CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2006 :  06:53:27 AM  Show Profile
do you have a special 'sign' or tangible artifact .. that you consider your 'totem'? (did you read "Clan of the Cave Bears" where the little girl's 'sign' was that of a LION because she was (as a very young child) scarred by a lion's claw .. yet avoided death by him)?

i seem to find 'feathers' wherever i go .. lying right in front of my path .. so .. for many years, i've considered my 'totem' to be a 'feather' .. i have saved most of them all together. Not sure what it signifies ... perhaps my 'flighty' personality .. or my desire to 'soar' (hmmmmm ... both would surely be appropriate!)
oh ... and maybe my 'angel-being' would be nice!

how about you girls? xo

True Friends, Frannie

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2006 :  09:02:50 AM  Show Profile
Well I'd have to say at least one of my totem animals is a squirrel. And I am pretty squirrelish. I also have a very strong connection to owls and dogs.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2006 :  09:15:19 AM  Show Profile
Mine would be a chicken! he he Outside of raising them I have also inadvertantly started collecting vintage, white ceramic roosters and hens. I didn't realize it was happening until my husband pointed it out! haha

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2006 :  3:08:52 PM  Show Profile
Mine would be a mule for sure...pretty dang stubborn..and sturdy.

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2006 :  3:11:03 PM  Show Profile
Well gee, mine must be a horse. I was born in the Chinese Year of the Horse, have horses all over my house and live ones in the barn, have hundreds of books on all aspects of horses, and wear horses on my clothes. And as far as being slashed by a lion goes, I've been kicked, bitten, stepped on, thrown sky high, rubbed off, and crowded into solid objects. Yes, I have scars. My chiropractor says I have many subluxations, and every one has a horse's name on it.

So yeah, I have a totem. And if it's not a horse, it's a dim bulb.
Go to Top of Page

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2006 :  4:38:32 PM  Show Profile
I would say mine is birds.I love all birds and I also tend to find feathers everywhere.
Alicia

http://fromcitytocountrygirl.blogspot.com/
follow your dreams
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2006 :  4:52:41 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I guess mine is a dog.

Strays always seem to find me, it's like I have a sign only they can see "I will feed and love you and find you a home" tattooed on my forehead somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2006 :  04:03:13 AM  Show Profile
Frannie, I had forgotten about that book. I think I read it about 20 years ago. I'll have to refresh my memory on it....just their "ug" talk is coming to me right now.

I have so many interests and collections that represent parts of me....hard to pin down just one thing that I would identify myself with. It might be a chili pepper....I love red, I like spicy, I'm part cajun and am known for my cooking (being good, that is), and I'm pretty spicy in personality, too.

I suppose another symbol for myself would be a rock. My grandmother was always the matriarch and rock of our family. She lived with us until her passing in 2004. It was such an honor to care for her at her most vulnerable moments. The place of rock and cornerstone of my whole family has seemed to be given to me....such a bitter sweet place to be.

Blessings!
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2006 :  05:05:42 AM  Show Profile
i'm loving reading of everyone's 'totem' .. really gives a great picture of who we see ourselves as. keep 'em coming farmgirls!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2006 :  05:18:23 AM  Show Profile
Mine is definitely a fox. I even did a totem ritual once from a book called Medicine Cards from Sams and Carson. First card up....the fox. That cemented my premonitions right there. I have many stories of real foxes showing up in my life as I have hiked through the wild, and even in my backyard. I do not know what it means, and I hope it does not mean I am sly and cagey! I like to think it means I am smart, a little wild, but fiercely protective of my loved ones. My little fox visitor would come to my yard, limping, and I would feed him dry dog food on the ground. He then began to bring his wife, and he would curl up beside her and let her eat first before he ate. I loved that.

"Sell cleverness and buy wonder"
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2006 :  08:28:35 AM  Show Profile
Oh JP, I love that Fox story.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2006 :  11:57:55 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Sqrl! In my totem book, the squirrel is one who can plan ahead for lean times. Their gathering power is a great gift. A squirrel knows how to store energy and find good food around it in the earth. It is always prepared. It also knows safe places. It has the agility to circle a branch at lightening speed which makes it hard to catch by hunters. By the way, you are a nutrition expert aren't you?

Back to my fox stories....have we covered wild animal stories anywhere else.....probably. :) If not, it would be a good one to share.

Edited by - jpbluesky on Jan 06 2006 12:06:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

shepherdess
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Robin
Eatonville Washington
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2006 :  12:40:29 AM  Show Profile
Mine is the Raven.Raven came to me after my dad passed away. My dad was a retired logger and in the woods when the loggers see a Raven it is supposed to be the spirit of a logger that has passed away.The spring after my dad passed a Raven came to my pasture and has been back every year since. Ialso love to find heart shaped rocks. I have taught my grandchildren to find them. Heart shaped rocks are very important in our lives.

Farm Girl from Western Washington
" From sheep to handspun "
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2006 :  06:45:41 AM  Show Profile
Robin - it is good that you are able to notice things like the raven coming into your life. I think these signs are all about us, but we sometimes fail to notice them and read into them the true meaning. I have been to many funerals where something similar happened. One of my friends, whose husband had been a great outdoorsman, stood over his grave at the cemetery, and above her I saw a beautiful hawk circling and circling. It was a clear blue day, and the hawk was directly above her, and very low. I still do not know if anyone else noticed it, and I have never told her, but someday maybe I will be brave enough to tell her what I think it was. I am glad you have your raven.

Oh, and once I found a rock that had a design on it that looked exactly like a candle with a flame. I found it in the Grand Tetons and brought it back to Florida. The only marking on it was the candle shape. I gave it to a friend battling lung cancer but she lost it when she had to leave work and was packing her stuff. I often wonder where that rock is! Now I will look for heart shaped rocks.

