Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2006 :  6:38:29 PM  Show Profile
Utah is the "beehive state"...something to be proud of now that I hear what it symbolizes!!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2006 :  11:22:45 AM  Show Profile
<<The butterfly symbolizes the art of transformation, of new ideas being born, clarity of the mental processes, and assistance in finding the next step in your life.>>

Thank you Jeannie for looking this up . This is very fitting as my life has been undergoing many transformations through the past 6 months (and I'm working on the next steps in my life in certain areas). This means a lot to me!

Molly
http://mollymaequilts.tripod.com
"This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet."~Rumi

Go to Top of Page

twigs
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

tiffany
lacie ky
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2006 :  6:03:22 PM  Show Profile  Send twigs an AOL message
mine would be the sheep, i see them almost everywhere i go and always find them in pictures or something, then learned my freat grandmother was an artist and her favorite thing was sheep i hope to one day have her drawing of it, its beautful, i love to work with sheep wool too
twigs

May you be surrounded by the things of olde that make you feel like a treasure!
Go to Top of Page

realme52
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Klara
Gatesville Texas
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2006 :  07:14:18 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Frannie for bringing this up!
I consider myself a spiritual person, but have never thought about considering what my "animal" totem would be. Now I pondered it for a while: Maybe it would be a Dragonfly. I have a strong attraction to how they look, move, what they can do ("stand" still in the air, "land" on water...). I am fascinated by the light playing on their wings creating new colors. Their wings must have been the original inspiration for those magnificent lead glass cathedral windows.
I remember vividly that as a small child I was afraid of them because (as I recall it) "I couldn't see their face". The fact that I like them now is a symbol of how you can grow and change, how you can learn things if you just look close enough.
I had them hoovering over me when I work in the garden and once one of them landed on my shoulder.
And while I was thinking, another thing occured to me: their name! It's Dragon and Fly, two quite oppositional incorporations.
Thanks for spuring these insights. For me and everyone else who responded.

From this hour I ordain myself loss'd of limits and immaginary lines. Walt Whitman
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2006 :  07:52:29 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Can you have an animal totem, and a bug totem?

I too have dragonflies everywhere I go. The first time I saw a red one, I was on my parent's roof about 10 years ago. It hovered by me for a looong time, landed next to me, flew off, came back.

They have always landed on me, or been on my backpack if I set it down.

How about a mythical totem?

I know "dragons" are supposed to be mythical... but I have a very strong attatchment to them. I drew them often as a kid. I have red Dragon China that my mother's friend got from her mother, and hated. I love it. I'm a fighter (physically and mentally - I called one of my spinning kicks the "dragon's tail" because that's how I could see one whipping around and surprising someone), sometimes I feel like I am afire with the need to do something or set it right. Dragons, so I have heard, are supposed to be loyal, and family-oriented, and lovers of peace and quiet. I was also born the year of the Dragon... and something funny - my hubby's initials are "DRA."

If your totem has to be a real animal... while dogs always seem to come to me, I don't know that they are my totem, really. I think they just know they are safe with me.
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2006 :  10:20:37 AM  Show Profile
My mythical "animal" would a Gnome.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2006 :  12:26:37 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Sqrl, that's cute! I love gnomes.

Now: why a gnome?
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2006 :  10:28:25 AM  Show Profile
I just love Gnomes, they've always been my favorite little guys.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

CountryGirl85
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Laura
Oswego IL
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2006 :  7:26:51 PM  Show Profile  Send CountryGirl85 an AOL message  Send CountryGirl85 a Yahoo! Message
I know I'm late in replying, but I wanted to share my totem animal with everyone. Mine is the Great Blue Heron. I knew the heron was guiding me a few years ago when I was struggling with depression. Many times when I felt sad or hopeless I'd look out the window and see a heron flying overhead. I also had dreams about them. I remember one winter having a dream and the next day in the car I was thinking about the dream when a heron flew by. They always seem to lift my spirits. I have always been a shy person, I was always a little "different", never had lots of friends, and always felt like the odd man out. I also enjoy spending time alone, hiking, thinking, reading, writing. I always saw these things as flaws, but the heron has showed me that it's ok to be who you are. Great Blue Herons are solitary birds most of the time, but when it's time to mate and raise their young, they form small communities. I have realized that it's ok to enjoy time spent by myself and that the friends and family I have are enough, but I have to make sure I take the time to be with them as well. I feel the Great Blue Heron is speaking to me right now. I was feeling a little lost today, kind of sad, kind of confused, and I happened upon this thread. Thanks for letting me share with y'all! As for mythical creatures, I'm drawn to fairies. I think they are angels of Nature. I'll definitely have to check out some books on the subject of totems and spirit guides!

Much love,
Laura
Go to Top of Page

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2006 :  8:59:39 PM  Show Profile
I enjoy time alone too Laura, dont feel bad about it. I think it is a great gift, that you are able to be comfortable with yourself. Alot of people "need" others around and are unable be content by themselves.I also love fairies. In shamanism,working with animal spirits the Heron represents:All aspects of diversity
Self-reliance
Boundaries
Exploration
Self-esteem
Balancing multiple tasks
Dignity

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2006 :  09:30:11 AM  Show Profile
wanted to send a great big THANK YOU to Christine Telcamp for the lovely package of Turkey Down Feathers .. my 'totem' .. feathers .. they have been lovingly added to my collection of 'totems'. thank you darlin' for thinking of me! xoxo p.s. gonna' save that TWO DOLLAR bill too!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic your "TOTEM" Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page