Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2004 :  4:23:15 PM  Show Profile
Hello gal friends!
I've renewed an interest that I've had in re-creating old fashioned aprons, like the full length styles that were worn in the 1930-1940's. I've found an authentic pattern (you know those totally unmarked tissue paper ones), and have sewn up a few of them. They are actually pretty cute!

My question is this: Since aprons have sort of been out of fashion for a few decades, what do you think the chances are of re-establishing this custom for women? I'm not thinking about wearing them continually throughout the day as our fore-mothers did, but how about using an apron to bake cookies, or one of Mary Jane's bakeovers? Just thought I'd get a concensus from y'all before I go and sew up a bunch more based on the idea of marketing them, rather than just for my personal pleasure to give to friends and relatives. Thank you for your input! Clare

Gardener, Stitcher, Appreciator of all things Natural, & Spiritual Explorer

taylor
honeybee

40 Posts

40 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2004 :  5:01:06 PM  Show Profile
Well, I think the best way to re-establish the tradition is to start wearing and making them. I wear an apron almost everytime I cook especially if I am baking. And just so ya know there is going to be a whole section on aprons with great pictures and patterns in MaryJane's upcoming book- so keep your eye out.- Taylor
Go to Top of Page

FarmChickSerena
Farm Chick

45 Posts

Serena
WA
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2004 :  5:41:53 PM  Show Profile
Clare,
I love aprons and wear them around the house all the time. My friend Teri just gave me a new (old) one with the most beautiful rose fabric. I feel like a million bucks every time I wear it. We've got a cute picture of aprons on our website right now (www.thefarmchicks.com) they're all halves but they sure are pretty!
Good luck with your venture, and let us know when you get started!
Serena (serena@thefarmchicks.com)
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2004 :  10:18:05 PM  Show Profile
Anytime I am not wearing bib overalls around the place, more than likely I am wearing an apron. Always the bibbed type. (I am not the neatest person) always homemade (MY most favorite right now has a big chicken on it and is awfully worn out!!) and although I get teased about it by my oldest sons, I love aprons. And I always have at least one kleenex and rubber band in my pockets...and usually some hay, and clothespins, and candy wrappers and ...........
I think making aprons is a great idea. I can't imagine why everyone dosn't wear them!!!!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

Paula J.
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Paula
OK
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2004 :  09:20:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Paula J. an AOL message  Click to see Paula J.'s MSN Messenger address
I would love to have different aprons to choose from, depending on what I was doing at the time. I treat jackets in somewhat the same way -- using the pockets for nearly everything you can imagine! I never know what I'll find when I shrug into one, but I can usually count on some vitamins I forgot to take, a dog leash, dog treats, tissues, and maybe a dollar bill or two!

Right now I have just the standard aprons you can find at kitchen stores. I use several for cooking, although I don't have a designated hook for them in this kitchen like I did before. In fact, I haven't even been able to find where they were packed! Another search ... My 8 yo daughter loves wearing them, too, when she helps in the kitchen.

Then there is always the need for one when I'm in the yard.

And the apron for dog grooming -- to keep a *bit* of the hair off my clothes and for the pocket storage.

And for cleaning.

I need a *lot* of aprons ...

:)

pj

Paula J.
Collinsville, OK
dragonflybodywork@earthlink.net
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Tracy

12 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2004 :  11:13:12 AM  Show Profile
What a great topic! I love aprons and have been collecting the vintage ones for some time now. I would love to see a new trend in wearing them again. I've been pondering making some too, I have some vintage patterns and material I would love to dive into. In fact it's a little cloudy today, maybe I'll just get started on one. Wheeeee!

By the way, Serena, your website is darling! Your aprons have inspired me and I wouldn't be surprised if you don't just start a resurgence of apron wearing with that picture.

Thanks Clare for posting this!

Tracy

Nobody should have to share their water with a duck! DH
Go to Top of Page

Bronwyn
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Bronwyn
San Martin California
USA
13 Posts

Posted - May 25 2004 :  11:00:09 AM  Show Profile
Ah, farmgirls truly ROCK!
I have just been thinking about aprons and the value in having them around the house! Covering while feeding (and burping) baby, dusting, cooking, baking and dog grooming (please, not at the same time!).
I have a new sewing machine (eek!new from last year) that I haven't used yet and was thinking of making an artisit's apron for art and the baby's feedings... clever farmgirls thinking alike - again!
I think a lot of feminine things are making a comeback. That maybe with staunch feminisim we threw out the baby with the bathwater, eh? What makes us strong are the exact things that make us women.
In closing, I say go for the apron idea - for yourself first and for woman in general second.

Dream a little dream
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2004 :  11:40:05 AM  Show Profile
I must be having my mid-life crisis a little late. But I have gone to wearing aprons all the time, like mom and grandma did. It gives me such a feeling of peace and comfort to have an apron on. Weird, I know. It also gets me into the kitchen and cooking different things more often.