Edited by - jpbluesky on Jan 07 2006 06:48:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

Judes
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Jude
OH
USA
156 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2006 :  10:07:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Judes a Yahoo! Message
I love reading these! I have always had "animal messengers" I know that birds are one of them, because at several points in my life birds have come into my world in strange, strange ways & acted in nontraditional bird fashion. I have always loved turtles, but never made a point of telling anyone...then an artist friend began painting me a large series of turtles. I'm sure there are others. I was given an Animal Medicine book about 8 years ago, and anytime I have reccurrant animal sightings or "totems" I look it up. I'll look into it to see what it says about all of yours!

Robin-A friend of mine's husband, a construction worker, once found a heart shaped rock while he was on site, our of town on a job. He picked it up, thinking nothing of it and brought it to her. She was more delighted by it than any other gift he had ever given her, so he kept an eye out for them. He has been bringing them home for decades now. She now has a "heart shaped rock garden". They look so beautiful, almost spiritual...when they are all together. Some of them are "almost" hearts, but most of them are perfectly formed heart shapes. I think that's such a wonderful tradition for your grandchildren.

If anyone wants to share animals stories...let me know. I'm overdue for my "Turkey Tale"!

Judes

http://schoolstreet.typepad.com
www.jac.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2006 :  11:13:23 AM  Show Profile
Jude .. let's "Talk Turkey"!!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2006 :  6:29:13 PM  Show Profile
What is a good book to buy on animal messengers/meanings ?
Go to Top of Page

jenny louise
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

jennifer
cass city MI
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2006 :  04:23:22 AM  Show Profile
The Great Blue Heron is one of my totems, another is bear, and snake, and buffalo. Also, maple tree. I designed a tatoo after a vision quest and had it put onto my back where noone sees it.
I meditate outside and the heron always finds me; it brings a tear to my eye and thrills me to my core when they fly over and make their call.
Animal Speak is a great book on the subject.
Jenny
Go to Top of Page

Debs
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Debs
Wellington
New Zealand
100 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2006 :  09:27:08 AM  Show Profile
It's not an animal but I think my totem "creature" is a bumblebee, or it could be a blackbird, there always seems to be one anywhere I go, in the city, in the garden, even when I travel! Or is it just that they are everywhere anyway? It could be a cat also, as they seem to always be friendly to me, even if they are not to other people.

Debby
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2006 :  10:02:06 AM  Show Profile
I think mine is a butterfly

Molly
http://mollymaequilts.tripod.com
"This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet."~Rumi

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2006 :  10:56:02 AM  Show Profile
Helen, a good book that I use is called Medicine Cards by Sams and Carson. It comes with a set of cards (optional)from which you can do readings, but it is nice also because it explains the meanings of the creatures that come into our lives.

Jenny Louise, the bear is the power of truth and introspection. This inner knowing reflects our intuitive side of the brain, the right side.

The snake teaches on a personal level that you are a universal being. Snake medicine people were very rare, because their intuition involved experiencing and living through multiple bites! Yikes. The power of snake medicine is the power of creation.

The buffalo is the most sacred animal, and means prayer and abundance. It was the major source of sustenance for the Plains Indians, as we all know. So it is seen as the Great Giver.

The butterfly symbolizes the art of transformation, of new ideas being born, clarity of the mental processes, and assistance in finding the next step in your life.

The black bird, or raven, is a strong symbol. It carries a lot of magic and healing. The American Indians did not see it as a dark symbol but one of mystery, healing and energy.

The heron is majestic and solitary (most of the time) and a lover of the quiet waters. It denotes quiet beauty.

Debs I could not find a bumblebee in my book! I am sure there are more books out there that cover more living things. Like mighty trees.

No matter what our beliefs, it is fun to consider the ancient meanings of other cultures....I believe God speaks to us in many ways.

Edited by - jpbluesky on Jan 08 2006 11:06:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2006 :  2:10:54 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for that Jpbluesky, will try and get hold off it. I do use a deck of very old gyspy cards, that great to work with, they are also based on animals.
Go to Top of Page

jenny louise
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

jennifer
cass city MI
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2006 :  2:21:07 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info and time to look it up, JP!
Jenny
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2006 :  3:52:44 PM  Show Profile
You guys are welcome! Gypsy cards, Helen? What are they like? Sound very interesting.

Edited by - jpbluesky on Jan 08 2006 3:53:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2006 :  5:44:23 PM  Show Profile
These Gypsy cards have been done by Svetlana Alexandrovna Touchkoff, and are based on gyspy teachings of the nineteenth century Russia. A woman was selling cards decks on trade/me, similair to e-bay, anyway asked if she had any others. She said she had this set and that I could have it for the price she put it up at, but then, she put it up for auction. Anyway, placed my bid and was the only one, so got then at then original price she offered them to me for. Felt they must have been meant for me. The cards are divided into 4 triangles and can be turned certain ways to make 2 triangles make a complete picture.
Go to Top of Page

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2006 :  6:17:31 PM  Show Profile
Deb, Bee meaning is:

BEE - denotes industrious and cooperative teamwork and denotes diligence and a sense of order. A beeswarm suggests an overwhelming situation Being stung by a bee can represent a negative situation. Dreaming of a bee flying away can symbolize death as the bee is the soul, but if the bee flies into the mouth of the dead person, that person will come back to life. In the mediterranean civilizations, the bee was seen to be brave, chaste, industrious, clean and lives harmoniously. The Christians looked upon the bee hive as the church and the bees as the parishioners, who collected only the best from all the flowers. They were symbols of purity and abstinence. In the secular world, the bee was a royal symbol and the queen bee was long regarded as a King. The sweetness symbolised Christ and his mercy. The sting was felt to be the last judgment.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic your "TOTEM" Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page