don't think it's right to post pictures of someone else's home or I would.

T- I would have loved a drafty old farmhouse to work on too. However the only drafty old farmhouse on the property is one that we have stuff in that we need to clear out and push over with the dozer. Here's why....the shake roof is collapsing and it's been raining in there for several years, there's no foundation what-so-ever, the rooms are very small and there are only 4 rooms. I know it doesn't sound bad, but there isn't any land/yard in which to add on.
Here's a picture of it, however, I noticed it really doesn't look bad in the picture at all compared to seeing it in person.

Also, T yes there are mountains all around, we even live on the side of one. At least I call them mountains, but they have flat tops, the prairie. Thank you for your note.

Melanie- yes we have one of the Habitat resale stores about 45 minutes away. I found some great old lamp shades for old floor lamps I have. I haven't found any flooring there yet that is the type I'm looking for. I do need to check there more often though. Thanks for the reminder.

Cindy

Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  09:04:51 AM  Show Profile
I believe, A home is where your heart is.. Love and family are planted there. We need to Enjoy and respect that.
It is only a structure and it can be dressed with things that mean a lot to the owner, it should reflect you and what you like. Remodeled or not it is your place, your security and safe refuge, your sanctuary and place of comfort.

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise',
I wash my mouth out with chocolate.
Go to Top of Page

jinia
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

jinia
mo
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  12:12:24 PM  Show Profile
Cindy,
Your home looks great! Looks warm and welcoming!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  12:56:15 PM  Show Profile
Your home is lovely! It doesn't matter if it's a manufactured home or not. I lived in a 5 year old double wide on 5 acres for 3 years and it was the happiest time of my life! I'd live in one again if I could get it cheap enough with the land. There was a section in Romantic Homes a few years back on 2 gals that had remodeled their manufactured homes in a romantic cottage style. They were gorgeous!!

Handmade Soap and More! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  6:33:44 PM  Show Profile
We live in a 16x80 foot trailer. It is very drafty around windows and doors, not to mention holes in floor where pipes come in and such. Plus, I've had mice chew through the "drywall" because it's so thin. Luckily this year we got a wood furnace, so we are keeping it nice and warm and haven't had the pipes freeze like last year. We have to go out tomorrow and get more wood though because we have gone through a ton! My cats also live in my insulation in the belly during the winter. It's only covered by a sheet of plastic, so it wasn't hard for them to get in there. We are working on getting out of debt so we can get rid of this and built a house. Then this trailer will be my new chicken coop! :)

http://plumcreekmama.blogspot.com/

http://plumcreekcreations.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Jeanna
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Jeanna
Franklin NC
USA
267 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  6:45:23 PM  Show Profile
When my husband and I were married in 86 we bought a 69 trailer that was 12X60 and that included the hitch. We lived there until my son was two. It wasn't big and not fancy but it was home. I have since then lived in a new house, a old drafty farm house, and now in the ranch style we live in now. My favorite was the farm house in the summer, but the winters were brutal. So every house has its good and bad points but the main thing is the building does not make it a home, the people inside do.

Jeanna
Farmgirl Sister #41

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

farm~maid
True Blue Farmgirl

176 Posts

Christine
IN
USA
176 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  5:12:53 PM  Show Profile
My husband and I had a discussion today about my impatience with this old farmhouse. Then, I come here and see that I'm not alone. Our biggest obstacles - time and money. But, that is life........
We've been here 3 years next month. It was one of the original farms in this area. The original family sold it about 20 years ago and it was left to die. The previous 2 owners just let it go. Then, we come along and are drawn to it's character from the moment we stepped inside. This place was a mess! We removed bags and truckloads of garbage from this house. It was just barely livable. The one and only bathroom was so bad our DD refused to shower or bathe here. The kitchen had no cabinets and the counter top for the sink was all buckled and falling apart with each wipe of a cloth. The family that we bought it from lived here almost 10 years and never owned a vacuum. And, yes it was carpeted.
We traded a new all brick home with a full basement and 2 1/2 baths for this old house. We still get people telling us we are nuts.
But, we are home. We can't imagine living anywhere else right now. We had prayed for many years for direction on moving and this is where God led us.
So, I won't complain anymore......at least for awhile. I do need to give DH a little push now and again.
I think I'd feel right at home in the warm comfortable homes you all describe. It is truly the people and the love they share that make a home.
Sorry, I rambled. I've been thinking about this all day. Now, I can let it go.

Christine
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  5:48:02 PM  Show Profile
I don't have time to read every thing, but CMT has a remodeling show, called Mobile Home Disasters, they do really nice fix ups, to REAL disasters!

So there is a show! :)

I live in a tiny apt in NYC, I'd give anything to live in a manufactured mobile home, in the country!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  8:08:30 PM  Show Profile
You are all so right about the occupants making the dwelling a "home". You know I've just been in such a "funk" this winter, it's the worst it's hit me yet. MY APOLOGIES LADIES for having to put up with my moods during this blah time. You know I really am happy where I live and I do have it better then some. I do appreciate all the support you guys have given me. You are great.

OH, and I've found that show on CMT it should be on here in Pacific Time Zone at 9pm tonight. Thanks for the heads up on that show, I'm expecting to learn a lot!

Edited by - Mother Hen on Feb 07 2009 8:10:46 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Anyone live in a manufactured home?**Pictures** Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page