But anyway, I found 4 aprons for $10.00 on Ebay and they came this week. They are handmade; 2 are red-checked cotton gingham and have cross-stitching on them. One of them has a hand towel for wiping your fingers (which I do all the time). The fourth is peach cotton checked and is gathered like smocking. I love them! They are treasures, and in great shape.

I also got out my mom's 2 aprons I had packed away and freshened them up. The thanksgiving gravy stain on one will never come out, but that is okay.

My husband comes home in the early evening and looks at my aprons and smiles. He must think I am going batty, but so what else is new?

jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2004 :  10:10:29 PM  Show Profile
I've also been getting into aprons again. I read an article about using denim overall shorts. They have them at the thrift store for $1 each. You can just cut out the inseam and pull them on like an overall "skirt" or open the inseam, sew the front together to make the front flat, and cut out the back. Sew on denim straps to tie it in back.

I love the ruffly, floral aprons but I tend to get them too icky. I'm thinking denim takes a beating and still looks good. Who was the character Paulette Goddard played in "The Egg and I"? She wore great aprons in the movie. Well, I'm more like Ma Kettle anyway!
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2004 :  05:34:22 AM  Show Profile
Great Idea, Padma! I will have to check out the possibilities soon... and it's a good idea for guys (or gals) who like to BBQ too!

Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2004 :  07:31:23 AM  Show Profile
This idea reminds me of a skirt I made in 1973! I took a pair of old (but still loved) worn out jeans with wide legs, cut out the inseam and patched in the gap (front and back) with a patchwork crazy quilt pattern. Then I had a long denim skirt before they made them for sale. I wore that skirt for a long time, and kind of wish I had it now.

The denim apron idea could work with long overalls, too! Then you could make it any length you wanted by cutting and letting the bottom fray, and filling in the gap with a favorite scrap of fabric, or with some of the denim you cut away.

jpbluesky

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2004 :  11:09:12 PM  Show Profile
I have a pair of overalls that are a little too tight now for wearing to work in (wonder how THAT happened???) and maybe if I make them into a flat apron that would work..I LOVE that idea!!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2004 :  2:05:18 PM  Show Profile
Jeannie, that skirt you sewed was for sale last Fall in the "J.Jill" catalogue/store, and they wanted a small fortune for it. It was a long-ish denim, a-line style, with a cutout section of patchwork, made of velvet and other cloths. Sounds exactly what you had!

Cecelia

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2004 :  2:59:21 PM  Show Profile
Cecelia -

Story of my life! :)

jpbluesky

Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2004 :  6:16:07 PM  Show Profile
Jeannie, hope you had your idea patented/copyrighted!!!

Cecelia

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2004 :  06:10:12 AM  Show Profile
Cecelia - no patent :( but this conversation has certainly led to many ideas. Oh, if there was only more time in a day, or more appropriately, if I could only make better use of the time there is! It would be fun to make a whole bunch of aprons and skirts and have them for sale at an art show/craft festival that is coming up here in the fall. That would definitely be a different product to have! I might have to give that a try! Aprons and Hippie Skirts......and a combination thereof!

jpbluesky

Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2004 :  5:33:43 PM  Show Profile
Jeannie, you are so right about time. For awhile I was "into" making hand-stamped cards, I even was making my own paper to use with them. I thought I'd make enough to sell at a sale at my church; then my cousin informed me that you can't see them (at least in mass quantities) because the stamps are copyrighted; she makes her own stamps - I don't have time for that! I guess to sell a few would be OK though, as long as you didn't do it as a regular business. What I plan to do, due to time limitations, is make up a few of this, and a few of that (i.e. cards, aprons maybe, things that don't require a long time to finish), save them up for a year, then sell them at the rummage sale at church. It's the only way I can do it now, I'm too busy. I also offer one or two classes in the Fall or Spring, at a local school's evening adult ed classes. I've had some success doing that - you just need to research your subject, and offer things no one has before.

Good luck, Cecelia

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2004 :  9:13:42 PM  Show Profile
I used to make cloth dolls and sell them wholesale to gift shops. I did it for quite a few years. Even made mannekins for a Childrens clothing shop (high end) window. (I think there were about 12 "children" of all sizes) and sold some at craft fairs. I did teach some classes too. I had to do them all combined to make much money, but it got me through some rough financial times. I havn't made a doll in a long time..hmmmmmmm

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2004 :  05:36:49 AM  Show Profile
When I used to work for a needlework company, we published all types of needlework books, and one of them was a volume called "Olde Friends". It offered a pattern for a soft doll that looked so authentically pioneer, a prairie child might have played with it! We also did a book on Amish dolls. They had no faces. We dyed the muslin clothing with tea. They made great dolls, and I still have one. She has a bonnet and an apron, but no shoes.

