Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Southwestern Farmgirls, I need your help
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Southwestern Farmgirls, I need your help Next Topic  

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  05:42:11 AM  Show Profile
A couple of weeks ago, my family was out in the desert near Death Valley on a vacation, and my 2-year-old son ran into a cactus. He got needles in his shoulder and wrist that I pulled out with tweezers (as per the instructions of the people who worked at the place we were visiting at the time) and I'm pretty sure I got everything out.

Well, 2 weeks later, his shoulder seems to be cleared up, but the bumps on his wrist are still there and they look awful. They don't look infected or crusty, and I don't think he's had an allergic reation (I spoke to a poison control center in San Diego for advice), but they just aren't going away. Yesterday we put some Caladryl on them, and it appears to be helping somewhat.

I just want to know if anyone here might know a good remedy for getting rid of cactus irritation? Thanks.

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  06:36:46 AM  Show Profile
It's possible you didn't get all the little hair fine stickers that are on the cactus. I lived in Phoenix and the surrounding desert for 25 years and have gotten into my share of cactus. I find tape works very well in pulling our the fine little stickers that you can't even see. Put the tape on the area, rub it in the direction the stickers are leaning...if you can see the stickers, and then pull the tape off in the opposite direction.
I learned early on to always have a comb with a handle in my pocket when hiking through the desert. Makes it easy to "flick" any cactus pieces off of you.
Try the tape......and see it it helps. Of course, on young, tender skin, you don't want to use something like duct tape.....just a masking tape.
I hope this helps.
Kate

Heart of Texas
Chapter
AKA: Hot Farmgirl #234
http://quintessentialkate.blogspot.com

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  06:52:43 AM  Show Profile
It wasn't one of the ones that had hair-fine stickers on it, though. It was one of the ones that had relatively thick stickers with barbs at the end, so you needed tweezers to pull them out. The people at the place where we were told us that tweezers should handle it. I hope I got everything out.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  08:55:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
The barbs of the cactus might have been a little dirty so might have a little infection. Maybe rub some antibiotic ointment on the sore spots. But I would suggest the tape as well as most cacti have itty bitty spines next to the big spines. They are more of a skin irritant than anything. Most adults probably wouldn't even notice they had been stuck by one, but younger more sensitive skin can be irritated. If nothing else, it won't hurt it any.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  09:04:49 AM  Show Profile
Thanks. I'm going to wait a day or two to give the Caladryl a chance to work, and if it doesn't, I might rub it with hydrogen peroxide or buy some Neosporin.
Go to Top of Page

abbysshadow
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Sherry
Dayton Nevada
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  08:38:49 AM  Show Profile
...there always seem to be some little leftovers that just need to work themselves out of the skin eventually... probably the neosporin and keeping an eye on it is what you should do...

...I cannot do all the good that the world needs, but the world needs all the good that I can do...
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  11:49:49 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Sherry. That's reassuring.
Go to Top of Page

Buffalomary
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Mary
Caldwell ID
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  11:04:03 PM  Show Profile
Another trick for removing small cactus needles is to put a thin layer of Elmer's glue on it, let it dry, then peel it off.

Since it has been a few days, you could also apply moist heat and it will help to draw out any small cactus needles. At this point they are like splinters and will fester out or work themselves out. The moist heat will speed up the process. Soaking in warm salt water might also help. That was what one of the pediatrican's always recommended.

Buffalomary
Farmgirl Sister #293

You can take the farmer's daughter off the farm but you can't take the farm out of the farmer's daughter!!

Please visit me at my blog: http://buffalomaryscorner.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Southwestern Farmgirls, I need your help Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page