Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2009 :  7:26:32 PM  Show Profile
In a recent MJ magazine, Free Cycle was listed as a good way to pass unwanted items along to someone who could use them. This is a great way to rid your life of clutter, help someone else, and prevent landfills from piling up even more.

I do not know if anyone else has pointed out, as with most things these days, one should use caution. Free Cycle is a great program, but you will be dealing with strangers. Therefore, you need to plan as to how you will handle either picking up items or if you are willing to allow a stranger to come to your home to pick up an item.

This is especially important if you are a woman living alone or a single mother. No matter how good the deal sounds, nothing is worth endangering your life or the lives of those around you.

One precaution you might consider is to meet the other person at a public place. Of course if the item in question is large, such as furniture, meeting at a public place might be difficult. Try to make arrangements for someone to be with you or to be at your home during the exchange. If they are coming to your home, ask your friend or relative to arrive well in advance of the designated time.

Remember, safety first.

Farmgirls don't have hot flashes ~ They have power surges!

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2009 :  04:05:24 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
I love Freecycle! I have had no problems myself. I have received a cockatiel complete with large cage, a small white chihuahua, an exercise machine by Jake (new- only used three times), a rocking chair, weights and bench, and other small things. On the three freecycles that I am on there are always animals that are given away. The Humaine Society that we have here puts their animals down after 10 days. Very sad. On the freecyles I have seen everything from chickens, goats, ducks, cats, birds, dogs, and even a lizard. People even give away cars and trucks. Everybody should check it out.

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399
West-Central WI Farmgirls

"Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient." --Aristotle
Go to Top of Page

Meadowflower
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Lisa
Harrisburg Pa
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  2:58:52 PM  Show Profile
I like freecycle too. The only problem I've had is when I put out two items - one for one person and one for another. The first person came and took both items. So the second person came and there was nothing there for her. I was not happy, and wrote back to the first person to tell her she took something not hers. She never responded. I'd hope people wouldn't do things like that, or go around your house and see what's in your backyard that they can snag, etc... :D But most of the transactions I've had have been good.

*~Lisa~*

My farmish blog: http://meadowflowerfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MarySueK
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Susan
Richland WA
96 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  11:07:11 AM  Show Profile
I've had good luck with our free-cycle for the most part. The best experience was a lady asked for jeans because her husband had finally found a job but had no pants that didn't have holes in them. My husband had lost some weight and his too-big jeans were the exact size she was requesting. The only problem I've had is I offered a twin bed and frame, and people would say they wanted it but suddenly remember they didn't have a truck or car big enough to come fetch it. After going down the list through about 4 people, hauling it to the porch and waiting for people who never showed up, I realized I'd like it in the corner of the sewing room - usually one of my kids likes to come and curl up there while I'm working on something. Our free-cycle won't list animals, though once in a while one slips through - I saw a peacock listed once.
Sue in Richland, WA
Go to Top of Page

obventions
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Liz
Lexington KY
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  5:46:48 PM  Show Profile  Send obventions an AOL message  Click to see obventions's MSN Messenger address  Send obventions a Yahoo! Message
I love freecycle. I've never really had the whole... "danger" problem. I'm a good ole' country girl -- sword beside the front door, firearms nearby, and 6 years of martial arts under my belt. Not to mention my size alone... I'm 6' and 170 lbs. I'm not really dainty. LOL! Makes people think twice from time to time. That's not to say I'm not in any less danger than anyone else might potentially be, but I'm fortunate enough to have learned how to deal with those situations.
For those who don't have the same experience, a good thing to have is a keychain pepper spray bottle. Or, keep a tiny spray bottle of hairspray, or even brew your own pepper spray by soaking cayenne peppers in water or vinegar. Stick in a little bottle and you're good to go.
Having someone come over is a good idea. Having someone go with you is a good idea. But in those cases where that's not able to be arranged, it's good to try to be prepared.

The best experience I've had with freecycle was when a woman was giving away some kitchenware. Pots, pans, dish sets, etc. Well, I had emailed her about some pans -- All I had was cast iron skillets. When my hands start hurting, I can't pick them up. LOL. I had just moved into a new place, and when I left my husband, I didn't really have a whole lot because I left most of it there. Picked up my box from her door step, all was good. Got an email a couple weeks later asking me if I'd like a set of dishes, some flatware, and various kitchen utensils. It was super nice of her to think of me again -- and the dish set is fantastic! Stoneware <3

Freecycle here doesn't allow pets either, but cheapcycle does. I got my first ferret from cheapcycle for free.
Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  11:59:59 AM  Show Profile
I know most experiences are great, but here is an example I recently.....since posting went, through with Craigslist.

I bought "baby", an eight day old Lamancha billy, off Craigslist. The first three emails we exchanged the seller used their last name. They suggested we meet at an abandon restaurant about 2/3 mile off the main highway at 7:30 at in the evening.

Like a nut, I agreed - after all, it was a great deal!

dh. said, "I don't think so."

So, I emailed back and said this will work better for me - I'll met you before school (they attend college 9:00 am to 7:00 pm on Thursdays), at such and such place (current business, not an abandon building) and gave them my cell phone number.

They emailed back, agreeing to meet me on Thursday morning and sent their cell phone #. However, they stated they were severely hearing impaired, so sometimes the cell was difficult for them to use. They signed their email, this time, with their first name......Abigail.

Okay, this little gal might have been all of 22, severely hearing impaired and willing to meet at an abandon building, off the beaten path! And face it, she didn't have any idea how I was either. She lives about 40 miles from us, so other than the fact she knew which direction I would be coming from, she had no other knowledge.....and she was a tiny thing.

I think I am going to email her and ask that she please be more careful about the arrangements she makes with other people.

People need to "THINK SMART" - think safety.

Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  12:01:17 PM  Show Profile
Cheap Cycle, huh? I don't know if we have that, but I am going to find out. Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Frugalite
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

1 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2009 :  11:15:37 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies,
Our groups started out as Freecycle then we, along with most of the other Dallas based Freecycle groups, started rEcycle groups.

I have received many items including scanners, printers, beds from these organizations and I give away things too, cause I am not fond of garage sales (love going! hate having).

Melissa
Go to Top of Page

cowgirlandboys
True Blue Farmgirl

308 Posts

Rachael
Missouri
USA
308 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2009 :  8:50:20 PM  Show Profile
I love freecycle. I have a designated bench in my driveway for "pick ups" and am always cautions when picking up an item myself, usually only picking up things when folks agree to leave them on the porch or outside. My only trouble has been no shows combined with rain-- had several books ruined once. However, I have been freecycling for a few years now and that was the only trouble. It is so great to save these things from going into the dump! The best experience I had was after Hurricane Katrina hit and I asked for donations to take to my family in Mississippi-- tons of people helped us out and it was really amazing. My husband lost his job as a result of Katrina and one freecycler was kind enough to give us stocking stuffers for the kids. It is a great idea.
Rachael

Heaven is
The place where Happiness is
Everywhere.

Langston Hughes
Go to Top of Page

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  07:26:48 AM  Show Profile
I've been freecycling for 3 years now and love it.
My only complaint is that one chapter I belong to allows people to post their address in the offer and do a 'come and get it.' I wrote to the mods saying that wasn't a good idea, because you get a lot of people coming to the same place for the same thing and that wasn't right. They didn't care. I put my membership as I can look on the website, but I don't get notices anymore. I kept the membership in case I want to post a wanted there.
I have given away some big things and little things.....a teak entertainment center, a motorcycle, a vacuum to packing peanuts. It's all gold for someone. And I have received some really great stuff too!
I only had one weird experience where an old guy came to pick up a display unit and then did the "put the foot up on the bumper of his truck" and proceeded to tell me all about his love life. I stood there for a while listening politely then put the brakes on it and went back in the house.
I agree you do have to be careful. I don't give away at night or meet anyone in a lonely place. Mostly, things are just put outside and you don't have to deal with the person at all.

----------------------------------------------------------
I woke up on January 1st and it was 2009.
And it's been that way ever since!

www.goodnaturedearthling.com
Cedar Mountain Herb School
http://goodnaturedearthling.wordpress.com/

Edited by - Wildcrafter on Mar 22 2009 07:28:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  7:36:53 PM  Show Profile
I've been freecycling for several years and love it! I've never had a single bad experience either receiving or donating items. Just today, I was able to get rid of all of the old rabbit cages, carriers, nestboxes, etc that I no longer needed. It's nice to have the space back in my shed!

Rachael-Welcome fellow Missourian! :)

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!

http://farmgirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  8:02:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love freecycle! Recently we have gotten a real Cast Iron day bed for Nora. It is so amazing. The people we got it from also got it off freecycle...in Georgia!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

cowgirlandboys
True Blue Farmgirl

308 Posts

Rachael
Missouri
USA
308 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  10:35:37 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Diana! I know there are more Missouri Farmgirls out there!

Heaven is
The place where Happiness is
Everywhere.

Langston Hughes
Go to Top of Page

mothersdream
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Sheryl
Wendover Ut
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  4:45:16 PM  Show Profile
I'm learning a lot of new things here. Great discussion!

www.simplysheryls.blogspot.com
www.mothersdreamartworks.blogspot.com

Bloom where you're planted.
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  09:13:19 AM  Show Profile
I searched for "Freecycle" and found this-thought I'd bump it. I recently let go of some cookbooks through freecycle, and it was nice to "Gift" someone with the books. :)

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  09:50:34 AM  Show Profile
Ours allows pets, the usual dogs and cats are on there, but also chickens, ducks, geese, a crow was on there yesterday! lol And some one took it! lol I'm not sure what you do with a pet crow though! hahahaha

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  10:07:18 AM  Show Profile
Freecycle works fine up here in the Matsu Valley AK

CMF
Go to Top of Page

Lorraine Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

lorraine
salt point ny
USA
158 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  08:26:43 AM  Show Profile
love freecycle, I got a great cross stiching book. you do have to act fast with the posts, that is the only down side.
LorraineMichelle,

Chickens are like potato chips...
You can't have just one!
Go to Top of Page

Bensgrandma
True Blue Farmgirl

227 Posts

Alexis
White Oak PA
USA
227 Posts

Posted - May 22 2011 :  10:16:54 AM  Show Profile
We have several freecycles in our area near Pittsburgh. I use the one closest to my home and it seems to be just a small group of active people. I feel safer that way and I've gotten to know them so before I post I can contact one or two of them and say do you need this or that. Works out well.

I love freecycle but I think the warnings of be careful are relevant. I don't give out my home address until I am sure I know who is coming and I always use my husband's name in signing the email. I figure it is safer if it is a man's name on the email.

I got a nice doll house on it and a great bag of books. Have given away a ton of stuff too. I even became friends with an older woman who was giving away bamboo shoots and some perinials on there. I cautioned her to be careful because she invited me in for tea after we dug up the plants. I think she was lonely but I don't like the idea of her letting strangers in her house. We have now become great friends trading plants, ideas, etc.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsandStitches

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ACharmingExperience
Go to Top of Page

osagegypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

73 Posts

Marsha
Hominy OK
USA
73 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2011 :  5:08:28 PM  Show Profile
Being safe is always uppermost in my mind, so it's best to be aware of your surroundings and trust that little voice in your head.

"Though she never shook the stars from their appointed courses; she loved good men and rode good horses." unk.
Go to Top of Page
  HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Free Cycle Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page