Anyway, I was wanting to say...maybe it is time for you to start making dolls again. What do yours look like? Did you make up your own pattern?

Like most of these projects, the problem is how to be cost-effective. A price cannot be put on a handmade product that makes it worth the time that has been invested. And if you cut corners, it always shows.

Perhaps price is not important, though. What is important is that we continue to use our hands and our hearts to make beauty. I stitch samplers, some reproductions of historic samplers, some of my own design made in the old tradition, and 14 of them hang up and down our staircase wall. My granddaughter sleeps on a quilt I made entirely by hand. Can't put a price on those things...they are only worth something to me!

jpbluesky

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2004 :  06:13:19 AM  Show Profile
"Made With Love", that's our trademark, isn't it? I too would enjoy seeing the doll patterns, both Jenny's and Jeannie's. Or if you can find an online link that has something similar to point me to, that would work too. Thanks!

Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2004 :  11:45:08 AM  Show Profile
Jeannie is so right about being cost-effective with hand-made goods. I once made a Teddy bear (from a kit, but you had to cut out all the pieces by hand, etc.). It cost about $20 and I sewed it entirely by hand. I did some sewing on my lunch hour, when I was working out of the home, and a lady I worked with offered my $15 for it! She had no appreciation for the cost, much less the work that went into it. So now when I make things, I tend to make them with a person in mind, to give it to; if I do it to make money I have an entirely different perspective while I'm working.

Cecelia

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2004 :  8:58:16 PM  Show Profile
Clare,
I was perusing ebay after you asked the question about sources for the doll making books we were discussing, and found Olde Friends on ebay! It is being sold along with a group of 7 other doll making books. It says the publisher is Gooseberry Jam. I can give you the item number if you want or you can look under doll making on ebay.

I was surprised to see it, it has been out of print for a long time.

jpbluesky

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2004 :  10:34:50 PM  Show Profile
Most of the dolls I made were sort of chubby toddler looking dolls with fluffy yarn hair. I did alot of custom orders for "look alike dolls" for special gifts too. They were sort of similar to the "Carolee Creations" dolls. I am sure there is a website. I used unbleached muslin for the bodies and stuffed them very firmly. I sure had fun with them. The last few years I was selling dolls to shops I also made pioneer and mammy and picaninny type dolls too..very flat and simple with homespun clothes and linen aprons. they sold very well. I made alot of them and they were very cheap to make from scraps. The others I had to buy my fabric in bulk to make and ordered my polyfil to stuff them with in bulk too...it was a whole different world. I have alot of books on dollmaking, and have one book with a pioneer type doll with a painted face..painted on the fabric..that I always planned to make. I think I may have to dig that one out.

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2004 :  1:56:09 PM  Show Profile
Clare you are right on with the apron idea! I found some vintage apron patterns at a garage sale for 25 cents. They are adorable! I have the aprons I made in Home Economics 8th grade: blue and red ginghams. Aprons are very cool and practical. The Vermont Country Store catalogue sell cute 40's vintage remakes red cherry prints for a lot of money. I collect aprons when I can. Most women hang on to their aprons or pass them on. I would love to see pics of your aprons. MeadowLark Jenny
Go to Top of Page

HiDez Gal
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Roberta
Joshua Tree, CA
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2004 :  10:14:13 PM  Show Profile
A really neat cloth doll book is "Prairie People" by Marji Hadley & Dianne Ridgley. Lots of precious dolls and ideas for using things like old fabrics and bits of old crochet edging, etc.

I used to make bears as gifts for my nieces when they were young and have also made them for one of my nieces children. I like the old timey looking bears so that is generally what i make.

I was going to make an apron/s but got side tracked, seeing this topic renews my interest. Think i will do some sewing now that i am pretty much housebound during this spell of really hot weather. I used to sew a lot but don't have the space to really set up and then be able to leave a mess while working on a project so i don't sew nearly as much these days. The heck with it the mess i'm gonna sew :-)

From my favorite coffee cup:
"A gal's gotta do what a gal's gotta do." Minnie Cody, 1901
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2004 :  08:46:02 AM  Show Profile

I received this in an email today, and I thought it was worth posting. Reflections are often good.....

Grandma's Apron

The principle use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath, but along with that, it served as a holder for removing hot pans from the oven; it was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears.

From the chicken-coop the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven.

When company came those old aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids; and when the weather was cold, grandma wrapped it around her arms.

Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove. Chips and kindling-wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron.

From the garden it carried all sorts of vegetables. After the peas had been shelled it carried out the hulls. In the fall it was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees. When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.

When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out on the porch and waved he apron, and the men knew it was time to come in from the fields for dinner.

It will be a long time before anyone invents something that will replace that old-time apron that served so many purposes.

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Aprons Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page