Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Miss Wilma, Janice, Miss Feb/Vi and Kentucky girls
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Miss Wilma, Janice, Miss Feb/Vi and Kentucky girls Next Topic
Page: of 3

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2009 :  4:44:12 PM  Show Profile
We love all of you Kentucky gals, and I feel so glad that this storm has gone by - now for the clean-up, but at least it is gone. I hate to think of all the pretty trees gone, but I hope your homes are safe. Miss Wilma - good to hear that baby is okay.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2009 :  5:04:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Thanks,Wilma. We're using a kerosene heater tonight. We just huddle up with the dogs. We need to buy a generator for ourselves, too. There aren't any available here. It may take from a week to ten days(maybe more). I even thought about staying in my nice warm office overnight, and then when I went in today, there was an enormouse dead roach in front of my door and another one in the women's bathroom! I think they died of lonliness.....all the people have been gone since Monday! LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2009 :  6:52:41 PM  Show Profile
I'm just checking in real quick. We lost power around noon Wednesday. We went to my husband's parents house who lost their power but had a kerosene heater. It was so cold in the room and sleeping in a recliner was no fun. We are at a hotel for the next couple of nights. We were told it may be a week before we get power. The governor issued a state of emergency for us and the President signed federal orders so we can get the help from other states. Some counties were completely dark and were running out of water. Several large colleges canceled classes for the week. My husband's parents road, which is a connecting road between two major roads, has yet been touched by a plow. Oh yeah, and hubby locked himself out of his car while it was running yesterday...so one of the deputy sheriff's had to come rescue him. He definitely won't live that down! Oh and I was doing laundry so I have a pile of wet clothes in the dryer. Ugh. I'm going to have to rewash them but lord knows when.

I did drop by the house during lunch & the temperature inside was below 50. Tree fell on our neighbor's power lines but it was mainly a transformer that blew a few doors down. Last night hotels jacked up their prices to $200 a night and we refused. Thankfully as soon as I got to work this morning, I booked a room and got AAA discount.

I'll try to post and keep ya'll up to date. We have free internet and I brought my laptop. I would just love to be in my own bed right now. Thank goodness it will soon be the weekend.

Jessica
Blog: http://bluegrassprincess.blogspot.com/
Etsy: http://kyphotography.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

farmmom22
True Blue Farmgirl

616 Posts

Tammy
Scottsville KY
USA
616 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2009 :  6:56:43 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness Melanie, I'm so sorry to hear that. I will keep all of you in my prayers. Glad to hear that all the KY girls made it through the storm. Miss Wilma, I was thinking about you through all of this. Glad to hear it was only electricity and trees that you lost. Hope your back gets better real soon. We never lost power, but our heat is acting crazy and keeps tripping the breaker. But no complaints, because everyone is safe and sound.

Best farm wishes
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2009 :  6:57:33 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness Jessica, those hotel owners should get a kick in the tushie buckets for doing that!!!!!! IMO

Miss Wilma, I loved your pine trees out front and wow, 2 of your cherries and an apple. I am sure there are many of you who have lost a lot, the weight of an ice storm on trees and power lines is tremedous.

Now Miss Wilma, no doing clean up, you rest that back of yours!!!!

www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2009 :  7:29:58 PM  Show Profile
Carol Sue all I can do is just look at the mess, but as long as everyone is warm and well thats what counts. We have no idea when we will get water, but tomorrow we can switch back over to the well for washing and bathing.All in all its so much better than yesterday, I did get a lot of hand stitching and stuffing done so my time hasnt been wasted

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2009 :  9:32:36 PM  Show Profile
I figured you would be doing some hand work, I am certainly glad you all are okay, and you are so right, as long as family and friends are okay, life is grand.

Go to Top of Page

tribalcime
True Blue Farmgirl

2963 Posts

lisa
lexington ky
USA
2963 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2009 :  03:41:30 AM  Show Profile
MIne came back on last nigth late... hoping it stays on. They said on news that some of KY will be up to 2 weeks to get them all back up...where it was hit the worse. I did rearrange the living room to stay warm yesterday.

