Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Another step to our place...a change of plans
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Another step to our place...a change of plans Next Topic  

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  9:23:34 PM  Show Profile
Last wknd we moved out of our house and put everything in storage. We're going to live in our big rig for a few months, if that long. We are buying another 5th wheel and have found a plot of land that is either for sale or up for back taxes, depending on who you listen to. I have found a website that you order log cabins and have done the worksheet.

The 5th wheel is going on a friends place till we can get the land or whatever piece.

We are not hooking up to the grid, just a generator and solar/wind power (which I've already lived that way before). Trying to be as self-sufficient as possible. I know how to garden and can. Hubby likes to hunt and fish.

Anyway, long story short, we felt that renting, we were throwing our money away and prefer to put it towards us. We have a new impetus to do this. Everything is going to be paid for in about 2+ years, no payments on ANYthing. We are cashing in everything too.

The strange thing is that city friends have said they'd like to be like us BUT no one really wants to sacrifice to do so. To each his own but we finally feel like we're in our groove and THIS is what we've been aiming for!

The plans will change a bit ehre and there but we have a line to follow. It feels gooooood!!

For some 'venting'-type of entertainment, please read my blog, http://lostadventuresintrucking.blogspot.com .

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  01:56:53 AM  Show Profile
Great! I know you all will do just fine!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  04:46:37 AM  Show Profile
Way to go Winona! Isn't it funny how little we really need to live. Good luck with your venture.

Age only matters if you are wine or cheese.
http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  05:30:08 AM  Show Profile
Awesome! Way to go! It is amazing what you can do when you really strip away the nonsense, isn't it?

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  06:14:35 AM  Show Profile
Another thing we found while moving out of the house....we have WAY too much stuff! Do we really need so much??

It's fine if you buy stuff and like/love it and want to keep it but, for us, we were astounded at how much we have. We rented the largest store room they have and still had to put things in a friend's spare bedroom!! If I had been thinking ahead, I could have had a driveway sale and sold quite a bit and made some money too boot.

We actually gave away our huge sleeper and matching recliner...good thing, there wouldn't have been room to put it in the storage room.

"Stripping away the nonsense" is the perfect phrase for what we are doing.

For some 'venting'-type of entertainment, please read my blog, http://lostadventuresintrucking.blogspot.com .

Go to Top of Page

Heather B
True Blue Farmgirl

562 Posts

Heather
Longmont Colorado
USA
562 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  08:36:18 AM  Show Profile
You seeem to have a good plan. Good Luck and Congratulations on living your dream!

Heather

http://homesteadincity.blogspot.com/

"Only your real friends tell you when your face is dirty"
Farm Girl Sister #662
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  10:11:05 AM  Show Profile
Good for you! We are in the same boat with trying to be debt free and pay for a farm as we go. So far we're 2 years into our little farm and have turkeys and chickens. I really really really want goats and cows, but hubby says the ground is too wet (for the goats) so we need to wait until we can get it to drain properly. That means about another year or so. I want to be able to eat and drink only from what we raise.....didnt mean to ramble:) Good luck and stay positive!

~Ashley

You get out what you put in, nothing more and nothing less.
Go to Top of Page

KanMogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katherine
Rock Kansas
USA
349 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  4:20:12 PM  Show Profile
Are you going to build your own log home or have a contractor? If using a contractor, make sure you find someone who knows what they are doing. A log home requires special steps be taken to allow for settling of the logs especially when putting the windows in. We still need to caulk the inside of ours.

I would rather wear out than rust out.----Richard Cumberland
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  8:58:11 PM  Show Profile
I did the Lakefront Log Cabin 'worksheet'. I have the site in my phone. http://www.lakefrontlogcabins.com/

I did find out that even though we want to live off the grid, our county MAY want us to still wire the place, like a normal home, only we won't hook it up. Still have to do permits and have heard that the permit people get really snotty about it since you don't use a contractor, but can build it yourself. Another friend put his up in about a month with help from two male buddies.

That's the plan anyway...

Go to Top of Page

Rxgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Dana
Id
USA
216 Posts

Posted - May 29 2010 :  10:57:29 AM  Show Profile
Winona, we are going thru a similar situation ourselves. Upon the birth of our first daughter almost 3 years ago, we realized we could no longer pay our bills without me going back to work full-time. My husband and I both make good money and could easily live off of his income alone if we hadn't had such a huge house payment. The bank refused to work with us on anything so we ended up foreclosing so I could stay home and raise our kids(I couldn't put them in daycare just to pay for our lifestyle). We have also adopted the "pay as you go" mentality and are working hard to pay off all of our debt (it's rediculous). We just bought 20 acres but can't move to it for a few years because of this new philosophy but I think it is well worth the sacrifice now so that we will be better off in a few years, without being a slave of sorts to our debtors. It's nice to know there are others who feel the same way and are following thru, even though it can be so intimidating.
Good luck to you and you are not alone!
Dana

"He who throws mud only loses ground"-Fat Albert
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  10:59:22 PM  Show Profile
Yup, firmly believe in PAYGO. Actually, it's not hard now, I've been doing it a long time.

Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  09:41:29 AM  Show Profile
:0)

Sounds like so much fun! I'd LOVE a log cabin :0D but, I already have plans to recover our exterior in cedar (yay!)...can't wait 'til we can pay for it.

I, too, am 'stripping away the nonsense': old junk I don't use, things I hang onto for no good reason, etc. Been doing it for about 3 weeks in preparation for a monster garage sale. Simplicity is GREAT. Good luck, Winona!

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  9:18:32 PM  Show Profile
More good news...got paid today (twice a month) and we have more money to go into the pot instead of rent!! We are buying food from Wmart to eat on the truck instead of the restaurants. I know that's not good for the cooks and waitresses but we have to do what we have to do right now.

When I rented the storage room, I got a great deal. Pay two months and get the third month free!! Yay!! Saved $92 that way!! I suspended our cable TV and may just turn it completely off. We are out of our committed time plus I can watch pretty much whatever show on my laptop at hulu. We have XM radio and I paid for 3 years to get a great monthly rate, $9 a month. I was going to get an aircard for my laptop but so many truckstops and rest areas offer free internet now, no reason to fork out $60 a month! It's not like I'm going to use it while I'm driving. Hubby drives but it's so shaky that I worry my laptop could break and THAT would be BAD. Really bad. I have every sort of spyware/adware/virus stuff on here, nothing ever gets through...so far.

Our cell company wants us to renew with a newer, fancier, swankier phone but the old one works very well and I don't want to commit to another 2 years, although I don't have a thing against them, just don't want to commit right now. Went down on our plan and we talk after 7 o'clock and on wknds and never go near our allowed minutes during peak time.

I'm SUCH a chinch!! But I can totally see our place and now it's becoming a mission. The hardest part was getting started.

Go to Top of Page

Rxgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Dana
Id
USA
216 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  8:26:16 PM  Show Profile
you're quite an inspiration! I'm going to have to take a look at hulu and maybe cancel our cable...I've been thinking about it for a while (seems like such a time-waster)

farmgirl #1432

"He who throws mud only loses ground"-Fat Albert
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Another step to our place...a change of plans Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page