Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Family Matters
 Getting the husband on board!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Family Matters: Previous Topic Getting the husband on board! Next Topic  

Michigan Girl in TX
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Kristi
Cottonwood Shores TX
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  5:30:00 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone! This is my first post. I have been embracing a more green lifestyle for my family. I have changed our cleaners, household products (soaps, lotions, etc.) and me and my kids have been eating healthier (no preservatives, chemicals, colorings, etc.) Trying to buy more local (though that has been more of a challenge) Also to spend less time on the computer and tv and more family time. Unfortunately I have one giant obstacle.... my husband!

He is the king of preservatives, loves packaged food, uses chemicals everywhere (used glass cleaner so much on the table it took the finish off!)... even after I have discussed how I am making this change for our kids to be healthier. He rolls his eyes and says he will buy what he wants. The crazy thing is he never cleans so why does he keep buying 5 bottles of windex & bleach at a time? And why if his preservative laden food is so great, does he eat everything I buy and make? But he keeps coming home with dozens of bags of junk food.... that of course the kids dip in to. And not only does he have to watch tv constantly when he is home.... but sometimes will have 2 or 3 tvs on! Oh, and don't get me started when he decided to spray my beautiful flowers for bugs and burnt up all the leaves!

Ugh! Does anyone have a magic solution? It is frustrating putting time and effort into everything when he keeps trying to drag us back into chemical land! Oh... and his answer for this "It was good enough for me when I was growing up!" Ugh. Thanks for letting me vent a little! It is driving me crazy, and any ideas to help him see the light is most appreciated!

Kristi

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  5:50:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Are you sure our husbands aren't joined at the hip? Keep working on him. Do a little research and drop things into conversation like "Oh wow! I just learned that the government is starting to restrict phylates in children toys because they are carcinogenic and toxic and I also found out they are in plastics!

Or however conversation is natural for you. I found out that if I just talk about it a lot and not say "So we should do xxxx" they listen better because they aren't feeling pressured to change. But if you slowly educate him, he can decide it is his choice to change.

You can also tuck the toxic type cleansers and such way back in the darkest hole of a cupboard you have and put the nice green cleaners and such in the convenient places. Or even better. Dump out the Windex and replace it with vinegar and water with just a drop or two of dish liquid in it and then put in some blue food dye. Unless he is really observant he won't realize the difference!

Good luck! We are in the process too! And welcome to the forum! I bet you will love it here!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  6:29:42 PM  Show Profile
Oh Alee you're a pro!! LOL!! My one and only will grab whatever is at the front of the cupboard!! He mostly excepts me ways...I've had to introduce him sloooowly over the past 2 years or so. We are getting there! YOU WILL TOO!!! Nice to meet you Kristi! I look forward to chatting it up with you! These girls are great!

Jamie

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

Check out my blog!! http://bestcoupleintown.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  04:44:23 AM  Show Profile
Sometimes I think there should be a eutopian place like Joni Mitchell's "Ladies of the Canyon".... We could all go there and leave our hubbies to their cheetos, twinkies, and 5 bottles of Windex. (I got one too)
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  06:41:10 AM  Show Profile
I would check for the receipts in the bags when he brings home anything you don't want. Then return it when he isn't around! Just keep a little something in case he actually asks for it! Good luck on turning him "green".

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  10:13:10 AM  Show Profile
My husband likes the saving of money! That helps.

Now with TV, that has been the very hardest thing.

I finally figured out something though to bargain with, FINALLY, like just last month, after 8 years of trying to get rid of the TV! I finally found something. He agreed to get rid of the TV if I let him do a model railroad with as much money as he spends on Cable. Heck YES! I mean the satelite money is just like flushing it in the toilet in my opinion. At least with the railroading he will have actual things! And the children can be involved, instead of staring into space at the TV with him! lol

He actually proposed this to me!

Just last month he came to me and said, you know how you keep wanting to get rid of tv. Well I will if I can have a model railroad and spend the money from the dish (cable) for it.

I about leaped up off the ground! I was like YEAH!! Of course. Uh...sure honey what ever you want. lol hahaha Really did he think I would say no to this. lol I had to try hard at keeping my cool. As I was so excited. I mean.......like railroading would be objectable, compared to the TV? I think not! lol hahaha

It only took 8 years! lol hahaha If I would of known that was all I had to agree to, I would of proposed it 8 years ago. How in the world I didn't know this secret want, is beyond me! lol Or that it would be enough of a pull to get rid of the TV! lol

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  10:53:44 AM  Show Profile
I've been saying for years that I think after they've done their part for procreation they should all be shipped to another planet! Except my dad, that is.
Go to Top of Page

Michigan Girl in TX
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Kristi
Cottonwood Shores TX
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  4:35:17 PM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh.... it is just nice to realize I am not the only one! And ya'll have some great ideas! Alee... the blue food coloring is great! He only looks for that "blue" bottle! I bet he wouldn't notice! Thanks for the advice! I will just keep plowing on.... I swear I wouldn't have one wrinkle if not for him!

Thanks for the great welcome too! I am so excited about the forum! I have already found some good ideas and advice just by reading everyone's posts and repies!