LIfe is a witch ~~~ and then ya fly !! My blogspot .http://tribalwitch.blogspot.com/ and my barter blog is at www.bartertribalwitch.blogspot.com and www.alteredartfun.blogspot.com

Edited by - tribalcime on Feb 01 2009 4:06:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2009 :  07:05:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
We got lucky and found a Home Depot in New Albany, IN. that got a shipment of generators in at midnight last night. We got one of the last ones this morning. Mike is going to help us hook it up later. The latest tally on folks in Louisville without power is 175,000. It looks so much worse than when we got the tail end of Ike. It hasn't been that long ago that all the debris from that was cleared away totally. Carol Sue - At least the daylilies are covered up and sleeping through this! :) Remember, I owe you some, because you forgot yours at Wilma's. And the last time I checked the Oakleaf Hydrangea, it still looks to me like the branches that are touching the ground have rooted! Keep your fingeres crossed, girl! Spring will get here...it always does. Like my favorite line about spring from a poem by ee cummings: "No one can stop it, my darling...not with all the policemen in the world"

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2009 :  08:03:02 AM  Show Profile
ice storms are awful. I have been through a few and the damage is so sad to watch. Janice, glad you got a generator, that will be a big help.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MissDana
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

Dana
Carrollton Georgia
USA
348 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2009 :  1:11:36 PM  Show Profile
My dear Knob Lick Country Club members!!! Eva and I have watched as that crazy ice storm has taken it's toll up there! And like Kelly said, we are perhaps in the path of winter weather down here in Atlanta next week! Now, I want SNOW as some of you know, but ice can just stay away!! Pretty, but dangerous! Atlanta had The Ice Storm in 1982 which was insane! Don't want to do that again!

Proud Farmgirl Sister # 267
www.schultztroupe.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2009 :  1:19:26 PM  Show Profile
I'm soooo glad you found a generator, Janice. I am very concerned about you and Wilma--we are very lucky here, I think. Even though we got hit with both the snow and ice, and it snowed again last night, and tonight will be 0, and then more snow through Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, I feel as if we totally dodged a bullet. Makes me REALLY think about our infrastructure, doesn't it you? I understand our man, B.O. has provided immeditate emergency funding for most of the hardhit counties, including Jefferson.

It's a good time to have big snuggly dogs, no?
Go to Top of Page

downbranchroad
True Blue Farmgirl

374 Posts

Joy
Southern KY
USA
374 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2009 :  2:44:21 PM  Show Profile  Send downbranchroad a Yahoo! Message
Gurls, I have said prayers for you all. Here in extream Southern KY. We got lots of rain, some snow and cold temps. No ice! We did have a lady in our county that lost her life in a auto accident the day it was snowing so hard. Pray for that family. She had a son that was a freshman and a daughter in college.
Our roads is clear and most of the snow is gone!

Appalachian Girl
Jem

*If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got.

http://downbranchroad.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2009 :  3:32:33 PM  Show Profile
Glad to hear that folks are getting electricity. We are still without power and the mayor said that it could take 1-2 weeks. My husband's parents road, which is in downtown Lexington and connects two major roads has yet been touched the entire time. Folks are getting stuck trying to check on loved ones. Needless to say, I called downtown and voiced my concerns to them. Not only his parents live there, but his grandparents and another set of relatives...but also a lot more elderly. His mom and brother did go down and check on folks today. Some said that no one else had checked on them.

This morning we were met with about another inch of snow and now they are saying we should expect more come later this weekend. There is some good news in all the bad....my work is paying for a full workday for everyone that missed due to the electricity and it won't be counted against us. I was worried because that was 8 hours I really needed.

We are staying in our "vacation retreat" through Sunday for now. Just hope that we get electric soon!!!

Jessica
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2009 :  09:41:13 AM  Show Profile
Checking in on the girls and see how you guys are doing. We still have no power. I did find a hotel room right next door that is $30 cheaper than what we are paying so we are making the switch there. The hotels have been hard to find that don't cost an arm and a leg. It's ridiculous. Hubby's parents & grandparents are still without power.

On a happy note...the skies are clear blue and the sun is shining. And now they are saying that the big snowstorm they thought we were going to get Sunday night...may not come afterall. Hopefully that will help the crews repair the electric lines and such.

Jessica
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2009 :  12:53:13 AM  Show Profile
Oh Janice, so glad that you got a generator, my goodness you girls, we have 0 temps here, not you ladies!!!!!!
Glad you keep checking in and letting us know you are okay. We haven't had snow since the first part of January.

Yes, checking on folks and trying to get the roads taken care of here for those 3 weeks was nuts and difficult. It was neighbor helping neighbor as much as you could. You are suppose to have more weather, ehhh gads girls!!!!!
Will Certainly be keeping you all in prayer!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2009 :  10:16:57 AM  Show Profile
Checking in with semi good news....we finally saw a power truck in our subdivision. Hopefully we will have power soon. Hubby's parents & grandparents got their power last night. We're getting restless here. I did stop by the house and had to throw out 4 garbage bags full of food. I just bought groceries before this, but not a lot. I think we've totaled it up that we've had to spend over $500 already with hotel, eating out, groceries thrown away, gas money driving back and forth (our town doesn't have a hotel), laundry, and now to buy new groceries when we can. It's frustrating needless to say. I'm sorry if I sound in a bleh mood, but it gets frustrating having to figure out what to do next or where will you go next. I can only imagine what folks who lost everything in their homes due to fires or floods deal with things. We are blessed and fortunate that our home is safe. We don't have kids or pets so at least we don't have to worry about those type things either.

Hope my fellow KY and neighboring state farmgirls are hanging in there!!

Jessica
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2009 :  1:57:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Miss Dana - The next time you see a Georgia Power truck, blow them a kiss from me. Those guys have been life savers here in Louisville. They've shown up in convoys and worked, worked, worked! We got power late last night. But still about 135,000 folks have nothing. A block away from us, no power yet. Our friend who owns a tool rental shop in Irvington lost his shop in a fire Thursday morning. Thank heavens no limbs hit the farmhouse or the trailer. But there are tons of large limbs hanging by a thread in the big trees near the farmhouse. We sure don't need any windy days. Vi - Yes, thank goodness for big, snuggly doggies! :) And even big , fat cats are helpful, too! :D

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

lilyblossom
True Blue Farmgirl

416 Posts

Donna
Evansville IN
USA
416 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2009 :  4:08:24 PM  Show Profile
Janice - great news about your power!! Jessica - I hope you all get your power reconnected soon! Keep us posted.

Donna...true blue KY farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

LynnDinKY
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Kentucky
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2009 :  4:44:33 PM  Show Profile
We got our power back late Friday night. It was so nice to take a warm shower in MY shower.

We started yesterday, empting out our basement to clean up. What a chore. I didn't know I had sooooooo much stuff.
We are already making decisions on how we are gonna remodel everything. I was telling my dh and he laughed because I knew exactly what I wanted and how I wanted it. Hey! Let's do it right this time. ;)

The roof is looking good, we have to replace some boards and the front gutters. The tree is completely down and ready for hauling away.

I thought I was busy now....This winter/spring is gonna be a doozy.

Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. Proverbs 31:30

Edited by - LynnDinKY on Feb 01 2009 4:45:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2009 :  4:51:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I agree, Lynn. Like we didn't have enough projects in the pipeline for spring....now we have to play catchup/cleanup. Ick!!!!!

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  1:46:08 PM  Show Profile
I am sure you all will have clean up for a while. Yeah, some of you are getting power back, now for the rest of you girls to get it too!!!!!!!

Keep going girls, you can do it, stay safe while you are!!!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

LynnDinKY
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Kentucky
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  5:55:55 PM  Show Profile
The Honey-man got the rest of the carpet up today. He's such a hard-worker. We are working around the heavy stuff, but all the boxes and other stuff are up in one of the bedrooms. and the dining room and our bedroom.

Next weekend I get to sign all the kiddies up for baseball or soccer. I am soooo not ready for this.

Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. Proverbs 31:30
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  8:52:15 PM  Show Profile
We finally got our electric back on tonight. I've never been so frustrated in my life being without power for 6 days and no one having answers. That truck that I told you about earlier...yeah it was here for an hour and left without doing any work. Today, they didn't come back until about 4PM to start working in our subdivision. Our county had the slowest response from the utility company than any of the others if you compare numbers and see how fast they dropped. We are thankfully that we have the electric on. First time in a week we've been able to sleep in our own beds tonight. The house was down to almost 35 degrees...I can only imagine how cold it was when the temps were in the teens. Still gotta cleanup all of the debris in the yard and we still have a cable line laying in the yard that is our neighbors.

Jessica
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  12:12:44 AM  Show Profile
What a terrible storm it was! I hope everything gets better for you, Jessica, and so glad you are warm now!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Miss Wilma, Janice, Miss Feb/Vi and Kentucky girls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page