Kristi
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  8:11:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Isn't it so funny what the guys get conditioned to? I hope some of this starts working for you. I got my husband converted to the homemade laundry soap when I showed him how CHEAP it is! He said "You should sell that stuff then!" LOL!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  8:26:05 PM  Show Profile
My hubby is ok with all the things I use to clean with. Baking soda and vinegar. That's it. He even has been watching a lot of health things on tv while he's been home and tells me about things to try. Like today he said he'd heard that we shouldn't be using Windex but to make our own with vinegar, water and a little alcohol. WOW!! When I said I do that except I had not heard of the alcohol, I'll have to try that, he was like, really? I said yes, honey, that's all I use to clean with. Oh,well good for you, he says. Hmmm, he's been home two weeks now, I wonder what else he'll discover about me. Men are so awesome. He does still use Windex and Bounty paper towels to clean his glasses. Says he's tried the vinegar but it leaves streaks.

I almost forgot to say welcome to Kristi. Welcome Kristi!

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  4:25:51 PM  Show Profile
hey ya'll......welcome Kristi!!!! I have to say that i guess I'm pretty lucky when it comes to my hubby in these areas, he's on board with anything "green", so I guess I can't offer any advice....by reading this thread, I'll have to remind myself that thought there are some things that my husband does to make me uuurrrggg!!!!....I'm still lucky that he's all for the organic, green, reuse , repurpose, recycle stuff!!! Oh, Kristi, where is Cottonwood Shores? i couldn't find it on my map...maybe we are neighbors!!!....Kelley
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  08:59:16 AM  Show Profile
For the glasses, I just use regular soap-bath or hand. And then rinse with water, try with the same towel I use to dry myself after bath/shower. See if your husband finds that ok. I never have streaks!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  11:14:26 AM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
My hubby still swears by bleach. I have managed to get rid of every chemical but he keeps buying bleach. He is all for doing our part for the environment and our family but he just cant let go of the bleach!!! He is a work in progress!!!! As are we all!!

Marcy #257

http://marcyjosmarket.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  09:28:29 AM  Show Profile
Welcome to the farm!

My husband eats at Taco Bell and buys over the counter medicines. I cook from scratch, organically and use herbs for medicine.
He has not idea how "green" he is because I put all kinds of herbs and seaweeds and things in my cooking, the laundry "detergent" bottle is actually filled with my own hand made from scratch laundry soap, the list goes on. If it was a perfect world, Taco Bell and that lot would be out of business and families would start eating together at the table. At the same time.
By the way, a couple of days ago, he proudly told me he called Comcast and added 50 channels to our current cable plan. yahoo. 15 of them are hockey! And all for only $15 more on top of what we're already paying. Every time I go through the new channels, it's either boobs, butts or violence. Or something so stupid that I lose brain cells within the first 10 seconds. gah. I can't control him and it keeps him home.

I woke up on January 1st and it was 2009.
And it's been that way ever since!

www.goodnaturedearthling.com
Cedar Mountain Herb School
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2009 :  5:26:00 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Kristi and Hang in there! Before we were married here is what my husband's menu was like:

Breakfast: Salt & Vinegar Potato Chips and Mountain Dew
Lunch: Ramen Noodles and Mountain Dew
Dinner: Captain Crunch (no Mountain Dew with dinner:))

He gained 20 pounds our first year of marriage because he wasn't used to eating. Oh, and Little Debbie was his friend too.

We aren't totally organic but I slowly removed anything with food coloring or artificial flavors. It took awhile for him but now he can't stand that. Then I started making my own granola and mixed in his favorite dried fruits and nuts and Bran cereal to make a healthier cereal. Maybe twice a year he will pick up Captain Crunch or Golden Grahams but I don't say anything because he has been trying hard.

He has noticed flavor in hormone-free meats and raw milk versus store bought. So He is getting there.

One of the biggest ways to persuade him was letting him know how much cheaper things cost and how much healthier they are for us.

He is getting better about the chemical thing because he knows the fumes really bother me and homemade is more cost efficient. He is thrilled with the homemade detergent and today tried the homemade deodorant I made.

Good luck and hang in there :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory
Go to Top of Page

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  06:40:02 AM  Show Profile
Oh Sharon, that sound so familiar! Last night I actually got him to go grocery shopping with me because I told him he has to pick out his own lunch stuff as he always gripes about what I pack for him. So, in the cart went the Little Debbie's and weird pink pimento lunch meat but then he said...what were those eggs you buy? The ones without the cages? And went and got the right kind. He can really surprise me like that. And he knows to pick up organic milk.

I woke up on January 1st and it was 2009.
And it's been that way ever since!

www.goodnaturedearthling.com
Cedar Mountain Herb School
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  1:31:27 PM  Show Profile
My DH really trys when it comes to shopping for organic, and more natural things....He is a pretty healthy eater and enjoys things with less fat/calories/sugar....but now he's on the look out for those same things without the chemical additives...he's cute about it too..He always brings it to my attention when he buys something organic! I tell him how apprciative I am of his thoughtfulness.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

Check out my blog!! http://bestcoupleintown.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic Getting the husband on board! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page